New baby/toddler programs on RCCL

malsha

Just read on a different website (link from this website but don't know the actual site address) said that starting March 2005 that RCCL is going to have a playgroup for babies 6mth-3 years that are NOT potty trained. One parent must be present for these story telling, play, craft events that Fisher Price is hosting. Also it said that they are starting an Aqua Babies (6mths-17 mths) and Aqua Tots (18mths-3years) classes. Obviously they aren't potty trained. Anyone heard about these programs? I am so excited if this is true! Something for my 23 mth old to do on the cruise!!! We go in May on Grandeur of the Sea.

Anyone else heard this new news? Not on royalcaribbean.com I did email but have not gotten a response yet.

the cruise industry needs more options for children under 3. Our 2 year old is potty trained and would do great in an hour story time or something...but, it still doesn't free up the parents for a quick drink. However, it would be fun to keep the little ones happy and have something for them to look forward to. Where did you hear about this? That would've made a difference in my cruise choice this April for certain!!!

http://www4.ourvacationstore.com/cruises/cruisedefault_nolist.jsp?webpagerecno=719&cobrand=800864&langrecno=1&destination=7&cruiseline=4&date=5X2005#results

Here is the link to the info I got. It is under the ship review for Grandeur of the Seas.....under things to do and then under for kids. I really hope this is true!!

Here is the direct quote:

A new program for infants and toddlers 6 months to 3 years, in

partnership with toy maker Fisher-Price, will be rolled out fleetwide by

the end of March 2005. The program offers 45-minute playgroups for

children accompanied by an adult, involving storytelling, creative arts,

music and a variety of Fisher-Price learning toys and games. Aqua Babies

are six months to 18 months old while Aqua Tots are 18 months to three

years old.

If this doesn't reinforce the idea that cruiselines are going after the family market like gangbusters, I don't know what does......cruising with kids is definitely the trend, those anti-breeders better get used to it, because it's going to be harder and harder to avoid the kiddies, at least on the mass-market lines.

Oh, and HAL has dropped it's kids programs ages from 5 down to 3, and offers all kinds of amenities for infants...I guess even they want to cater to families!

our thoughts are identical....i just crack up when cruisers complain about kids on cruises.....tell that to the cruise corporations spending millions of dollars to outfit their ships for kids! Drives me crazy....I'll tell you the WORST anti-breeders (I love that name, did you start that one?) are on HAL. I tell you, over on their board they BLAST kid posts.....I feel like a lone youngster fighting an uphill battle over there with the gray hairs...... had I know about rccl earlier, I would've booked them versus HAL this spring. Rats.

You can be the HAL guinea pig - I think it's a high quality line, and I've always wanted to sail them, but their age minimum kept me away (we only cruise with kids). Let us know how your cruise is, I've been waiting for them to get on the kids bandwagon, and it looks like they have......good luck, don't let the AB (anti-breeders) get you down!:D

Cracks me up when they say that kids shouldn't cruise. Should children also stay out of hotels, hotel swimming pools and activities. It is absolutely ridiculous! Like the old saying goes, kids should be seen and not heard, did they change it to, kids should not be seen nor heard!! I'm sure they were kids once or weren't they!!?? Well they also say as you age, you tend to get crotchety(I don't know, is that a word?) Maybe they should invent a cruise line strictly for no children!!:D

our thoughts are identical....i just crack up when cruisers complain about kids on cruises.....tell that to the cruise corporations spending millions of dollars to outfit their ships for kids! Drives me crazy....I'll tell you the WORST anti-breeders (I love that name, did you start that one?) are on HAL. I tell you, over on their board they BLAST kid posts.....I feel like a lone youngster fighting an uphill battle over there with the gray hairs...... had I know about rccl earlier, I would've booked them versus HAL this spring. Rats.

Amy - would it still be possible for you to cancel your cruise with HAL and switch over to RCCL. If you haven't paid your final deposit, you still may be able to cancel. I would check it out.

We are booking a fall cruise VERY soon. Has there been any confirmation on this rumor? We love RCCL, but were going to go on NCL for the itinerary this time. This would DEFINATELY put us back on RCCL as our two couples will travel with two under two!

