How big is too BIG?

I love NCL but is the Epic just too big? I have been on the Gem, Jewel, Dawn and the old Norway but I do not know if I want to go on a MEGA ship. 2,400 passengers is alot but I do not think I could deal with 4,200 people. If you think the pool is crowded now, how about trying to find a chair to lay out on with 1,800 more people. I do not think so. I know cruising is big business but these ships will never be able to pull into small ports and now how many tenders will be running almost all day and I love the islands but not all the tourists. Am I the only one to think too Big is a bad thing?

I tend to agree with you - I do think the Epic is too big. However, I confess that I'm intrigued by her and will probably book a cruise on her regardless. It will be an instance where I'm sailing mainly to experience the ship vs. the itinerary and ports.

I love NCL but is the Epic just too big? I have been on the Gem, Jewel, Dawn and the old Norway but I do not know if I want to go on a MEGA ship. 2,400 passengers is alot but I do not think I could deal with 4,200 people. If you think the pool is crowded now, how about trying to find a chair to lay out on with 1,800 more people. I do not think so. I know cruising is big business but these ships will never be able to pull into small ports and now how many tenders will be running almost all day and I love the islands but not all the tourists. Am I the only one to think too Big is a bad thing?

That logic would only apply if you try to put 1,800 on the Gem.

The Epic has more deck space , more pools space , more deck chairs.

There is no reason to think a bigger ship can't keep the same passenger to deck chair ratio.

I have no interest in the EPIC at this point, It's too big for me and not the cruise experience I'm looking for.

If it cruised out of NY in the Winter months I would probably try it, just for the ship experience (and something different out of NY)...but would never try getting off in port for the day :rolleyes:

That logic would only apply if you try to put 1,800 on the Gem.

The Epic has more deck space , more pools space , more deck chairs.

There is no reason to think a bigger ship can't keep the same passenger to deck chair ratio.

This is true but you still have to get everyone on and off the ship. We did a short (2-day) cruise on the Carnival Splendor, the largest ship we've been on. It was the worst embarkation/debarkation ever. It took 2 hours to get onto the ship. Then there was the fact that our cabin was at the very front of the ship and the dining room was at the very back. Forget running back to the cabin if you forgot something. :)

I really thought Splendor was too big - I can't imagine what Epic or Oasis of the Seas would be like. I wish the cruise lines would build some new "small" ships.

Not being an expert on the economics of the cruise industry, I can only throw out some thoughts.

1. There may already be enough "small" ships to fill demand. The problem is that these ships must charge higher fares than the larger ships.

2. The amenities of the mega-ships cannot be replicated on the smaller ones...at least not at prices most of us are willing to pay.

I would certainly prefer a small ship with a dozen dining options, spectacular entertainment, athletic activities, etc. The problem is that I don't want to pay more than $100/nt.

When push come to shove, the moths in my wallet prevail!

Not being an expert on the economics of the cruise industry, I can only throw out some thoughts.

1. There may already be enough "small" ships to fill demand. The problem is that these ships must charge higher fares than the larger ships.

2. The amenities of the mega-ships cannot be replicated on the smaller ones...at least not at prices most of us are willing to pay.

I would certainly prefer a small ship with a dozen dining options, spectacular entertainment, athletic activities, etc. The problem is that I don't want to pay more than $100/nt.

When push come to shove, the moths in my wallet prevail!

I've always found the fairs on the mega ships to be higher than their smaller counter parts. I assumed it was based on demand and because of the added amenities.

While I'd love to try a mega ship because of the hype, I can't justify the expense nor do I want to be on a ship with that many people. Why I don't believe crowds onboard would be a problem, I'd think boarding the ship in ports would be a hellish experience.

There are enough small ships now but they are getting older and being replaced with monsters.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't need a dozen restaurants or an ice skating rink or a shopping mall to have a great cruise. More room at the pool would be nice though. And bigger cabins. :)

Going on Sky in two weeks (woo hoo!) and I think 5 restaurants and a few great bars will be plenty for me.

