Can I downgrade, and also.. am I crazy?

JENANDGENE

So for the past two months I have gotten my children (who will be 6,4 and 2) ALL pumped up about our Disney/ cruise on FOS in November.

Then the bomb drops.... I find out husband has been cheating on me. So now I don't know if we will be together in Nov. However the thought of telling the kids their trip is canceled breaks my heart.

Can I do it alone? I know the older two will love the kids club and the youngest and I can hang together.... but am I crazy?

Also if I do this we won't need a family stateroom anymore... can I have it changed?

So sorry to hear about your situation. I am sure that you could do this trip by yourself but it would probably be more fun for you if you had a sibling or a good friend come with you. Maybe even your Mom. Maybe you can talk someone into going with you and then keep the bigger room too. The kids will love the cruise. So easy for the little ones to see the characters. The kids club is great.

I too am really sorry to hear about your circumstances. In answering your quesiont, you can certainly downgrade your cabin, just contact the cruiseline (let them know the reservation #) and they can let you know what's available. I did like the previous poster's thought on taking a sibling or mom with you.

In addition to your kids being deflated if you didn't go....I imagine the cruise would be a great thing for you as well!!!

I hope everything works out...

I know Disney is pricey. Book an Inside on Carnival or RCL. Kids will love it!

I believe the OP stated she would be on FOS (Freedom of the Seas). I'm assuming they are also going to Disney while they are in Port Canaveral.

If you haven't paid in full, you shouldn't have any problem changing your cabin. If you booked with a travel agent, you will have to go through them. With the ages of your children, I agree with the others that it would be nice to have another adult with you. If that's not an option, you can still do it. It will just be a little more difficult embarking and debarking with 3 little ones and carry on luggage.

I was in a similar situation. Shortly before we were to bring our two girls (then ages 3 and 5) to Walt Disney World for the first time, my marriage ended. It was devestating, not just the loss of my marraige but my fears of losing that special time with my family. In the end I invited a cousin. She helped me with the girls and we had a fabulous time! If you are still able to afford it- go for it. I know from experience that it will be good for both you and the kids

Jenniffer has a great idea...leave the reservation as it stands and have someone else go with you, if you and your husband can't work this out.....

You'll have MUCH more of a nice time, if you have some other adult along....not just to help with the kids, but to just share the experience....someone to talk to at the pool, or on excursions...take a friend or relative.

Bless you and I am so sorry. If you can keep the vacation, your kids are first and these changes will be hard no matter what. If you can get a friend or family member to come along that would be great also. The kids will not care about the room at all.

I'm also very sorry. To answer your question, lots of us moms take cruises alone with our kids - some of us are single and some just have more vacation time than their husbands. It's a great way to travel alone with kids. I think it would be a nice way for you to spend some time with the kids and just focus on each other during such a difficult time. And a great way for them to see there can be laughter and fun even in the midst of hard times.

Best,

Mia

Just realize that you are not in a great place for decision making right now. If taking the trip without another adult will be too much stress for you, don't go. If the break from the reality of problems at home will be welcome and you can embrace the time with your children, by all means, go. Certainly, having another adult along would be a wonderful support for you and for the children. You probably have some time until final payment to make a firm decision. By all means, contact your TA or cruise line and discuss other cabin options that may save some $$. Unless the kids have cruised before, most of their excitement is for Disney. Maybe you should consider just keeping the land-based part of the trip and save a cruise for another time. In any case, best wishes for a happy life.

I don't think you would be mad at all. I wouldn't make any decisions at the moment as everything must still be so raw, but I do think it would be a fantastic thing for you and your children to have to look forward to.

We are taking our 14 month old on Freedom in a couple of weeks, there seem to be quite a few activities for the under 3s although you need to accompany them but I'm sure that would be fun to do whilst your other 2 are in the kids club.

