2 days in Bermuda - suggest what I should do!

kj_connections

I will be in Bermuda in September on the Explorer of the Seas. It docks there from 9am (day 1) to 5pm (day 2).

I plan to do everything by public transportation (bus and ferry).

Are there anything that is a must-see or must-do? If you have any suggestions on how I should plan my 2 days there, please feel free to mention them!

on our trips to Bermuda, we usually take the ferry to Hamilton after docking, walk up and down Front St shopping, then walk up to the bus terminal and go to Horseshoe Bay for part of the afternoon... then back to Hamilton and take the ferry back to the boat in time for a shower and dinner. After dinner we go for a walk to the clock tower and look around/shop for a bit, then back to the ship... pretty much the same the 2nd day, with less shopping, just make sure you get back to the ship in enough time... we usually shoot for 1 & 1/2 hrs before undocking....

on our trips to Bermuda, we usually take the ferry to Hamilton after docking, walk up and down Front St shopping, then walk up to the bus terminal and go to Horseshoe Bay for part of the afternoon... then back to Hamilton and take the ferry back to the boat in time for a shower and dinner. After dinner we go for a walk to the clock tower and look around/shop for a bit, then back to the ship... pretty much the same the 2nd day, with less shopping, just make sure you get back to the ship in enough time... we usually shoot for 1 & 1/2 hrs before undocking....

Thanks maddawg. Wow, I see you've been to Bermuda on Explorer of the Seas several times - you must like it :) Off topic, but what do you like to do on the days at sea? Would you happen to have any of the schedules from RCCL (not sure what they're called; but basically the ones they deliver to your room each night for the next day's events)? You can email me at kj_connections [at] hotmail.com if you prefer. Thanks

we are going back to Bermuda in Aug 2010, did this before a few years ago, we enjoyed Hartleys helmet dive, ran us close to 300 bucks for four, but had a great time

This trip my crew will visit crystal caves, havent been there so we look forward to trying new

Thanks maddawg. Wow, I see you've been to Bermuda on Explorer of the Seas several times - you must like it :) Off topic, but what do you like to do on the days at sea? Would you happen to have any of the schedules from RCCL (not sure what they're called; but basically the ones they deliver to your room each night for the next day's events)? You can email me at kj_connections [at] hotmail.com if you prefer. Thanks

Personally I'm the "relaxer" on a cruise... I like to sit in the Library on deck 7 and "people watch" it overlooks the Promenade and it's peaceful. I also go up to Dizzy's overlooking the pools and do the same... my wife is the one that has to "Get out there" and do it all.... she'll go shopping, towel folding, napkin folding, any food demonstration that there is, do lunch in the MDR... is there something in particular that you want to know from the Cruise Compasses? there is A LOT to list for each day, but if you want to know something, let me know and I'll dig them out...

Thanks Maddawg for all the tips! Girlfriend and I going to Bermuda on Explorer for 2 days as well. Already excited! We're doing Snorkel Bermuda's Shipwreck Snorkelling Excursion. Otherwise, we're just going to wing it. Planning to do St. George's first thing for some culture and history and Hamilton for shopping. Horsehoe Bay ofcourse for the beach. What do you think of the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute? Is it worth a visit? How about the aquarium? The girlfriend wants to experience Bermuda nightlife as well. Any suggestions? Is there non-costly transportation from Hamilton to King's Wharf late at night?

maddawg271 wrote: .........take the ferry to Hamilton after docking, ….....shopping, then walk up to the bus terminal and go to Horseshoe Bay for part of the afternoon... then back to Hamilton and take the ferry back to the boat in time for a shower and dinner.......

Bus tip: Unless you are returning to Hamilton, for a reason not specified in your original post, from a stay at Horseshoe Bay then the quickest way back to the Dockyard would be a #7 bus outbound which has the Dockyard as the final destination. The bus ride from the HSB to the Dockyard is about 30-35 minutes; the ride from HSB to Hamilton is about 28-33 minutes and then the ferry ride is 20-25 minutes. All times exclude waiting time. The outbound bus would be a bus in the lane closer to the ocean and should identify it as a #7 going all the way to the Dockyard. Look for a bus stop with the blue pole for outbound buses. HTH

SBtS

Hi...dh and I went to the zoo and aquarium on one of our visits to Bermuda. We really enjoyed it. You pay 1 price and you get both. Last year we went to the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute...we spent 3 hours there. We really enjoyed it. There are alot of hands on stuff. Different and alot of fun. Some people don't think the zoo and aquarium are equal to big city ones.....we really enjoyed our afternoon there. Have fun no matter what you choose. We LOVE Bermuda.:D

Everyone mentions Hamilton in regards to shopping-something I have no interest in. That being the case-is there anything else to see or do walking distance from the ferry stop there or should I keep my focus on St. Georges and the beaches. I will be there for 2 days and 1 night. Thanks

No I didn't really have any detailed questions about the compass. Just some things that come to mind:

For this cruise itinerary, is there a formal night? Midnight buffet? Galley tour?

