I like how X is handling the NORO outbreak

JEDIKNIGHT

They are basically stopping an income stream for 78 hours to give the ship a thorough cleaning. And, they'll start at code red..this according to the Harnahan interview. That plus the full refunds/15% future discount IMO is reasonable and fair when it's not certain that people getting a virus is X's fault in the 1st place.

I've not been on a Code Red cruise. Based on what I read here...it basically slows things down.

My two cents which I'm sure many will disagree with and that's cool:

I wouldn't mind Code Red being the norm, especially if they added a little more staff.

Smell of bleach? No self-serve buffet, salt packets instead of shakers? I would take no offense if that was the 'way of life' on a cruise.

Beats getting that nasty virus and being confined to a cabin.

IMHO... well okay, IMO to be honest ;)

Hi Jedi !

I agree. I feel Celebrity is doing everything possible to resolve this. They are being extremely proactive, and generous. These types of events, cost Celebrity a great deal of money, and it's not their fault. The sad part is, most all of this happens from folks who bring it onboard. Neither Celebrity, or any Cruise line can do much to stop it from coming onboard.

For Celebrity's insight on this, you should check out Cruise Critic's Q & A with Dan Hanrahan, President of Celebrity Cruises : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1165573

Let's hope Celebrity can resolve it, with the current cleaning.

IMHO X is doing a yeoman's job dealing with the repeated Mercury noro outbreaks, clearly a difficult situation, both practically speaking and from a public relations perspective. By pulling Mercury out of commission for a few days and offering pax compensation and/or the ability to cancel without prejudice, the cruise line has in effect accepted responsibility for something that is completely beyond its control - quite admirable at a time when individuals and businesses dodge accountability like the plague.

As far as the suggestion re making Code Red the norm and learning to adjust to a new "way of life on a cruise," I hope it doesn't come to that. We've been on a couple of the infamous X bleach cruises and a Connie cruise which was Code Red and while the measures taken to curtail the virus were certainly necessary, they did in fact impact those cruises, even if just a bit. When one considers that the vast majority of pax and crew, even those on a noro sailing, remain healthy and unaffected, under ordinary circumstances normal precautions taken by both pax and the cruise line will hopefully suffice.

I am just off the Mercury today and I was very impressed with both how Celebrity is handling the problem with noro virus and how they treated us. We did come back a day early, but we were refunded a days fare and we were offered 25% off what we paid for this cruise as a disount on a future cruise. They also put me up in a very nice hotel and I drove to the port!

The crew have been working 18 hour days with no days off, and yet they still do everything they can to make the passengers happy. I never passed a crew member without them stopping and saying hello and asking how I was doing. Nothing was too much trouble in the dining room and our waiter was constantly asking if we needed anything extra or anything else. In their position wouldn't have been so helpful and gracious, I really don't know how they do it. Towards the end we could tell they were tired, but every crew member came across still had a big smile on their face and a hello, how are you as we walked by. I'm hoping they get some time off to rest during these next few days. They definitey deserve it.

Terri

Couldn't agree more with the above post. We also sailed March 8 with a group and although one was quaranteened for a day, she was treated well. The entire staff onboard are heroes in our eyes, making the cruise as enjoyable and safe as possible. The food and entertainment were tops and all of us truly enjoyed the cruise. We felt that everyone went above and beyond the call of duty and Celebrity has provided compensation to cover our lost day, including a discount on our next cruise.

I think this everytime I see the crew at work, but imagine....in addition to all the hard work...and odds are the make less than most of us....they are doing it under those conditions and if they get Noro, they are confined to crew quarters. Of course they'll deal with some (understandably) grouchy pax.

There but by the grace of God go I.

I've been reading all the noro threads and I'm really impressed with how X is doing, but one thing bothers me. Do they still have those big furry, fuzzy, germy animal suits everyone is supposed to hug as they are getting off at every port? They really freak me out as a possible transmitter.

I've been reading all the noro threads and I'm really impressed with how X is doing, but one thing bothers me. Do they still have those big furry, fuzzy, germy animal suits everyone is supposed to hug as they are getting off at every port? They really freak me out as a possible transmitter.

Good point! Anything that is constantly being "touched" is a possible carrier, that is why it is virtually impossible to totally get rid of the virus and why personal responsibility if very important. I remember a guy on my last cruise (we were in code red a few days from previous cruise) not washing his hands when leaving the restroom and someone saw him and called him on it in the hallway outside the theater. He had a few choice words but he did go back in the restroom and I hope he washed...some people don't think!

You could stand beside the fuzzy shark at one stop, but there was no touching by anyone. There were numerous announcements that we couldn't hug or even shake hands with any of the crew. They explained it was due to the virus and I never heard anyone compain. The Captain suggested we could do the "chicken dance" in greeting at the Captain's Club party!:)

Terri

The force is with you Jedi!

I have had noro on a cruise. Didn't expect any comp and was surprised when X offered me a future cruise credit based on days confined.

I really really appreciate the job the crew does when there is noro on board. Not only do they have all the mess to contend with, but chances are some of the crew is ill too so they have to cover for those folks. I suspect that some pax stiff the crew on tips if they are confined, so the crew ends up doing more work for less pay.

I too make an extra effort to thank them and tip more than usual.

Hope to sail with you again.

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

You could stand beside the fuzzy shark at one stop, but there was no touching by anyone. There were numerous announcements that we couldn't hug or even shake hands with any of the crew. They explained it was due to the virus and I never heard anyone compain. The Captain suggested we could do the "chicken dance" in greeting at the Captain's Club party!:)

Terri

Now that is creative thinking. I will bet it lightened the moment!

Hi WVU...

Thanks for chiming in!

Yes, hope to sail with you too, maybe we'll get a chance to visit more on the next cruise.

I'm 50-50 on the Jan 3rd out of Baltimore, same itinerary but I just can't confirm stuff so far ahead. So many variables.

Archived