whale Watching in Alaska at end of June

Janteach

We are sailing on the Royal Princess in Alaska at the end of June and were wondering where the best place to see whales from. We will be on board for 14 days in may ports throughout Alaska. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:o

no matter what time of year in "summer"...may through sept you will see whales, especially in stephens passage just north of Auke Bay...best spot in Southeast Alaska except Icy Straits which is not accessed by all cruise lines.

I agree with the above poster....Auke bay in Juneau is incredible for whale watching. In my 8 trips to Juneau, we have seen the whales engage in bubble net feeding 6 out of 8 trips!

Those 6 times that you have seen bubble net feeding, which month did you go? We are going to be in Juneau 22nd of June. I wonder if there is any chance to see bubble feeding as I read here it happens only two weeks in a year.

Those 6 times that you have seen bubble net feeding, which month did you go? We are going to be in Juneau 22nd of June. I wonder if there is any chance to see bubble feeding as I read here it happens only two weeks in a year.

I think that article is wrong but let's see what the consensus here is. We've seen the behaviour on June 1 at Hoonah.

"usually" and doesn't even specify which two weeks??!!

We saw whales bubble feeding near Sitka last summer. It was the second week of July. We were on an excursion to see the otters, when someone radioed about whales. We raced, to within sight of our ship, and saw a group of humpbacks. I got some great pics, including a double flukes shot and a bubble feeding shot. I'll see if I can figure out how to post them!

no matter what time of year in "summer"...may through sept you will see whales, especially in stephens passage just north of Auke Bay...best spot in Southeast Alaska except Icy Straits which is not accessed by all cruise lines.

Stephens Passage is SOUTH of Auke Bay and Juneau. This is transisted by cruiseships, usually coming and going from Ketchikan. It can be loaded with humpback sightings. Especially good are the afternoon arrivals, and getting yourself out on a foward viewing deck EARLY, when you can have hours of humpback sightings. Necessary, is forward viewing, and a good pair of wide angle binoculars.

ON a general comment, bubble net feeding, is PURE chance. I have seen it more later than earlier in the season.

A few facts. Humpbacks are solitary animals, having NO long term relationships except for mothers and calves. When a "group" happens to get together, with a good feeding area ( a whole another story), an "invitation" only group forms. It is female led, no calves, no juvenals. You will many times see, "annoyed" misbehaving calves on the fringe- acting up. :)

If bubble net feeding is happening, it is almost always repeative, over hours/days.

I have been fortunate to have been out on multi day trips, from higher double deck boats where the viewing was extensive and the ability to see multiple bubble net feeding groups, going on at the same time, with the cast off- rejects not included. A very, very interesting behavior to see. But it is not common to see on a single 4 hour trip.

• 1 month later...
We are booked with Orca Enterprises. The other most popular on these boards is Harv and Marv.

Has anyone been on both Orca and Harv and Marv? Those are the two I am deciding between and I just wondered what the advantages/disadvantages were. Thanks!

Only been on Harv and Marvs, and will be going again w/them in early June. We loved it - very personalized service due to the size of their boats (3, I think - 6 passenger boats, and new this year, a 12 passenger boat). Check out their website at harvandmarvs.com. It was an amazing experience, we loved our captain, Jay ("Marv" in 2008), who was born and raised in Juneau, and presently lives on Shelter Island in Auke Bay w/a generator for power, and his boat to commute to "the office" each day. How cool would that be????:p The bow of the boat is open for your use, as is the stern, and lots of large windows w/seating area and bathroom inside. We had brought our own binoculars, but once we tried the ones Jay had on board - well, lets just say, he had to pry those things outa my hands when the tour was over! ;)THAT good! The enthusiasm and knowledge displayed by Jay was just great, we saw lots of whales, eagles, sealions, and even a couple of sea otters. It was a perfect excursion and we wished we had booked the 4 hour tour instead of just 3.

Note that I have also heard great things about Orca and Capt. Larry. They have larger boats though and that wasn't the experience we wanted. It all depends on what works for you and what you are looking for. Hope you have a great time, whichever you choose. Happy whale watching!

one of the largest summer feeding grounds in southeast is where the south end of stephen's pass meets frederick sound, southeast corner of admirality island. unfortunately most cruise ships will pass through this area in the dark as it is midway between ktn and jnu. i have an office in kake (<½ the rain of psg) that at night we can see a glowing city of lights as a cruise ship transits from chatham strait to stephen's pass via frederick sound.

too far to be practical for a charter from juneau but it is the goto spot for the tours out of psg.

I agree with the above poster....Auke bay in Juneau is incredible for whale watching. In my 8 trips to Juneau, we have seen the whales engage in bubble net feeding 6 out of 8 trips!

I'm new to the activity of whales...what is bubble feeding?;)

I'm new to the activity of whales...what is bubble feeding?;)

Do a search on humpback feeding behaviors. It will really enhance a trip, with some basic knowledge on these whales. :)

A cross over we are seeing with the Atlantic fins is surface lunge feeding, proposed to be an adaption from the humpbacks. I spent a whole trip last year viewing this- first time, I had gone out and did not see any humpbacks. :) (out of over 100 trips) The other feeding behavior that also seems to be a recent adaption (over a few years) with the same whales is kick feeding.

It's all about the FOOD, sand eels for the Atlantics.

we went orca watching out of Victoria many years ago. We took a pair of bushnell binoculars. It get fogged up fairly quickly out on the sea. The captain handed over a pair of high quality binoculars to us. That's day and night difference. He told us to take waterproof binoculars next time. With the shear size of the whale and close distance, I can understand why we need wide angle binoculars too.

Archived