Everything Serenade of the Seas

Speaking of US Customs inspectors, we had the cutest US agriculture dog sniffing our bags at debarkation. Well, he was sniffing all bags but mine are loaded with cat hair (no matter how hard I try to get rid of it) so our bags were a little more interesting than most.

They use beagles for this and they are the cutest things. It made the wait in line (which moves briskly) more enjoyable.

Off topic, but, as the owner of two beagles, there's a very good reason that the USA uses beagles for their agricultural searches- they're 49% nose and 49% stomach! Our vet calls them piggles.

We also had a funny incident with a German shepherd bomb-sniffing dog at NYC cruise dock- he jumped into the back of my station wagon, found the scent of the dog treats I had used to get my beagles into the back for the trip to the kennel, and refused to get out. Laid down and made himself comfy- much to the embarassment of his handler.

On topic- please keep the hints coming- we sail the SOTS in July- our first time on her. Balcony/suite hints are interesting- but does anyone have any hints for those of us in insides???? (cabin 9015)

First cruise coming up on Radiance class as well. We are sailing with 2 first-time cruise couples. We hope everything goes well as we have certainly built it up to an awesome vacation! I'm sure it will as we have never had a bad cruise on any line.

I read about a brunch in Portofino's - can anyone tell me more about that has been on this ship. $35 sounds high, it is actually more than dinner.

See post # 55 in this thread by melbur as she covers this topic in her post. This should help with any follow-up questions you may have.

Radiance class ships are wonderful with all of their glass and the Serenade has some nice touches.....her crew was as nice as they could be during January....the wait staff and bar servers even came to check on us during week 2 after having been assigned different locations after week 1...ask your questions...especially 1st time Serenade cruisers.

Lou

I read about a brunch in Portofino's - can anyone tell me more about that has been on this ship. $35 sounds high, it is actually more than dinner.

Apart from LOTS of food of all kind, it does include your mimosas, champagne, bloody marys etc. You are seated about 11:45 to eat. And the entertainment value of the galley tour, if that interests you. We found it fascinating knowing how many dining rooms they cover and meals they have to make. Watching the bread making was amazing.

Okay,

I have another question. Do we need to bring our own beach towels? Or are they provided? What about at the ports? Can we take the towels off the ship to use on the beaches?

You do not have to bring beach towels...they are provided. In order to get a new fresh towel, you must turn in an old towel, or you will be charged for a lost towel.

BILL

We are sailing Dec. 11th to St. Thomas, St. Croix, Antigua, Dominica & Grenada [saturday to Saturday].

Any pro's or con's to staying on deck 10, starboard side, Jr. Suite near Owners Suite?

Is the dock on the starboard side on any of these ports?

Are all the aft elevators located on the port side as pictured in the deck plans?

In regards to the above ports, will we receive morning or afternoon sun on the balcony?

Thank you for your help. :)

Take care,

Suzy B

We are sailing Dec. 11th to St. Thomas, St. Croix, Antigua, Dominica & Grenada [saturday to Saturday].

Last time we were starboard (usually afters) but during January on starboard side here are the answers...all will depend on if they pull in or back in and if other ships are there.

St. Thomas...pulled in....we could see the Haversight Mall area (was rainydrizzle no sun)

St. Croix...pulled in...we were on the non-dock side...so got some views of the island coastline....sunny on balcony in afternoon but the overhand over deck 10 will provide some shade

Antigua-pulled in....we were next to the Explorer on starboard so got to look at her

Dominica-pulled in....were on non-dock side....saw coastline

Grenada-pulled in....saw coastline

Hope this helps a little bit....you will see coastline on both sides and on deck 10 you will be looking out.....you may hear the dock cruisers talking some as they come back...but your views will not be interrupted unless a ship is right next to you

Lou

Any pro's or con's to staying on deck 10, starboard side, Jr. Suite near Owners Suite?

Is the dock on the starboard side on any of these ports? Depends where the ship pulls in

Are all the aft elevators located on the port side as pictured in the deck plans?

There are no aft elevators

In regards to the above ports, will we receive morning or afternoon sun on the balcony?

Take care,

Suzy B

not sure what you meant by the elevator question, there are only stairs in the aft, no elevators

The next time the Serenade pulls into San Juan, it's because she wants to pick me up! It's my first time on the Radiance class and I've heard such glowing accounts about this particular ship that I'm really excited.

