Movies about Alaska

bradswife

I haven't watched these yet, so I don't know if they're good. However, these are the movies I've picked up at Goodwill and put aside to show on family movie night on the weekends leading up to our trip:

Alaska (Columbia Tristar)

Jack London's White Fang (Disney)

Alaska's Gold Rush

Thanks for asking the question. I'll be very interested to read responses from others.

To my knowledge any movie made about Alaska has never been made in Alaska and Northern Exposure was made in Washington State.

I know one part of one of the Star Trek movies was made up at Matanuska Glacier but then the movie wasn't about Alaska.

Susan in Anchorage

Never Cry Wolf is an all time favorite of mine. Gives you a feeling for the far northern areas, caribou/wolf inter dependence, migrations, native legends, survival, etc. Not sure where it was actually filmed, my copy is making the rounds at my school.

To my knowledge any movie made about Alaska has never been made in Alaska

au contraire mon fraire

ice palace

the actor's stayed in psg during the filming.

includes a spectacular crash of a dh beaver landing on (in, through, whatever) water. not originally planned but they were able to work it into the script.

there was a man in town that the "ancient ones" told me was richard burton's love child.

trully a ghastly movie, i've seen better film on teeth.

The best movie I ever saw about Alaska was released in 1979 and dropped out of sight (except in France for some reason) - Spirit of the Wind, a biography of George Attla, the great musher. Slim Pickens, Chief Dan George, (wonderful) music by Buffy St Marie - really a great flick. Not that helps the OP I suppose. :(

Wasn't a movie filmed (at least partially) a few years ago in and around Haines???

white fang

the building facades from the movis are now located at the southeast alaska fair grounds in haines. they've been converted into shops/stores and a brewery. worth a visit. at least the brewery is.

It's not really a movie, but I'm watching "Into Alaska" with Jeff Corwin, a $20 purchase from the Discovery Store. It's a collection of shows aired on the Travel Channel.

I find Jeff Corwin tough to take in large doses, so I'm watching one or two segments at a time and enjoying the scenic splendor that is Alaska.

"Higher Ground" - a John Denver movie that was about Alaska - and actually filmed there. Absolutely gorgeous scenery. (JD was a huge fan of Alaska.)

btw - if you're looking for an Alaska playlist for your iPod, John Denver also has several songs about Alaska (Alaska & Me, A Little Further North, To The Wild Country, The Wrangell Mountain Song, American Child, Eagles & Horses...)

This isn't a movie, but if your itinerary includes Glacier Bay you might want to read John Muir's Travels in Alaska. He was the first explorer of Glacier Bay and much of that area of Alaska. If your library doesn't have it you can find it at some of the online stores. I bought a used copy from Amazon.com

Edited by NMLady

"Alone in the Wilderness" ... book & movie by Richard Proenneke ... the film was shot by Dick on a 16mm camera ... shows him living alone along a lake (near Lake Clark I believe). Pretty amazing stuff ... and I believe that the NPS has protected his cabin now. Google both the movie and the book, I think the movie was a PBS production (for fundraising).

You can always do a search on YouTube for some Alaskan videos ... there are a few about hiking/camping in Denali and elsewhere.

"Alone in the Wilderness" ... book & movie by Richard Proenneke ... the film was shot by Dick on a 16mm camera ... shows him living alone along a lake (near Lake Clark I believe). Pretty amazing stuff ... and I believe that the NPS has protected his cabin now. Google both the movie and the book, I think the movie was a PBS production (for fundraising).

You can always do a search on YouTube for some Alaskan videos ... there are a few about hiking/camping in Denali and elsewhere.

You know I forgot about this film. I swear I get sucked in everytime that PBS has it on. I think I've watched it probably 4 times if not more. I have to say that man showed what hard work can get you.

Susan in Anchorage :)

My son DVR'd it and it sits there in the primo #1 spot, not to be erased. I love just listening to Proenneke's voice as he matter of factly explains what he is doing that day. From the natural and primitive skills viewpoint, he is king!! Go drink your latte Bear G.

Edited by NHsnowpup
typos