Yukon Scenic Drive

Duncarob

Anyone ever do this tour from Skagway? Did you enjoy it? What can you tell me about it?
A great trip. Very easy drive on well-maintained road with light traffic and lots of pullouts for photo ops. Scenery varies greatly from one location to another and also with the seasons. (Looked like a totally different drive in September from the way it looked in May.)

Be sure to get a copy of Murray's guide for the trip. He describes everything to see along the way in detail, mile-by-mile and even includes photos.

See the thread Car/Van Rental in Skagway

Thanks, just to clarify, this is the excursion offered through the ship, I believe on buses or tour vans; we will not be renting a car. Unfortunately, Avis will not yet be open for the season when we are there on May 8. I am leary to rent from the other outfit as I have heard their vehicles are much older.

Thanks, just to clarify, this is the excursion offered through the ship, I believe on buses or tour vans; we will not be renting a car. Unfortunately, Avis will not yet be open for the season when we are there on May 8. I am leary to rent from the other outfit as I have heard their vehicles are much older.

DH and I did this excursion last May and it was fantastic! I highly recommend it. It was a wonderful day and we still had plenty of time in Skagway after the excursion. We saw a bear on the way back, right next to the road, which was an added bonus.

For a detailed review of the excursion, you can click on the My Cruise Journals link in my signature and from there just click on Alaska May 2009 cruise. Go to the Skagway page. There are lots of pics from the excursion too.

You'll have a great time!

which side of the bus do i sit on to see the grizzly whales from my balcony?

though the dreams are amusing, why do i have a fever and the flu is still running rampant through southeast?

are those my legs? i don't remember buying black nylons with the seam up the back.

Thank you! As you can see, we loved Alaska so much, we're going back in 59 days.....(but who's counting). :D

Fabulous pictures! Curious......on this excursion - I see that you stopped for lunch. Was that included with the excursion? How many people are in each Jeep?

Thanks! I can't wait to go!

Fabulous pictures! Curious......on this excursion - I see that you stopped for lunch. Was that included with the excursion? How many people are in each Jeep?

Thanks! I can't wait to go!

Yes, lunch was included in the price of the excursion but it wasn't a jeep, it was a small bus/large van. If I remember correctly there were about 15 of us in our little group.

Brenda

Thanks for sharing! Awesome photos and great read!

Brenda,

Thanks so much for the pictures! We took a similar tour in July. We stopped at a place with a Wildlife Museum (Taxidermy) and lots of sled dogs. DW took a ride on a dog sled with wheels and loved it!!

Bill :)

Longhornfan2 and Cruizer Bill, you're very welcome. We are SO excited to be returning to Alaska in 8 short weeks. This will be our first time visiting Seattle, Victoria and Glacier Bay too so it's not exactly the same cruise as last time. Down to 58 days! :D

Unfortunately, Avis will not yet be open for the season when we are there on May 8.....
Duncarob, I was just on the Avis website checking rates in Skagway (3rd and Spring Street location) and thought I would try plugging in May 8 since they were already showing prices for earlier days in May.

It is showing the total price for a compact on May 8, including all taxes and surcharges, as $113.85

For a full sized car the total price is $129.95

These are the non-discounted prices, so if you have a coupon code or are eligible for a discount it would cost even less. Just thought you would like to know.

Someone may have mentioned this or not...but probably bears repeating if so....remember if you travel to the Yukon you will have to have your passport with you even if you are on a tour/van trip. This is a must...they may let you out....but won't let you back in the US without it....so remember Passport Please.

Lou

Archived