Talking about how HAL has been anti-kids, I just read an article in our newletter from HAL that they are spending millions to upgrade their kids programs. Their programs used to be only for kids 5 and up, now they will include 3 and 4 year olds. Also, the are outfitting their ships with improved and expanded childrens' play areas. I guess the whole industry is going after families. Now if they only made it easier to get a cabin that could sleep 4 people (or more.)

You know, I would've cancelled my HAL cruise, BUT - my little brother (he's 26 - little, ha!) had already bought airfare for him and his girlfriend to go (I'm treating my mom on her first cruise as a retirement present-family ordeal) and had he not done that, I would've switched. One of the reasons I am going with HAL is because they do have in cabin daycare (plus I have my 10 year old now to help!) and I'll have my mom to help out....any other time we choose the lines with 3 and under care......

Maybe they should invent a cruise line strictly for no children!!:D

Actually, Renaissance Cruise Line was for adults only, but they went bankrupt back in 2001 (I think). Some industry folks have postulated it was because their market was too limited. I don't think other cruiselines want to go the way of the dinosaur, so I would be surprised to see a cruiseline go adult only. I read that Celebrity does offer some "adult-only" cruises, but I'm not sure how often they do that. I think the cruiselines have realized that we (families) are the ones with the money to take these types of vacations and are tailoring their product to fit our needs. Face it, folks, families cruising is here to stay.

Face it, folks, families cruising is here to stay.

Now that's the truth...if you want some interesting reading on family cruising, take a look at cruisemates.com and click on the link to family cruising. They have loads of information on all the new family programs (that's where I read about HAL), and they even detail the kids clubs with hours, babysitting, etc.

Love, I think you'll still have fun on HAL, it's a high quality line, and even they are catering to kids now. Let's face it, family cruising is the wave of the future, and if these mass market lines want to compete, they have to cater to kids.

Celebrity has a few adults only sailings, and if I were cruising without my kids (which I doubt will happen), that's where I'd go. Either that or go on Windstar or Seaborn. Even Radisson has a kids program for their summer sailings, I picked up a brochure the other day.

Let's face it, complaining about kids on cruises makes as much sense as complaining about them at Disneyworld. It's a great family vacation, in fact, my kids prefer it over Disney.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, Renaissance Cruise Line was for adults only, but they went bankrupt back in 2001 (I think). Some industry folks have postulated it was because their market was too limited. I don't think other cruiselines want to go the way of the dinosaur, so I would be surprised to see a cruiseline go adult only. I read that Celebrity does offer some "adult-only" cruises, but I'm not sure how often they do that. I think the cruiselines have realized that we (families) are the ones with the money to take these types of vacations and are tailoring their product to fit our needs. Face it, folks, families cruising is here to stay.

Renaissance was also non-smoking, and rather stupidly, required that people book directly with them (no travel agents). Just a bad business model all around.

Just read on a different website (link from this website but don't know the actual site address) said that starting March 2005 that RCCL is going to have a playgroup for babies 6mth-3 years that are NOT potty trained. One parent must be present for these story telling, play, craft events that Fisher Price is hosting. Also it said that they are starting an Aqua Babies (6mths-17 mths) and Aqua Tots (18mths-3years) classes. Obviously they aren't potty trained. Anyone heard about these programs? I am so excited if this is true! Something for my 23 mth old to do on the cruise!!! We go in May on Grandeur of the Sea.

Anyone else heard this new news? Not on royalcaribbean.com I did email but have not gotten a response yet.

http://www.cruisedirectonline.com/familycruises/thebestshipsfortots.htm

I was wondering what I to do with my 18 month old. I would love to hear from someone that has experienced this.

Just took a 20-month-old on a cruise and had a blast. My suggestions:

1)Have low expectations. This is soooooo important. You probably won't get to participate in organized activities, but just don't expect to. Sometimes my little guy would fall asleep and I would get to take him to the evening shows sleeping in my arms, but other nights, it didn't work out at all. So, go with the flow.

