July 5: Anchorage ( Comfort Creek Inn)

- Alaska Botanical Gardens

- Hike Flat top Mountain

- Bike around Tony Knowles Trail

July 6: Seward

- Drive to Seward

- Exit Glacier

- Alaska Sealife Center

- Possibly the 3 hour Kenai Fjord Major Marine tours - Need comments from other who have done this tour please.

- come back to Anchorage - may change this to stay in Seward for the night

July 7: Talkeetna

- Drive to Talkeetna on the way to Denali

- Denali Grand tour with Glacier Landing with K2 Aviation at 1 pm

- Drive to Denali Park - Drive to first 15 mile marker and hike the 2 mile loop at Savage River

- Stay at Denali Lakeview Inn at Healy

July 8: Denali

- Do the Shuttle tour to Eieson (66 miles)

- back to Denali Lakeview Inn

July 9: Denali

- Scenic Wilderness - 2 hour oar trip with Denali Outdoor Center

- Drive back to Anchorage - Ship Creek Inn

July 10: Anchorage/Whittier

- Train to Whittier at 10 am

- 1:15 pm - Major Marine PWS Glacier tour 4.5 hrs

July 13: Skagway

- 7:30 to 3 pm - Chilkoot Yukon Trail and Bus tour

- hang around town

July 14: Juneau

- 9 - 12:30 - Whale Watch with Orca Enterprises

- Mendenhall Glacier combo with Orca

- Mt. Roberts Tramway

July 15: Ketchikan

- Totem Bight Park

- City Self Guiding Tour

- Duck tour

July 17: Vancouver

- Fly out

thank you

The Portage Glacier visitors center is located very close to the tunnel which leaves the dock area. It is on the "other side" of the tunnel. We stopped there after our cruise and I was really suprised at how nice it was. There were many interactive and video based exhibits and it would have been easy to spend a few hours there.

I realize you are taking the train to the pier but you want to look to see if there are any ground options that would stop at the visitors center, presuming you have an interest and a couple of hours prior to your cruise.

maybe yuo should cut time somewhere else and stay in vancouver.

i am sailing from Seward so added in lots of sighseeign there.

vancouver thsi trip i am adding in Whsitler.. but i have done Chinatown, Grouse mt, bridge and stanley park.. this tiem grandville island and chinatown- ahve to hsve lunch.

also i am doing the 6 hour boat ride in seward.. could you cut time in denali for other places.. who knows if you will even see the mt.. i never did- most do not.

July 5th is pretty ambitious...prioritize so that if you don't get to the 3rd item, it is your least "must do."

July 6th...I wouldn't go all that way just for that. I would suggest to concentrate Anchorage and south, or Anchorage and north. 5 days just isn't time to do both. We have friends coming for 12 days this summer, and even then, it's difficult to fit in the things they want to do...they thought they could do Homer to Fairbanks, but it just won't fit in unless they cut out some activities...better to not go as many places and have fun in the places you do go; again, just my personal preference)

I would not go to Seward as a day trip and especially if not taking a 6 hour or longer boat tour. But I also definitely would not drive from Seward to Denali in one day.

We are doing Seward in one day with the 6hr. Kenai tour and the roundtrip train. (We did splurge for the Goldstar service so hopefully it will be a little more comfortable) Wish we had more time, but did what worked for us. I think it can be done but you have to be prepared for a VERY long day! I definately agree about not driving to Denali is one day! :)

Archived