Difference between Sail Tranguilo, Octopus and Mi Dushi sail and snorkel trips?

Work to travel

Will be Aruba, Tuesday, May 11 on the Noordam. We want to go on a sail and snorkel trip and are trying to figure out which trip to select. Could anyone tell me their experiences with these boats and how they are different from each other?:confused: I had read Mi Dishi was more of a "party boat"? We are looking for laid back sail with great snorkel sights--not needing the "party" atmosphere so much.

Thanks so very much for your help!:)

Mi Dushi, Octopus and Jolly Pirates all go to similar, if not the same snorkel stops. We have sailed with JP's and found it to be a family atmosphere and not a "party boat". There will, however be people drinking.

Tranquilo is a much longer day and is just as much a day of sailing as snorkeling. The snorkeling is more limited on Tranquilo, but totally different location and imo, better quality. Think quality over quantity.

We have sailed with Tranquilo twice and JP's once and enjoyed both and would not hesitate doing either one again. There have been some recent complaints that 20 people on Tranquilo was too many people. We had 24 people on board in June and though it was full, it in no way took away from the enjoyment of our experience. I guess it depends upon your attitude? :rolleyes:

We were on the Tranquilo last Friday. 9 of us plus 2 crew members. The sailing was fun. Anthony and Gregory gave great service. It was a 2 hour sail to the snorkel site, 2 hours of snorkeling and 2 hours sailing back. Gregory took us in the dinghy back to the cruise pier so that we didn't have to worry about getting back to the cruise ship in time. It would have been close. It was very windy and the snorkeling was not as enjoyable as other snorkeling trips we have taken. You had to swim hard against the wind to get back to the entry point. The reef was good with lots of coral and fish. One of the other passengers had snorkeled the spot before and said it was much calmer on her first trip. Maybe we just hit it on a very windy day but Gregory implied that it was a typical day as far as the wind was concerned. I was disappointed in that I had read reviews talking about the calm shallow water snorkeling. We did not do the drift snorkel and should have. Passengers that did, said it was much easier snorkeling in the deeper water. Not sorry we booked it, but not our favorite snorkeling experience. Also, it left us just under an hour to walk around the pier before getting back on the cruise ship. Where you meet the boat is a beautiful beach and would like to spend more time there next trip to Aruba.

Yes, we have been on the Midushi many times, It leaves from Palm Pier by Hi rises. 3 great snorkle spots, ( they all basically go to the same spots). They have a great crew, swing and lots of fun. They serve you lunch on china plated, not sandwiches. drinks are included.

• 11 months later...
We were on the Tranquilo last Friday. 9 of us plus 2 crew members. The sailing was fun. Anthony and Gregory gave great service. It was a 2 hour sail to the snorkel site, 2 hours of snorkeling and 2 hours sailing back. Gregory took us in the dinghy back to the cruise pier so that we didn't have to worry about getting back to the cruise ship in time. It would have been close. It was very windy and the snorkeling was not as enjoyable as other snorkeling trips we have taken. You had to swim hard against the wind to get back to the entry point. The reef was good with lots of coral and fish. One of the other passengers had snorkeled the spot before and said it was much calmer on her first trip. Maybe we just hit it on a very windy day but Gregory implied that it was a typical day as far as the wind was concerned. I was disappointed in that I had read reviews talking about the calm shallow water snorkeling. We did not do the drift snorkel and should have. Passengers that did, said it was much easier snorkeling in the deeper water. Not sorry we booked it, but not our favorite snorkeling experience. Also, it left us just under an hour to walk around the pier before getting back on the cruise ship. Where you meet the boat is a beautiful beach and would like to spend more time there next trip to Aruba.

Looking at all these posts, trying to figure out who to use in Aruba next year and noticed your screen name. Hope you had a great cruise on the Serenade and it was a pleasure meeting you. Don't know whether you will see this again, but how would you compare Mi Dushi to Silvermoon in Barbados? I loved the Silvermoon trip but was disappointed in the snorkeling. I have been to Mike's reef where Mi Dushi goes with Mike himself....but I can't find his sail tour anymore. :( So now I am trying to find something comparable to Silvermoon with better snorkeling.