2)Get outside! All toddlers that I have even known love to be outside, so plan on spending you days by the pool. Plan on spending port days at the beach. I can't tell you how much fun Tommy had around the water. Around the pool did get tiring, though, as I would have to follow him as he expored the deck and met ALL of the passangers (who, by the way, all loved him!), around and around the pool area. And, of course, don't forget to be religious about sunscreen for both of you.

3)Plan on leaving dinner as necessary. Fortunately, I was with a group, so we could take turns taking Tommy out of the dining room if he got fussy, which was about 20 minutes into dinner every night except the night he fell asleep during dinner:D

4)Take advantage of the food on the ship. I didn't drag along ANY toddler food. Why bother feeding jarred veggies when you can get FRESH steamed veggies everynight and give those to your baby. I was also always able to get things like grilled chicken and other goodies to feed my little guy. Also, he loved the french fries (that was on Princess). Also, in the morning, there was plenty of yogurt, fruit, cereal (oh yeah, take some cereal back to the room for snacktime), eggs and other healthy food for our little ones.

5)Keep a regular naptime, if possible. Actually, my husband is a napper, too (not me, though), so I would put them both down for a nap from 2-4 and get my little bit of precious ME time ;) That was the only time I got to do any organized activities at all.

6)Bring an umbrella stroller for morning walks around the deck. Again, more outside time that my toddler LOVED! And you get to burn off the fab food.

HAVE FUN!!!

Shellie

Just took a 20-month-old on a cruise and had a blast. My suggestions:

1)Have low expectations. This is soooooo important. You probably won't get to participate in organized activities, but just don't expect to. Sometimes my little guy would fall asleep and I would get to take him to the evening shows sleeping in my arms, but other nights, it didn't work out at all. So, go with the flow.

2)Get outside! All toddlers that I have even known love to be outside, so plan on spending you days by the pool. Plan on spending port days at the beach. I can't tell you how much fun Tommy had around the water. Around the pool did get tiring, though, as I would have to follow him as he expored the deck and met ALL of the passangers (who, by the way, all loved him!), around and around the pool area. And, of course, don't forget to be religious about sunscreen for both of you.

3)Plan on leaving dinner as necessary. Fortunately, I was with a group, so we could take turns taking Tommy out of the dining room if he got fussy, which was about 20 minutes into dinner every night except the night he fell asleep during dinner:D

4)Take advantage of the food on the ship. I didn't drag along ANY toddler food. Why bother feeding jarred veggies when you can get FRESH steamed veggies everynight and give those to your baby. I was also always able to get things like grilled chicken and other goodies to feed my little guy. Also, he loved the french fries (that was on Princess). Also, in the morning, there was plenty of yogurt, fruit, cereal (oh yeah, take some cereal back to the room for snacktime), eggs and other healthy food for our little ones.

5)Keep a regular naptime, if possible. Actually, my husband is a napper, too (not me, though), so I would put them both down for a nap from 2-4 and get my little bit of precious ME time ;) That was the only time I got to do any organized activities at all.

6)Bring an umbrella stroller for morning walks around the deck. Again, more outside time that my toddler LOVED! And you get to burn off the fab food.

HAVE FUN!!!

Shellie

I think that's great that you had such a wonderful cruise. I'll have a 22 month old on Celebrity (which doesn't allow under 3's in their play area). I love your suggestion of being outside all the time, my only problem is that we are headed to Alaska...COLD!:o I guess it will be bundle up walks to burn all that food off! :p

My husband & I are cruising on the Voyager in a couple of weeks w/ our 1 year old and I had heard about the same thing, so I called Royal Caribbean to find out more and when it would be implemented. The program is a partnership w/ Fisher Price and it is basically 6 different classes- 45 mins long-which target different activities/skills for your child- music, etc. (using Fisher-Price products, of course). The classes are broken up into Aqua Babies, for 6 mos-18 mos & Aqua Tots, up to 3 years old.There will also be a Fisher-Price channel on all the TVs w/ constant programming. It was already launched in October on Explorer and will be on Voyager starting 2/26 (we are going on 3/5, so just made it). I believe it will be fleet-wide by the end of March, but if you are going on a cruise soon, you might want to call to find out exactly when it will be starting on that particular ship. The classes are short & I do not know how many there will be per day, but at least it is something to do with our daughter- besides chasing her around one of the lounges. My husband never gets to do stuff like this w/ her, so that will be nice.

