Extension cords ??

I remember seeing a post about bringing extension cords onboard, due to the lack of outlets..Any problems with them in your luggage when checking in at the airport or getting on the ship ? What about a power strip..Have never brought these items...so info please from those that have...

Never a problem. My wife and I both use CPAP machines. Hence we bring a power strip and three extension cords that we run underneath the beds. The power strip allows us to charge batteries, laptop, etc, on the table and still leave everything else plugged in.

If you need the extention cord for medical reasons (CPAP etc) RCCL will provide you with one.

I have always taken a power strip. Too many things to charge not to have it!

Ditto. We emailed special needs to request one this trip as it's our first with a CPAP but we will be bringing our own one as well.

No problem with bringing the extension cords. I bring a short one, so I can plug in my DVD player at night. I always have a 3 outlet plug in my carry on, but I rarely use it.

We charge our camera over night in the 2nd plug, but our phone is fully charged when we leave home, no need to recharge it since it's turned off. No laptop along, no curling irons, just a blow dryer...so the 2 plugs are plenty for us.

I had a cabin (don't remember which ship) where my camera battery charger would not plug in directly. The charger had a polarized plug, and needed to point down because of this, but the plug was too close to the desk. I would not have been able to charge my camera batteries if I had not brought an extension cord.

I also bring a lot of electronic gear, including a GPS for the cabin window. So I need length and lots of outlets. Believe it or not, a Christmas tree cord works great. It lays along the length on my counter and has 3 sets of outlets which can take the wall transformers. Here's a picture of one still coiled up. Imagine this stretched out; about 7 feet long.

http://www.oogalights.com/Home-Garden/Lighting-Accessories/Extension-Cords-Plugs-Outlets/549355-15-Foot-Christmas-Tree-Light-Extension-Cord.jpg

If any of your cords need a grounded plug, you would need a different cord, or maybe a grounded power strip and this cord.

About the certification, try to bring one that has a UL (Underwriters Laboratory) sticker. I suspect that's what they're looking for to make sure it won't catch fire.

On one cruise I asked my stateroom attendant for a cord and got a nice heavy duty grounded cord within seconds.

Ray

Archived