What is "Guarantee Balcony"

p74644

We are booked on the Splendor for 5-2-10. We really had no idea what we were booking but we both knew a balcony was a must so not knowing what to buy we booked through expedia and ended up with a......

Cabin Information:

BL -

Cabin #: GUAR

This is what our expedia invoice says. What are we in for????

It means that while you have chosen your 'cabin category' you have not chosen your exact cabin or location. As mentioned you will be 'assigned' your balcony cabin somewhere close to your cruise date - hopefully in a decent location!

If you don't care about starboard or port, forward or stern, this can be a very good thing. You pay for the cheapest balcony cabin (At least I hope you did) and there is the possibility you could end up with a suite.

Some TA's but not all will tell customers to take a balcony guarantee as it will get you a upgrade for the cheapest price. Some may want to take the gamble thinking that they will get upgraded to a suite or better. We were suckered into that.

Other times there are none available at the time because of deposits and etc. the cruise line knows that there will be some available so they offer guarantee and that is what it is. You will get a balcony cabin.

What you will probably end up with is the worse room because no one else wants it. This could be over the galley, under the basket ball court, over a lounge or a obstructed where the lifeboats are in front of your balcony and etc.

The room we got on Princess had 4 berth beds. These were beds that were attached to the wall and folded up into them like the old murphy bed. There was no way to put them together to make a queen. Not a good way to have when you want to sleep next to your spouse.

When we complained to our TA she said "You misunderstood me about taking that" That was our second cruise and our first with her. Needless to say we dumped her. Her loss. Since then we have been on at least 25 cruises and never took that option again.

As long as you would be happy with ANY cabin in that category, a guaranty can ba be a good way to go. At worst, you will get exactly what you booked (in your case, a balcony somewhere on the ship). It is possible you will get you will get a higher category.

We are booked on the Splendor for 5-2-10. We really had no idea what we were booking but we both knew a balcony was a must so not knowing what to buy we booked through expedia and ended up with a......

Cabin Information:

BL -

Cabin #: GUAR

Many before me have stated what you are in for, so I will only say this, I would strongly suggest that you use a reputable travel agent if you don't know what you are booking. Had you use such an agent, you would have been advised about the pros and cons of booking a Guarantee cabin. Some cruise lines discount Guarantee cabins, some don't. There is a possiblity you will be upgraded, but you cannot be downgraded from the category of cabin you paid for. We've booked a guarantee cabin before and while we did not get an upgrade, we were happy with the location of our cabin as we would have selected a cabin in that location anyway.

Some TA's but not all will tell customers to take a balcony guarantee as it will get you a upgrade for the cheapest price. Some may want to take the gamble thinking that they will get upgraded to a suite or better. We were suckered into that.

Other times there are none available at the time because of deposits and etc. the cruise line knows that there will be some available so they offer guarantee and that is what it is. You will get a balcony cabin.

What you will probably end up with is the worse room because no one else wants it. This could be over the galley, under the basket ball court, over a lounge or a obstructed where the lifeboats are in front of your balcony and etc.

The room we got on Princess had 4 berth beds. These were beds that were attached to the wall and folded up into them like the old murphy bed. There was no way to put them together to make a queen. Not a good way to have when you want to sleep next to your spouse.

When we complained to our TA she said "You misunderstood me about taking that" That was our second cruise and our first with her. Needless to say we dumped her. Her loss. Since then we have been on at least 25 cruises and never took that option again.

"Some TA's but not all will tell customers to take a balcony guarantee as it will get you a upgrade for the cheapest price."

Any TA who tells their client this is not being truthful. A Guarantee cabin will not get you an upgrade. That statement implies that you are guaranteed an upgrade when in truth and in fact, that is not so. What is more accurate is, it is possible that they will be upgraded from the category of cabin that they paid for, but they cannot be downgraded from that category cabin. We booked a Guarantee cabin once and we were not upgraded. We got exactly what we paid for, and in a location on the ship we would have chosen had we opted to choose our cabin, so it worked out for us.

It means that you will have a balcony room for sure but the location of the room is up to the company and on carnival the balconies start on the upper (6) deck.

Really?

I have a balcony on the Legend on the main deck (4)

Really?

I have a balcony on the Legend on the main deck (4)

boydak, cajunchick is referring to the Conquest and Destiny Class Carnival ships. The Legend is a Spirit Class ship with a different deckplan and ship layout. She should have been more ship class specific.

If you're anything like us an anxiety attack :o We still have over 2 months until our cruise, booked guar and 've been checking daily only to find TBA.

BUT..

I know that everything is OK. Everything is paid in full ( including OBC, excursions, tips etc) so I nothing else we'll find out when we get there.

Don't worry about it. But here's some advice: on the off chance that you end up with a cabin in a noisy location (which is just about the only downside I can think of), bring earplugs. Simple. Upside is that you'll wind up several floors higher than what you paid for.

Good luck & have a great cruise.

Mary Ellen

We booked a ga balcony on the Pride, we recieved our room number. It said lower deck, CLOSET. Just kidding, we actually got an extended balcony, midship, 8th deck. Hope it is a good room, this is our first cruise!!

Archived