While I'd love to try a mega ship because of the hype, I can't justify the expense

You mentioned some other concerns but if price is the main issue, you reallly should check out some of the pricings on the Epic. They are mostly in line with the rest of NCL's ships. Truly..pricing isn't bad at all.

CG

We are booked for January and as far as I know the Epic will dock at all Caribbean ports that its's scheduled for to date.

I don't know if the Epic or Oasis are too big, but they seem to be impractical for certain duties that I've come to expect from cruise vacations. Like the ability to visit lesser known, smaller or exotic ports, and the ability to tender to ports that may be too shallow or surrounded by reefs.

Being a guy, I like mechanical things like planes, trains, automobiles and yes...ships. I think the Mega ships have a lot of good things going for them and are "cool" to look at, but I would only want to experience them once. I think the "wow" factor would wear off on me and I would return to smaller ships.

I like the fact that most smaller ships provide closer access to the sea with a promenade deck that isn't blocked by hanging lifeboats such as on Oasis and Epic. Also, Epic provides very little forward views if any for non-suite passengers on its top decks. That's a great spot for taking sailaway pictures and something that I have a problem giving up.

You ask "How big is too big?"

Anything larger than this would be silly IMO.

Even so, I'm hoping one day to try both Epic and Oasis when my finances improve. Not enough disposable income at present, so I'll look at photos and read reviews for now.:o

i know that definitely the RC OASIS is way to BIGGGGGG:eek:

the EPIC i do think is probably to BIGGGG for my "comfort" too!!!

the smallest i have been on was the X MERCURY...was a NICE smaller ship

the largest was the CCL VICTORY and that was BIGGG but not to BIGGG

(Passenger wise that is)...i dont want to be on a ship with much more people than that!!

so for right now the EPIC isnt in my CRUISING FUTURE~~

I tend to agree with you - I do think the Epic is too big. However, I confess that I'm intrigued by her and will probably book a cruise on her regardless. It will be an instance where I'm sailing mainly to experience the ship vs. the itinerary and ports.

I feel exactly the same way.... We are looking at a possible repositioning cruise on her for just that reason...

Robin

I am very interested in the Epic but, the size scares me. I love my smaller ships. I love meeting people but not being pushed in buffet lines. Embarkment is sure to be crazy. not for me now. I wish they spread their great entertainment options fleet wide.

When you can walk from Canaveral to Miami on the pool deck... I guess that would be too big...

I'm not sure about ships as big as EPIC, but I'm willing to try them once...

The ports it can dock at are not all that attractive to me, and therefore the itineraries are somewhat lacking... but I'm sure I could enjoy myself given the opportunity :)

I saw Oasis up close... and it was kinda frightening... so I just might be more comfy in the Panamax class size. But I'm always willing to try once :)

I tend to like smaller ships - so - so far the Epic doesn't tempt me but I also don't believe that I would say "never". The right itinerary at the right price can always win me over.

If I had my druthers though - a smaller ship on an interesting itinerary impresses me more than a big ship with tons of facilities that I will never use. Also I wonder what embarkation and disembarkation at ports will be like with such a big ship.

My choice of cabin has always been oceanview, the planners of EPIC decided this ship would have balconies or inside(studio) cabins only. I went to a presentation about EPIC and the speaker was so excited about how groundbreaking it was to have no oceanview cabins. The person I travel with has claustrophobia so inside cabins will never see us, the balcony price is more than I will spend, oceanview was affordable but not cutting edge. St Martin has built a pier just for megaships, it is between the harbor and the original pier, blocks that wonderful view. I wish NCL good luck filling this ship every week.

Yes, it is too big for me and I won't ever be on it.

So what I'm hearing is that yes, size does matter. ;)

Yes it does.. you don't need a yacht to go fly fishing. :-)

Archived