Draw to early booking...

tulips*n*truffles

Hello again...haven't been around much since my first cruise last summer...and now I'm PUMPED to be planning planning planning for next summer!

I just ran across a thread about 2011 summer sailings opening on March 24/25. I'm wondering what the rush is for booking the day they're released? Is it cheaper? Cabin choice? What happens if the price drops after you've booked? How do you decide so fast?!

I booked in December 2008 for a June 2009 cruise and paid less than 50% of what the original cost was when I looked at them in September 2008...and got the balcony stateroom we wanted...so really I'm just wondering what I don't know! :-)

Thanks!

We always Cruise the March/April time frame so we book early to ensure we get the deck and cabin we want. We always do early Traditional dining so no worry about be waitlisted. I always monitor the price for a price reduction. We like the excitement of knowing we are booked and the anticipation and planning that goes along with it.

I'm wondering what the rush is for booking the day they're released?

Is it cheaper? rarely

Cabin choice? yes

What happens if the price drops after you've booked? If you book in the USA or Canada, contact your tarvel agent (or Princess if you booked directly) and your cost will be changed to the lower price. This is only true before final payment is due.

How do you decide so fast? Some people have decided before the itineraries are released.

See above

We often book well in advance of a cruise -- usually a year or two -- and almost always, not only do we get the cabin we want but we pay a much lower rate. That's not always true but most of the time.

Something else we do is each of us has two FCCs available to book a cruise so as soon as we see something we want, we use an FCC. It doesn't cost us anything extra to book so why not book it?

We often book well in advance of a cruise -- usually a year or two -- and almost always, not only do we get the cabin we want but we pay a much lower rate. That's not always true but most of the time.

Something else we do is each of us has two FCCs available to book a cruise so as soon as we see something we want, we use an FCC. It doesn't cost us anything extra to book so why not book it?

Is there a trick to booking *that* far out? I'm looking at Princess for summer 2011 and they're not out yet. Other lines release earlier?

Not everyone has the flexibility to book more than a year ahead. Pricing may or may not be lower booking that far ahead. Only advantage...if you have a particular cabin you MUST have, then go for it.

Of course, the cruise lines hope you will book far ahead and will try to convince you to do so. Depends on how attractive they make it for you to do so. At the least, you are committing your deposit money and the cruise line isn't paying you any interest for allowing them to have your money months/year in advance. Depends on your finances.

Often, the cabin prices will go through some ups and downs depending on how fast (or not) a specific sailing is selling.

If you are speaking about a unique sailing, then it would make more sense to book way ahead of time. But, if the sailing you are looking at will be done multiple times, by switching to a different date, you may end up paying less. Just my humble opinion.

MARAPRINCE

We don't cruise very often (I would like to though) but we have our cruises planned out years in advance. We know where we want to go in 2012 and in 2014, etc. We always have one or more FCCs on hand so, when the schedule for those cruises open up, we transfer the FCC to that booking and get the cabin that we want. It's nice to have something actually booked to look forward to and not just something that we have planned to book. The price eventually goes down by the time that we depart so that's money to set aside for the next cruise.

Of course, the cruise lines hope you will book far ahead and will try to convince you to do so. Depends on how attractive they make it for you to do so. At the least, you are committing your deposit money and the cruise line isn't paying you any interest for allowing them to have your money months/year in advance. Depends on your finances.

This doesn't have to be a big issue. If you buy an FCC for $100, it's good for foyur years, and that IS your deposit for a future cruise. At today's miniscule miserale interest rates, what interest are you losing? Eight dollars over four years?

Shalom, Andy.

Hello again...haven't been around much since my first cruise last summer...and now I'm PUMPED to be planning planning planning for next summer!

I just ran across a thread about 2011 summer sailings opening on March 24/25. I'm wondering what the rush is for booking the day they're released? Is it cheaper? Cabin choice? What happens if the price drops after you've booked? How do you decide so fast?!

I booked in December 2008 for a June 2009 cruise and paid less than 50% of what the original cost was when I looked at them in September 2008...and got the balcony stateroom we wanted...so really I'm just wondering what I don't know! :-)

Thanks!

I'm anxiously awaiting the Europe 2011 openings and will be booking the day they become available. My reason is that I want a particular cabin and it's one that seems quite coveted (based on reading these boards). If the price drops (and I will monitor this, probably weekly if not daily) I'll call to get the better price. This also gives me something to look forward to. Sure I can research ports and plan plan plan even if the cruise isn't reserved, but it somehow makes it more "real" if I have it booked.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Europe 2011 openings and will be booking the day they become available. My reason is that I want a particular cabin and it's one that seems quite coveted (based on reading these boards). If the price drops (and I will monitor this, probably weekly if not daily) I'll call to get the better price.
With the right TA, you will always get a better price than booking through Princess. Even if the price drops, you'll still be ahead although depending on the promotion, a TA can also drop the price.

Archived