Just realize that you are not in a great place for decision making right now. If taking the trip without another adult will be too much stress for you, don't go. If the break from the reality of problems at home will be welcome and you can embrace the time with your children, by all means, go. Certainly, having another adult along would be a wonderful support for you and for the children. You probably have some time until final payment to make a firm decision. By all means, contact your TA or cruise line and discuss other cabin options that may save some $$. Unless the kids have cruised before, most of their excitement is for Disney. Maybe you should consider just keeping the land-based part of the trip and save a cruise for another time. In any case, best wishes for a happy life.

Excellent advice, and a well-phrased post, onthelake. I, too, hope that things work out well for the OP.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Going on the cruise might be a good thing for you but it will be a great time for your kids.

Having a friend or another adult relative go with you sounds like a good thing to do - it will give you some time alone.

Do your kids like Nickelodeon - Dora the Explorer or SpongeBob? The Epic will have Nickelodeon activities and character meet and greets on it when it starts sailing in July. Maybe you can change to NCL. NCL is usually cheaper.

Good luck.

:eek::eek::eek:

First, to answer the easy one. YES, Royal will allow you to downgrade. Take the family suite and turn it into a D1 quad. You and the kids can still go. Check the prices and see what fits into your budget.

I have been on cruises without my hubby. It's actually LESS stressful for me to travel without him. ;) I just pick up and go with the kids. The kids and I have no problems being on our own. So I am sure you will be fine. The kids lives are going to be turning upside down, no need to take this away from them. :(

My heart goes out to you right now. Nothing boils my blood more than a married man cheating not only on his wife but on his children. :( I say you don't need another adult. But that's just me. Another adult would just stress me out more. I don't travel well with others. I have TRIED. But my kids and I travel well alone. We have our own routine.

So sorry!

Truthfully, I think if you were to take a vacation alone with your kids, cruising would be the BEST way to go. They have the kids clubs, all activities and meal times are planned out, you don't have to worry about piling everyone into a car to drive somewhere. I think you should DEFINITELY keep the vacation, however the Disney part alone with three kids would scare me to death... but I believe you can do it! :)

Please update us on what you decide to do and good luck to you!

• 1 month later...

I am so sorry to hear about you situation. I know that's hard to wrap your head around. Having said that, please please take your kids on the cruise. Two huge disappointments in one year would be too overwhelming on them. I know because my parents separated and I was in a horrible car accident in one year. It was double hard. Now, if you think you can tolerate seeing your husband for the week, I would try and make like a happy couple for the kids to have one last vacation with the both of you they will never forget. If you don't think you can be civil then don't bring him, bring someone else and keep the room!! I really hope you can bounce back from this and have a wonderful vacation with or without him!!

I want to echo everyone else - so sorry about your current situation with the husband. You are probably in shock right now, and like many have said, it's not a great time to be making big decisions.

You have some time to mull over this one, and figure out who you are going to take, if your dh and you don't get this worked out.

Please keep us posted on how it's going, OK?

First of all best of luck to you and your family however it works out. My 21 year marriage ended very suddenly in 2007 so I understand some of where you are right now. That first year, I worked hard to keep as many of our plans and the normal summer routine as I could safely afford - my DD who was 11 at the time would tell you she is thankful for all I did. My suggestion based upon my experience is to keep the Disney portion of the trip (and try to take another adult) but if things have not worked themselves out by final payment date cancel the cruise.

It is a lot of money to loose if you discover that you can not travel outside of the US at the last minute. You will most likely not have a final custody order by November. If you are going through a divorce and separation, most likely he will not sign the paperwork for you to leave the country - in fact, his lawyer will probably advise against it. Depending on where you live, you may not be allowed to leave the country w/o a court's permission if custody determination is pending. Even if you can leave, you may be advised not to do so just to avoid any false charges of parental kidnapping - I have been there with that one when I tried to schedule a cruise for the spring 2008 and my lawyer told me all the reasons not to (We took a great trip to Disney instead).

We started cruising again once custody was final (I have full Legal and Physical custody of my DD - my EX is not allowed contact). Cruising is a wonderful single parent vacation.

Archived