Looking at all these posts' date=' trying to figure out who to use in Aruba next year and noticed your screen name. Hope you had a great cruise on the Serenade and it was a pleasure meeting you. Don't know whether you will see this again, but how would you compare Mi Dushi to Silvermoon in Barbados? I loved the Silvermoon trip but was disappointed in the snorkeling. I have been to Mike's reef where Mi Dushi goes with Mike himself....but I can't find his sail tour anymore. :( So now I am trying to find something comparable to Silvermoon with better snorkeling.[/quote']

We sailed with Tranquilo, not Mi Dushi. There were 4 couples and room for about 5 in the shade. It is a sailboat, not a cat and the sailing was great. I honestly can't remember the food but I think it was the typical meal. The service was great and we had a good time due to the sailing. The snorkeling was at one spot. At the shallow area we snorkeled at our own pace. It was very windy and we had to fight the strong current. We did not do the drift snorkeling and should have. Those that did said the snorkeling was much better and easier because they swam with the current. With only 8 people you don't have the herd mentality. Greg and I always feel rushed with the larger tours and spend more time trying to keep up with the leader and not getting to really look at the reefs. I would prefer to snorkel at my own pace. I want to be taken to a spot, pointed to the areas to snorkel, told how long we have and left alone. But that doesn't seem to happen.

We are cruising at Thanksgiving and will be going back to Aruba. Will have to start planning again!

We sailed with Tranquilo, not Mi Dushi. There were 4 couples and room for about 5 in the shade. It is a sailboat, not a cat and the sailing was great. I honestly can't remember the food but I think it was the typical meal. The service was great and we had a good time due to the sailing. The snorkeling was at one spot. At the shallow area we snorkeled at our own pace. It was very windy and we had to fight the strong current. We did not do the drift snorkeling and should have. Those that did said the snorkeling was much better and easier because they swam with the current. With only 8 people you don't have the herd mentality. Greg and I always feel rushed with the larger tours and spend more time trying to keep up with the leader and not getting to really look at the reefs. I would prefer to snorkel at my own pace. I want to be taken to a spot, pointed to the areas to snorkel, told how long we have and left alone. But that doesn't seem to happen.

We are cruising at Thanksgiving and will be going back to Aruba. Will have to start planning again!

Oops :o, I was looking at so many last night I forgot which one I was reading. That really is my dilemma, do I want to go with Tranquilo or Mi Dushi. Two different experiences.

I do remember those very strong currents and where we were the coral was SO close (kind of scary). Gene even cut his knee a little. I really saw a lot of different stuff though. We were the only couple on the boat so it was a wonderful day. I wish Mike was still in business....or I could find him. I REALLY like the idea of just snorkeling on your own too. The snorkeling all together was the downfall of Silvermoon. I do not like the masses in the water flailing about and having to follow.

Thank you for your response :D. Good luck with planning. My son picked this cruise (Adventure) but still hasn't given me a date, so I am awaiting anxiously. Will probably be in March.

Happy cruising!!

. I wish Mike was still in business....or I could find him.

Tranquilo's website says where they snorkel (Mike's reef) is named after his dad so it may be the same family you are looking for.

We are going with Princess this time because it stops at Grenada and Bonaire. Bonaire has been our best snorkeling port so far.

Tranquilo's website says where they snorkel (Mike's reef) is named after his dad so it may be the same family you are looking for.

We are going with Princess this time because it stops at Grenada and Bonaire. Bonaire has been our best snorkeling port so far.

That should be very nice. I wish I could find a cruise that would go to all of the ABC islands and then maybe one more on the way down or back. That would be perfect..... at least for snorkelers/divers. I hope we can find some good snorkeling in Curacao. Have you been?

Mi Dushi is a larger boat which goes to the common snorkel spots at the northern end of the island.

"Three (3) Snorkeling stops (two (2) shallow reefs and the German shipwreck, the Antilla) "

Tranquilo is captained by Captain Anthony Hagedoorn. His father was Captain Mike and the reef is named after him. Mike's Reef

Strea charters goes to an area, Mangel Halto, near where Tranquilo goes http://www.streacharters.com/strea-charters-prices-aruba-cruise-trips.html

Mangel Halto

Morningstar http://www.morningstararuba.com/ offers the most intimate experience. Their 3 hour snorkel ..."We recommend stopping at Spanish Lagoon." Spanish Lagoon is again, the same area as Mike's reef and Mangel Halto.

Morningstar overall would probably be the most comparable to the Silver Moon.

That should be very nice. I wish I could find a cruise that would go to all of the ABC islands and then maybe one more on the way down or back. That would be perfect..... at least for snorkelers/divers. I hope we can find some good snorkeling in Curacao. Have you been?

You might check Holland America. At one time they had a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale that went to the ABC islands and their private island. Kathy and Tom from our roll call had high praise for Holland America. Unfortunately, they don't sail from San Juan.

Mi Dushi is a larger boat which goes to the common snorkel spots at the northern end of the island.

"Three (3) Snorkeling stops (two (2) shallow reefs and the German shipwreck, the Antilla) "

Tranquilo is captained by Captain Anthony Hagedoorn. His father was Captain Mike and the reef is named after him. Mike's Reef

Strea charters goes to an area, Mangel Halto, near where Tranquilo goes http://www.streacharters.com/strea-charters-prices-aruba-cruise-trips.html

Mangel Halto

Morningstar

http://www.morningstararuba.com/ offers the most intimate experience. Their 3 hour snorkel ..."We recommend stopping at Spanish Lagoon." Spanish Lagoon is again, the same area as Mike's reef and

Mangel Halto.

