Temperature of Food?

gehrandt

We were on the Star recently and noticed that most of the time the food was not very hot, and in some cases cold (lobster and drawn butter, baked potato, etc.). Tasted good and well presented but I don't remember the problem a few years ago on the Sun. In most cases it wasn't worth complaining about and the one time I sent something back our waiter quickly brought me roast turkey that was piping hot (potatoes were warm).

I realize that they are serving a lot of people at once but I could see where at times this could be a health issue. And I know I'm a nut about having hot things hot and cold things cold. We didn't eat at the buffet so no idea how the food was there. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is it just me?

I am a chef BTW. I would be VERY concerned on food not hot on the buffet. That would indicate more than one of the most important elements for the growth of bacteria existed: temperature (improper) and time. However, if your food from the MDR was cooked to order and was hot, but sat for five minutes before it was served to you and got cooled off, it is more of a nuisence than a health hazard. And I am not saying it was okay. Just this week I was served chicken fried steak with cream gravy (okay, I'm in the south) and the gravy was cold. Yuk! Of course I complained and they replaced my order, but I was a little frustrated at that point. If this happened to you, time after time, I expect you were too.

Seems the servers are short-staffed, which might be for various reasons. The back of the house (chefs) and the front of the house (servers) have to support each other to deliver to the guest. Sorry this was not the case for you.

As long as the food delivered to my table is luke warm, I am satisfied. I understand and aware that we are not at a cook to order restaurant, that food on a cruise ship is massed produced.

On the other hand if the food delivered is cold, not even luke warm, I will ask the waiter/waitress to take it back to the kitchen. I have never had any problems doing so with NCL....

The key is to bring it up pronto, not stew and post a negative review at a website.

DMH15, thank you for your information. We find it factual, informative and truthful. ( Actually share the same experiences as you have )

This is refreshing considering reviewing other comments on these boards. Unfortunately, you will find the reviews in general advising us to lower our expectations and that is sad.

Perhaps, the product quality of cruising has diminished and its up to us cruise critics to call them to task when necessary.

This site is important to communicate the good and bad.

Again, thank you.

Perhaps, the product quality of cruising has diminished and its up to us cruise critics to call them to task when necessary.

This site is important to communicate the good and bad.

Again, thank you.

I do agree with you; however, I believe freestyle is partially to blame. Looking at threads on other lines dealing with their brand of. when ever dining. reveals the same complaint of warm rather than hot food. It would seem to me that we as consumers want multiple choices, fast, when we want to eat, and want it to be fine dining, while the cruise line is trying to do it, and please us with the same or less staff than there was for standard dining, and in banquet size facilities. Unfortunately, I believe cruise prices may be to low to support the staff necessary to provide us what we want.

Al

OP... I have to say I have always been shocked when I have read about peoples food being cold or luke warm on NCL. Please notice I say shocked not I don't believe them. 8-)

The reason I am shocked is I am very much the type of person that if something should be served hot and I get it cold I just can't eat it, or at the very least don't want to eat it. I am a big guy but in some ways very picky about food and in others not so much. This is one of those I am picky about..LOL. My experience on NCL has always been that no matter where we ate, MDR or Specialty restaruant, the food was so hot I had to wait for it to cool before I could eat it. I actually burned my mouth on the Dawn on a shrimp dish I had as a starter. I do not think people are making it up or anything when they say theirs was cold by any means, it just hasn't been our experience. Now I do have to tell you I am a HUGE fan of the Star. You will rarely find me saying anything negative about her, but I do hate the buffet on the Star so I can not really comment about that specifically.

I do think you will read more on CC when someone's food was cold or luke warm as opposed to someone coming on here and posting that "my food was the perfect temp", etc. So that maybe why folks could think it is a wide spread problem.

No matter what the case, I'm sorry you did have that experience on the Star and I do know others have experienced that fleetwide.

I am a chef BTW. I would be VERY concerned on food not hot on the buffet. That would indicate more than one of the most important elements for the growth of bacteria existed: temperature (improper) and time. However, if your food from the MDR was cooked to order and was hot, but sat for five minutes before it was served to you and got cooled off, it is more of a nuisence than a health hazard. And I am not saying it was okay. Just this week I was served chicken fried steak with cream gravy (okay, I'm in the south) and the gravy was cold. Yuk! Of course I complained and they replaced my order, but I was a little frustrated at that point. If this happened to you, time after time, I expect you were too.

Seems the servers are short-staffed, which might be for various reasons. The back of the house (chefs) and the front of the house (servers) have to support each other to deliver to the guest. Sorry this was not the case for you.

Hey Donna.. When you get a chance, send me an email to the address below, please.

Thanks.

Terry

I do agree with you; however, I believe freestyle is partially to blame. Looking at threads on other lines dealing with their brand of. when ever dining. reveals the same complaint of warm rather than hot food. It would seem to me that we as consumers want multiple choices, fast, when we want to eat, and want it to be fine dining, while the cruise line is trying to do it, and please us with the same or less staff than there was for standard dining, and in banquet size facilities. Unfortunately, I believe cruise prices may be to low to support the staff necessary to provide us what we want.

Al

Al I think you hit the nail on the head as far as what the cause of this might be. 8-)

I've been on 4 NCL ships to date and this has been the case for each one. Food isn't cold, but it isn't hot either. I'm sure it sits somewhere for a few minutes too long before it is brought to the table. I've never sent anything back, its just a little annoyance. We make note of the food temps on comment cards at least once a cruise. Still plenty of good to say about NCL. I'm a very loyal customer.

deb

Thanks for the information about the buffet food. I like to eat cold food such as shrimp and cheese or use the stations at the buffet more than the food sitting out, but it's still good to know.

Viv;

And then there are times when the table next to yours hogs the waiter. A table of six or eight will order six or eight totally different drinks which takes the waiter up to ten minutes to fulfill, leaving your hot entree sitting in the kitchen for five minutes.... You waiter hogs know who you are....

Waiters are quick to provide water, ice tea, sodas, milk and coffee. One bottle of wine and beer take a bit longer. Six different mixed drinks and wine take much much longer....

Nine times out to ten when my entree is delivered cold, I can point to the waiter hogs at the next table.....

Geeez Don, I hardly ever disagree with you but on this one, I think your way off. Nobody should have to refrain from ordering the drink they want, because it interferes with the waiter taking care of others. We are paying good money for good service, and if the waiter has to spend a few minutes to get it, so be it. What NCL needs is waiters to take the order, insure our needs are met, and runners to bring the food and drink. It works at the likes of Outback, Carrabba's, and a lot of other descent restaurants, including the NCL specialty venues, and the food comes to the table hot.

Al

Archived