Here is the response I got via email from RCI:

Aqua Babies and Aqua Tots program began on Explorer of the Seas in October, 2004 and will be available on all Royal Caribbean ships by the end of March 2005.

The sessions are free of charge and are hosted by Royal Caribbean’s specially trained youth staff. Each child must be accompanied by a parent or caregiver.

For Parents:

Parents who participate in either program will receive a special newsletter and daily Cruise

Compass onboard that explain the theme and objectives of each session and include

"Playtips to Go" for strengthening their child's skills through back at home.

The partnership will extend the Aqua Babies and Aqua Tots programs into guest staterooms

with "Fisher-Price TV," age-appropriate programming for Royal Caribbean's in-room televisions

fleetwide.

Aqua Babies and Aqua Tots:

>From 6–36 months of age, our tiniest guests and their parents are invited to participate in the Fisher-Price

Aqua Babies and Aqua Tots Programs. Developed by Fisher-Price exclusively for

Royal Caribbean International, these activities are hosted by trained youth staff. A parent

or caregiver MUST accompany children during activity sessions.

Aqua Babies Ages 6–18 Months

Parents and babies enjoy special themes each day involving music, toys and learning activities.

To make your time onboard even more enjoyable, join your 6 to 18-month-old in the fun of Aqua Babies,

interactive classes developed by early childhood experts at Fisher-Price. Each 45-minute session is hosted

by a trained youth staff and designed to reinforce early learning and promote social and physical development.

And your child will also have plenty of fun as they discover new toys, games and surprises. A parent or caregiver

MUST accompany children during activity sessions.

Some of the activities your Aqua Baby might enjoy:

Musical Inspiration

Treat your baby to the inspiration and joy of music, as we introduce musical instruments and explore rhythm,

movement and creativity.

Mission Accomplished

Enjoy interesting, age-appropriate toys together and enhance your child’s willingness to try new things.

This playgroup offers activities to help you encourage baby’s sense of accomplishment.

Everyday Early Learning

Today’s activities will reinforce early learning, exposing your baby to concepts such as the alphabet,

numbers, shapes, colors and more.

Get Up & Go

The toys and activities in this session will help promote social, emotional and, most importantly, physical development

through crawling, music, imaginative play, and more.

Discovering My World

Babies’ natural curiosity about the world around them leads to new discoveries and surprises each day. This playgroup

session is full of ways to examine, discover, build and wonder.

Making it Happen

Your child’s growing comprehension of cause and effect contributes to increased self-confidence. Join us in activities

that help babies learn how they affect the world around them.

Aqua Tots Ages 18–36 Months

Delightful themes for parents and toddlers to share reinforce early learning and natural curiosity.

To make your time onboard even more enjoyable, join in the fun of Aqua Tots, interactive classes developed by early

childhood experts at Fisher-Price. Each 45-minute session is hosted by a trained youth staff and designed to reinforce

early learning, promote social & physical development, creativity and imagination. And your child will also have plenty

of fun as they discover new toys, games and surprises. A parent or caregiver MUST accompany children during activity sessions.

Some of the activities your Aqua Tot might enjoy:

Fun On The Farm

Join Little People® friends to explore connections between farm animals, the sounds they make and the ways they move.

On Vacation

Here you are, on a family vacation–what better time to share ideas with your child about the places you’ll see, the things

you’ll do, the way you’re traveling, and more.

Out & About In The Neighborhood

Discover people and places in your neighborhood. Learn about familiar places, community helpers and transportation while

role-playing with Little People® friends.

Little Architects

Little ones build big imaginations as they create cities, farms, jungles, and more, with special building blocks and toys.

Learning Fundamentals

Kids love to sing, dance, and learn new things! We’ll get them moving and singing as they learn A-B-C’s, 1-2-3’s, phonics,

shapes, colors, and more, with the help of learning toys, music, games and lots of other fun activities.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

***I AM VERY EXCITED NOW!****:)

Archived