Arubalisa, which of the options above let you snorkel at your own pace? DH and I prefer a slower pace than we have found with the guided tours. Too many fins in our face and kicked constantly. Even with the smaller excursions, the guided tours seem rush,rush. We both have underwater cameras and prefer quality time versus larger area covered. Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks so much for your great information.

Mangel Halto

Morningstar http://www.morningstararuba.com/ offers the most intimate experience. Their 3 hour snorkel ..."We recommend stopping at Spanish Lagoon." Spanish Lagoon is again, the same area as Mike's reef and Mangel Halto.

Thank you so much Arubalisa - you were such a big help to me a few years ago. I am confused about Mike's reef....maybe our "Mike" was pulling our leg. He said he was co-owner of the reef - we went with him on the "Dream On" Anyway, I'm going to have to do some thinking here...just what do we want....great snorkeling, pleasant sailing, and a few beverages would be just great ;):D

You might check Holland America. At one time they had a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale that went to the ABC islands and their private island. Kathy and Tom from our roll call had high praise for Holland America. Unfortunately, they don't sail from San Juan.

After I wrote that I actually did do some searching and found the 10 day HAL trip. It sounds wonderful!!! And actually since I have been pricing airfares for next year (only Feb of course) Ft Lauderdale might not be a bad option. If the kids don't end up going, we might just try the HAL and hope for the best. I said I wouldn't do HAL until I was 80 or so. LOL

but how would you compare Mi Dushi to Silvermoon in Barbados? So now I am trying to find something comparable to Silvermoon with better snorkeling.

We did both in January. It's difficult to compare the 2...there were 10 of us on the Silvermoon cat, vs. 30-40 of us on the Mi Dushi sailboat. Both had 3 stops, unlimited drinks, and a good lunch.

Personally, I thought the snorkeling was better on Mi Dushi...we were on Mi Dushi last year, too, and the water was calmer then. I didn't snorkel much the first 2 stops (because of murky and choppy water, but at the 3rd stop, I was one of the last 3 back on the boat. Taking our time and exploring all areas (the deeper sandy bottom, the more shallow rocky area, and the rock ledges near shore) resulted in more variety than I remember seeing when on the Silvermoon.

Thanks for everyone impute. We have decided on Mi Dushi. Can anyone tell me about getting a taxi to their location? How much should this cost? Would it be easy to take a bus?

Thanks for everyone impute!

I don't think you can book Mi Dushi except through your cruiseship (unless the Noordam doesn't use Mi Dushi), and then I would think transportation would be provided (at least it was through Princess).

We did both in January. It's difficult to compare the 2...there were 10 of us on the Silvermoon cat, vs. 30-40 of us on the Mi Dushi sailboat. Both had 3 stops, unlimited drinks, and a good lunch.

Personally, I thought the snorkeling was better on Mi Dushi...we were on Mi Dushi last year, too, and the water was calmer then. I didn't snorkel much the first 2 stops (because of murky and choppy water, but at the 3rd stop, I was one of the last 3 back on the boat. Taking our time and exploring all areas (the deeper sandy bottom, the more shallow rocky area, and the rock ledges near shore) resulted in more variety than I remember seeing when on the Silvermoon.

Thank you, I will keep all of this in mind.

• 1 month later...

Yes, they are still in business. They had some vandalism to their boat a few months ago but I just read a post on another forum from someone who just went snorkeling with them. I would email them again, and would also check your spam. I have emailed several places in Aruba in the past and their responses ended up in my spam for some unknown reason.:cool:

• 1 year later...

Personally, I thought the snorkeling was better on Mi Dushi...we were on Mi Dushi last year, too, and the water was calmer then. I didn't snorkel much the first 2 stops (because of murky and choppy water, but at the 3rd stop, I was one of the last 3 back on the boat. Ta king our time and exploring all areas (the deeper sandy bottom, the more shallow rocky area, and the rock ledges near shore) resulted in more variety than I remember seeing when on the Silvermoon.

We are considering the Mi Dushi afternoon snorkle trip (3:30 - 6:30) since our ship doesn't get to port until 1:00. This Mi Dushi trip only goes to two places - the shipwreck and Boca Catalina. Where did you stop where you didn't have as choppy, murky water and saw a variety of fish? The Jolly Pirates leaves at 2:30 and goes to 3 stops so I'm considering them. However, I've read really good reviews of Mi Dushi. Any information is appreciated!

Archived