Missing ship - in jail - what happens????

grak

Having just returned from a cruise filled with "Spring Breakers" I wonder what happens when -- drank too much in port and didn't make it back before the ship left. What happens when they get (sooner or later) back to dock and the ship is gone? Second question -- someone was arrested and jailed and missed the ship. ??? Just curious!:confused:

I'm guessing they have to find / pay their own way back.

I was reading through the contract with Carnival, and it states specifically that you're responsible for your own way home if you get detained, confined, or otherwise miss the ship.

That would really suck. :(

They took someone to jail in Cozumel for a very minor hit on their back fender by another car (set up) and its a crime in Mexico so they had to pay $800 to get him out of jail. If its something like that, hopefully the guy had credit cards with him to fly home.

If you miss the ship, you are on your own to get home.

Having just returned from a cruise filled with "Spring Breakers" I wonder what happens when -- drank too much in port and didn't make it back before the ship left. What happens when they get (sooner or later) back to dock and the ship is gone? Second question -- someone was arrested and jailed and missed the ship. ??? Just curious!:confused:

They are on their own (even if they had Cruise Insurance, which only reimburses for specific, covered reasons that don't include incarceration).

If they just miss the ship departure, they're on their own for any local expenses and expenses to catch the ship. No reimbursement from Carnival or Insurance.

If they're too late to catch the remainder of the trip, They'll get no reimbursement from Carnival for the remainder of the trip, hopefully they have a Passport (required to FLY back to the US), and they'll have to pay for their own return ticket. No reimbursement from Carnival or Insurance.

ken

In Ensenada, we were eating lunch really late, around 4:30... we were due back on board no later than 5:30.. and saw what looked like a cruiser in the back of a policia car!

No clue if she was on our ship, or another, but she looked unimpressed.

I'm guessing they have to find / pay their own way back.

I was reading through the contract with Carnival, and it states specifically that you're responsible for your own way home if you get detained, confined, or otherwise miss the ship.

That would really suck. :(

It will be a long swim home. Unless of course if it is Mexico, then it could be a long bus ride home.;)

A year or so ago, I read a thread about two young ladies who missed their ship in Cozumel. Fortunately for them, another Carnival ship was in port the same day, but with a later departure.

Amazingly, Carnival found a cabin on the second ship for them. Unfortunately, it was a lower category than their original and this ship was on its way home, whereas their original ship was on its outbound leg, so they missed a couple of days of their cruise.

I heard that they had the gall to complain that their new cabin was smaller and that they lost two or three days of their cruise. Talk about ingrates!

In other cases, you may be able to fly ahead to catch up to your ship, but you will have to pay for that yourself, as well as any meals and/or hotel. This is one reason that I always take my passport ashore with me, even in a US port, such as St. Thomas. While a passport is not absolutely necessary to cruise, it is pretty much absolutely necessary to fly internationally.

A year or so ago, I read a thread about two young ladies who missed their ship in Cozumel. Fortunately for them, another Carnival ship was in port the same day, but with a later departure.

Amazingly, Carnival found a cabin on the second ship for them. Unfortunately, it was a lower category than their original and this ship was on its way home, whereas their original ship was on its outbound leg, so they missed a couple of days of their cruise.

I heard that they had the gall to complain that their new cabin was smaller and that they lost two or three days of their cruise. Talk about ingrates!

In other cases, you may be able to fly ahead to catch up to your ship, but you will have to pay for that yourself, as well as any meals and/or hotel. This is one reason that I always take my passport ashore with me, even in a US port, such as St. Thomas. While a passport is not absolutely necessary to cruise, it is pretty much absolutely necessary to fly internationally.

I remember that ... they were also pissed because it was going back into Tampa instead of Miami or vice versa and had to get back to their originating port on their own. :rolleyes:

I was on the Adventure of the Seas in 2003. We were in St Maarten and missed the ship. The next day it was in St Thomas so we just hopped a flight to catch up with the ship. That is why I always carry my passport on the islands. Cost me a hotel room and a plane ticket on American Eagle. Not a big deal unless I was without my passport. I might still be in St Maarten. It still amazes me that people will travel to a foreign country via cruise ship with no passport.