Is there a cost to rent skates for the ice rink?

yes there is 1 formal night, it is the first sea day

no, they did away with the midnight buffet and also the chocolate buffet it used to be the first day in Bermuda

not sure on a galley tour, don't remember seeing anything on it, I'm sure we would have done it, if it was an option

no fee for skates, you do HAVE to wear long pants though...

maddawg271 wrote: .........take the ferry to Hamilton after docking, ….....shopping, then walk up to the bus terminal and go to Horseshoe Bay for part of the afternoon... then back to Hamilton and take the ferry back to the boat in time for a shower and dinner.......

Bus tip: Unless you are returning to Hamilton, for a reason not specified in your original post, from a stay at Horseshoe Bay then the quickest way back to the Dockyard would be a #7 bus outbound which has the Dockyard as the final destination. The bus ride from the HSB to the Dockyard is about 30-35 minutes; the ride from HSB to Hamilton is about 28-33 minutes and then the ferry ride is 20-25 minutes. All times exclude waiting time. The outbound bus would be a bus in the lane closer to the ocean and should identify it as a #7 going all the way to the Dockyard. Look for a bus stop with the blue pole for outbound buses. HTH

SBtS

sorry for the confusion.... yes we do usually return to Hamilton for a bit more shopping on the way back to the ship... usually the wife wants to pick up something she had her eye on earlier...

Thanks Maddawg for all the tips! Girlfriend and I going to Bermuda on Explorer for 2 days as well. Already excited! We're doing Snorkel Bermuda's Shipwreck Snorkelling Excursion. Otherwise, we're just going to wing it. Planning to do St. George's first thing for some culture and history and Hamilton for shopping. Horsehoe Bay ofcourse for the beach. What do you think of the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute? Is it worth a visit? How about the aquarium? The girlfriend wants to experience Bermuda nightlife as well. Any suggestions? Is there non-costly transportation from Hamilton to King's Wharf late at night?

if going to St Georges, I suggest going early... it is a 45-55 minute ferry ride from the dockyard, not sure how long by bus, but I've heard anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs...

I've never been to the underwater institute nor the aquarium, but my wife's family went to the aquarium and enjoyed it...

Not big on nightlife, but friends of mine have been to the Hog and Penny in Hamilton and liked it...another friend spent a lot of time at the Frog and Onion Pub, which is in the Dockyard...

the only transportation would be taxi or scooter... I don't recommend the scooter...

Everyone mentions Hamilton in regards to shopping-something I have no interest in. That being the case-is there anything else to see or do walking distance from the ferry stop there or should I keep my focus on St. Georges and the beaches. I will be there for 2 days and 1 night. Thanks

well that depends on your interests...

Par-La-Ville Park is a very pretty quiet place to stroll through in the heart of Hamilton. Perot Post Office is interesting as well as the Historical Society Museum and City Hall has or did have a wonderful art collection. We also enjoyed Fort Hamilton but it's not really within walking distance. The Hog Penny Pub is within walking distance.....good for some Bermuda fish chowder and a little libation to wash it down.

Take a look at this map to "see" your way around. You can pick up a folding one at any of the Visitor's Centers.

http://www.bermudatourism.com/Downloadable_Map.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in Sept '09 and they had a free walking tour at 2:00 on Mondays. Look for the information office at the Hamilton docks. It is to the left as you get off the ferry.

We will dock at Kings Wharf, can I assume I take a ferry to st Gorge...is that where tabacco bay is ?

someone mentioned a ship wreck snorkel excursion, is that worth it ? can I do that trip without the ahip excursion ?

Is Swizzle Inn near Horseshoe bay ? is it worth a visit ?

if your visit is on the weekend, the ferry does on run to SG. Weekdays only. Tobacco Bay is at SG. On weekends to get there take the ferry to Hamilton (20-25 minute ride) and then take a route #10 or #11 bus to SG (50 minute ride).

The Swizzle Inn is only good if you are thirsty and hungry :D. The original SI is located near the caves about a 35 minute bus ride from Hamilton.

SBtS

Hi...dh and I went to the zoo and aquarium on one of our visits to Bermuda. We really enjoyed it. You pay 1 price and you get both. Last year we went to the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute...we spent 3 hours there. We really enjoyed it. There are alot of hands on stuff. Different and alot of fun. Some people don't think the zoo and aquarium are equal to big city ones.....we really enjoyed our afternoon there. Have fun no matter what you choose. We LOVE Bermuda.:D

Hi, I notice you used NCL twice for Bermuda.. question for ya. While docked (overnight) in Bermuda do you have to return to the ship by any particular time each night?

No, you can come and go as you want. That's what I love about staying in 1 port for 3 days:D You can do what you want when you want. Do things in Bermuda and then go back to the ship and eat when you want. You can get back off after dinner and stay as long as you want. Not a whole lot goes on in Bermuda late at night. I actually like staying on the ship later and going and doing things on board.:) Have a great time.

Thank-you jdarch... I can't wait. I've only been on one cruise and that was ages ago on the "tiny" Majesty. And we loved that one, so this one should be a real treat.

I hope we like Bermuda.. that's a 1st for us too. :D

Archived