Edinburgh to St. Andrews - tour only

Hello,

In August, I will spend 2 days pre-cruise in Edinburgh - first to see Tattoo and second to visit St. Andrews. I have always wanted to see it. I know I do not have time to enter a lottery and try to play there. I am ok with that. Also, during our cruise we have a day in port in Edinburgh, but have a different tour planned for that day.

Does anyone have any tour guide suggestions? I am looking for a private tour to maximum time there.

Thank you in advance for your help/info.

Kathleen/Shootingstar07

Does anyone have any tour guide suggestions? I am looking for a private tour to maximum time there.
What do you actually want to see in St Andrews? It's a fairly compact town, very doable on foot. I'd suggest just renting a car in Edinburgh for a day and driving yourself there. You don't really need a tour guide.

The previous poster is right, it's a small compact town, easy to do on your own.

If renting a car is not to your liking...take the train up, it's easy. We stayed in Edinburgh for a few days and, like you, wanted to see St Andrews. We took the train up from Waverley Train station. Forget how much, but not much in cost.

The train stops away from the town but you can take a bus or a taxi (lots waiting) to downtown. I think the bus was 3 pounds for the two of us and on the way back we took the taxi, and that was about 9 pounds.

We picked up a little (free) map at the train station and walked to the course. It's a public course so you can walk around it, even across it, just watch out for balls.

We then did the British museum of Golf, right there at the course and then walked up to St Andrews castle (not much to look at). Then lunch then back to the train.

Great day out and easy.

The previous poster is right, it's a small compact town, easy to do on your own.

If renting a car is not to your liking...take the train up, it's easy. We stayed in Edinburgh for a few days and, like you, wanted to see St Andrews. We took the train up from Waverley Train station. Forget how much, but not much in cost.

The train stops away from the town but you can take a bus or a taxi (lots waiting) to downtown. I think the bus was 3 pounds for the two of us and on the way back we took the taxi, and that was about 9 pounds.

We picked up a little (free) map at the train station and walked to the course. It's a public course so you can walk around it, even across it, just watch out for balls.

We then did the British museum of Golf, right there at the course and then walked up to St Andrews castle (not much to look at). Then lunch then back to the train.

Great day out and easy.

thanks to all the posters. I appreciate your thoughts and advise.

I think a car rental will be much cheaper than the 450 euros quoted for an all day private tour of the area.

I just want to be able to say I was there (even tho not golfing). Also, I understand you can walk the bridge at 18. Will probably do the museum as well. Then we might look for a place to do lunch. In the evening we have our tickets to The Tattoo.

Kathleen

When you do go to St. Andrews and see the course (or at least the first Tee), you should also go to this quaint store that has old golf clubs and other goodies. It is just a block or so away.

There are spoons and mashies and jiggers, and you name it. Steel shafts, bamboo shafts and leather covered golf balls. Good spot for a bit of history. It is not a museum, and the prices are high.

I don't remember the name. Perhaps others here will know.

St Andrews is a fair drive from Edinburgh. (1 - 1.5hrs approx?), I personally would take the train if I didn't know the area. I can totally see the point made, I've got loads of places in my mind that i'd like to visit, just to say i've been there.. Venice & Las Vegas being the main two :D

When you do go to St. Andrews and see the course (or at least the first Tee), you should also go to this quaint store that has old golf clubs and other goodies. It is just a block or so away.

There are spoons and mashies and jiggers, and you name it. Steel shafts, bamboo shafts and leather covered golf balls. Good spot for a bit of history. It is not a museum, and the prices are high.

I don't remember the name. Perhaps others here will know.

I am unsure which golf store you mean. The best known is Auchterlonies which is on the corner of Golf Place, just about 50yards from the 18th green.

I agree about taking a train to St Andrews (Leuchars is the nearest station-plenty of taxis available)

St Andrews is a public course, so you can wander about quite freely (apart from the golf balls!). take a photo on the first tee, 18th green and, as already mentioned, the Swilken Bridge on the 18th hole. You can even wander down to the famous 17the 'Road Hole', regarded as one of the most difficult par 4's in golf.

Go into Russacks Hotel and sit and have a drink in their lounge and take in the atmosphere. Watch the golfers come up the 18th hole.

You could then wander up past the University buildings to the Castle and then into the ruins of St Andrews Cathedral (I believe it dates back to the 11th century).

For lunch I would recommend the Doll's House restaurant- excellent food and not too expensive.

St Andrews is one of my favourite towns. I live about 70 miles away and never tire of it!

Our daughter has been at St Andrews university for 5 years and it is a small but beautiful place

most of the Students know the area really well - contact the student union as someone will be happy to give you a tour - it is a small place but very pretty

Jan

I am unsure which golf store you mean. The best known is Auchterlonies which is on the corner of Golf Place, just about 50yards from the 18th green.

That is the one. I thought it was a few doors west of Golf Place. But I was wrong. Even for non golfers, it is worth a visit to this unique store.

Archived