If they have a functioning brain once its de-pickled, they will LEARN both a life lesson and a financial lesson. Missing the ship's sailing is one of the classes in the old, "School of Hard Knocks!"

Ditto the Antigua Six were thugs.

From Cozumel, I think Carnival does try to accommodate you on another ship or perhaps the same ship if you can hang for a week (not literally). Certainly no obligation on their part to do so.

You should really leave your passport on the ship unless required by law have with you (rare). When Carnival leaves someone behind, they will typically open your safe and if they find your passport will leave with the port agent.

The name of the port agent is something you should always have. They will be able to notify the ship you were found and should know what options you have.

Our cruise director recommended not taking the passports ashore with us in Mexico. I always wondered about that.

We took the 4 night cruise and went to Ensenada. The only reaosn you would need you passport there I assume would be if you got into trouble. No one ever,,at the entrance to the dock area or the ship, ever asked for a picture ID. Our S&S card was all we needed.

Whne we returned to Long Beach I saw one guy in the cabin across and down the hall (3 cabins away) get taken off in handcuffs by the Customs officers and had heard 2 others from other floors were being taken away too. So you can get arrested even if you make it back home.

I remember that ... they were also pissed because it was going back into Tampa instead of Miami or vice versa and had to get back to their originating port on their own. :rolleyes:

unreal...:rolleyes:

I wonder why anyone would not take their passports with them off ship in a foreign port. Things happen. I noted that 4 passengers were not on the ship in Matzalan and there was a representative from Carnival - they gave her photocopies of the passengers that had their photos and they gave her 1 passport -- I'm guessing they went to the cabin to retrieve it - maybe the others had theirs (or not). I assume she waited for them and helped point out their next step.

The other person - brought drugs on board and was arrested and was taken off ship by Mexican authorities. So I know he didn't make it back on board.

If they have a functioning brain once its de-pickled, they will LEARN both a life lesson and a financial lesson. Missing the ship's sailing is one of the classes in the old, "School of Hard Knocks!"

That pretty much sums it up.

And I don't know if the 4 in Matzalan were spring break kids -- could have been anyone who just didn't make it back for whatever reason.

I wonder why anyone would not take their passports with them off ship in a foreign port.

Things do happen. Encountering a pickpocket or other petty thief is probably the most common. I can't believe that some passengers take all of their money and/or all of their credit cards off the ship.

If you lose your passport (all money, all credit cards, all IDs), what do you do at the next port?

In some ports a picture id is required, but it doesn't have to be your passport.

Things do happen. Encountering a pickpocket or other petty thief is probably the most common. I can't believe that some passengers take all of their money and/or all of their credit cards off the ship.

If you lose your passport (all money, all credit cards, all IDs), what do you do at the next port?

In some ports a picture id is required, but it doesn't have to be your passport.

Yes, things happen. That's precisely WHY I always take my passport. Yes, it can be stolen or lost. So can a camera, purse, wallet, cash or credit cards. A passport is just one more valuable item that must be handled with a little common sense.

I don't take ALL my credit cards ashore with me. I don't take ALL my cash with me.

We always take round-trip cruises that return to the original port, so we technically don't need a passport at all. I take a certified copy of our birth certificates AND a passport. When we go ashore, the PP goes with us and the BC stays in the cabin.

If we miss the ship, flying home or to the next port of call is going to be MUCH easier with a passport than without. If I should lose the passport, I still have the BC In the cabin to get through US Customs/Immigration at the return port.

A passport's entire reason for existing is for international travel. To leave it locked in the shipboard safe seems to me to be defeating the whole purpose of having a passport. You don't need it to return to the US by sea. You DO need it to return to the US by air or by ground transportation. If I'm standing on the dock, or in a Mexican hospital and need to fly home or to the next port, having my passport in the safe doesn't do me any good. I don't want the hassle of finding the port agent. If I have it in my pocket, that's one less problem.

IMHO, if you're going to leave a passport locked in the cabin safe, you might as well not waste the money to get one, because you won't need it if you're on the ship when it returns to its port of origin. If you need to fly home, you don't need the hassle of trying to contact the embassy or consulate for alternate travel documents.

YMMV.

Archived