We leave on Friday morning to overnight in OSJ. I told myself we'd spend much of the day touring the city and head over to the ship late Saturday afternoon, but I'll bet we'll be too excited to get on board and end up grabbing a cab by noon.

The next time the Serenade pulls into San Juan, it's because she wants to pick me up! It's my first time on the Radiance class and I've heard such glowing accounts about this particular ship that I'm really excited.

We leave on Friday morning to overnight in OSJ. I told myself we'd spend much of the day touring the city and head over to the ship late Saturday afternoon, but I'll bet we'll be too excited to get on board and end up grabbing a cab by noon.

The ship is wonderful...grab your gab at 11:30 AM an head to the ship...you will have plenty of time to explore the ship, and it will feel like home; before you sail-a-way!

Have a fabulous trip!

BILL

Is the dock on the starboard side on any of these ports?

Take care,

Suzy B

There are two sets of elevators on the Serenade. There is a set (four, I think) at the front of the ship just behind the theater.

There is another set of elevators on the hump of the ship...just aft of the center of the ship! The elevators on the hump are on the port side only. There are four glass enclosed elevators that overlook the sea and 2 that overlook the centrum.

The stairs that show on the deck plans at the AFT are for crew only! If you are in the aft of the ship, will be able to eat as much as you want, because you will walk it off every day!

BILL

Oh....definitely get to the port by noon or before! I like to get the full benefit of that first day! We've sailed out of San Juan many, many times.......love it. We 're scheduled for the June 20th and 27th sailings for our 25th anniversary. The Serenade is the only Raidiance Class ship that we have not sailed. They are the best!!!! Can't wait!

Last July, we sailed the Serenade to Alaska. Stayed in Deck 7 connecting balconies. These are the cabins that have the overhang directly below the balcony. Many have posted that these cabins should be avoided but I have to say that the overhang wasn't really an issue until we sailed to the glacier and viewing small icebergs was partially obstructed.

That shouldn't be an issue in the Caribbean!

Don't hesitate to book these cabins if saving money is a priority.

Alaska1166.jpg

Alaska1181.jpg

Alaska1122.jpg

I'm so excited to go on this ship, especially after so many of you said you liked it!!! :D

I will be on her for this cruise also. I have heard a lot of great things about the Radiance class ships. I'm looking to see all that glory for myself. Maybe we'll see you at the pool bar, or the Diamond event, if you are Diamond. Even if we don't, enjoy your cruise:):):):):).

onyourtoes,

We are also on the 9/26 sailing! I can't wait - September seems soooo far away! I'm really looking forward to this ship as it'll be my first time on this class and I've read so many wonderful things about it. Please join our roll call!

Karen

. . . and us, too!!!

Has anyone stayed in cabin D1 #9558 on the right side. We are doing a B2B 10/3 & 10/10. Had a hard time finding a cabin that we could have for both cruises. Hope it is a good one.

Stayed B2B in Cabin 9538 on the starboard side in January, right down the hall from 9558.

You will have plenty of room for B2B. DW was very happy for the extra space over an E1. It's only 25 sq ft bigger but it gives you space in the middle of the cabin to walk around each other.

We only experienced some rolling motion on the nights returning from Barbados and Grenada when the ship was making 16 knots. But it was

lights out by then and being vertical relieves this.

Cabin 9558 is in a more preferable location as it is near the center of the ship, if not on the hump at least near the hump ie you get a smoother ride. These litle sitting areas by the Centrum only have 1 or 2 tables and a few chairs and you will get no major foot traffic from there.

Another major advantage of deck 9 is that the only people that want to go there will have their cabins there. There are better ways to go fore and aft on other decks. And you're only 2 decks away from all the great stuff on deck 11 (pool, Solarium, WindJammer, spas etc. )

To me it beats deck 10 because you don't have the immediate overhang of the pool deck over your balcony, even though deck 10-ers get the "suite life".

Finally 9558 has a sofa that is a sofa bed just in case 2 weeks is just too much to be in the same bed in the cabin one of you can have a place of refuge!

Sounds like you've got a winner there.

You WILL have a great cruise.

Archived