Is it possible to cruise with a family for.....

ann41

I have been looking for a month now and I know I am not going to find any but thought I would ask here. We are a family of 4 and wanted to take a cruise in July to the Caribbean really would love the Bahamas but the only problem is we need a balcony( I am very Claustrophobia)and we need to leave from New York. I have been getting prices from 4,600-7,000 and that is way to much... See I had a stroke at the age of 40 and I finally am feeling better to take a vacation and I always loves cruises so I thought it would be great since I missed out on over a year of my life that this would be great for all of us to do... But OMG cruises are soooooo expensive... Oh well I guess I could dream about taking one...

You have picked the most expensive time of the year to go.

I would think though you could find a less expensive one on carnival especially since the 3 and 4th passengers are rather inexpensive.

Is the price you mention for standard balcony or a suite?

Best of lucik to you.

Actually we find cruising a relatively cheap vacation.

I have been looking for a month now and I know I am not going to find any but thought I would ask here. We are a family of 4 and wanted to take a cruise in July to the Caribbean really would love the Bahamas but the only problem is we need a balcony( I am very Claustrophobia)and we need to leave from New York. I have been getting prices from 4,600-7,000 and that is way to much... See I had a stroke at the age of 40 and I finally am feeling better to take a vacation and I always loves cruises so I thought it would be great since I missed out on over a year of my life that this would be great for all of us to do... But OMG cruises are soooooo expensive... Oh well I guess I could dream about taking one...

Leaving out of NYC is EXPENSIVE!!!!!! You might be better to fly to Florida, and also JULY is a peak time to vacation!!!! Go in the fall months! WAY cheaper!!!!!! Or early winter months!

Hi, Ann!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on your recovery.

You can save some money if you can get to Baltimore, it's not terribly far from New York and the prices for July are much better.

You can get a balcony cabin for 4 at $3,876, much cheaper than the prices you quoted. That sailing would be July 25 on the Carnival Pride.

Here's hoping that you can find a cruise that falls in your price and date range.

All the best.

-Mach

The NYC cruise prices in summer are one reason we have never cruised from here. We actually have found it cheaper for the 4 of us to fly to Florida and cruise from there! Mach's suggestion of going to Baltimore is good - as long as you can withstand the car trip. Glad to hear you are feeling good enough to cruise! Hope you find something in your price range. Keep looking - you may be able to get a last minute deal if cabins need to be sold off so the ship sails full.

Thank you for responding!!!!!! I will look in to how far Baltimore is.

The reason why I did not pick Florida for the leaving port is I cannot fly, I get dizzy spells when we go up and it scares the heck out of me...

And with one child in college July was the only month we could all do.

but really Thank you so much for the ideas... I am hoping I will find something maybe waiting closer to departing time I can find a deal..

But if anyone comes across something please let me know.

I have done cruises before we were on Carnival & Princess this was when my kids were younger, but we all remember how much fun they were..

The reason why I did not pick Florida for the leaving port is I cannot fly, I get dizzy spells when we go up and it scares the heck out of me...

I am sure you have thought of all the options and this may not be financialy better, but what about Amtrak to get to different port? No going up and you can get up and move around train if needed...

Prices HAVE gone up unfortunately. I looked at my Ecstasy out of Galveston and the cheapest port hole was $329 for a PT or 4A cabin .. next January off season. (and we are talking about only a 5 day

Maybe you can compromise with a port hole ... mucho cheaper than balcony prices and you can see out for that claustrophobia.

I think prices are going up no matter when you are cruising, might be they are adding oil costs to the price to make up for that rather than adding oil in .. and going up to match other cruiselines more and more.

I live in Connecticut and both are quite a drive :(

Oh well I will keep looking...

Thanks again:)

I hate to do this on a CCL thread, but NCL has a bunch of itineraries out of NY and also BOSTON which would be even closer, they still look cheaper then the prices you quoted. Most of those cruises are either to Bermuda or the Bahamas. Good luck!:)

Look into getting a balcony for two and an inside room (across the hall) for two. Sometimes as cheap or cheaper as 4 in a balcony room and lots more space. You can all hang out on the balcony but have two bathrooms and showers, and some privacy. Also you could look at OV depending on how claustrophobic you get- the windows are big. Keep looking- there are deals out there still- just be sure when you are checking that you are comparing apples to apples- some web sites don't include taxes which makes them look way cheaper. Be sure also to look for discounts- resident fares (is your daughter in college out of state? that might qualify you for a resident discount in another state), anyone over 55? previous cruiser? Military? teacher? Anything you can think of might snag you a discount.

If you go with the Pride, another possible money saving option would be what used to be called a 5A (not sure what it is classified as now with the new rates).

There is no balcony BUT there are two french doors that do open. You have a partially or fully obstructed view...but you get plenty of light.

Here is a picture of 4194 (my favorite cabin) with a partially obstructed view.

It might work and save you the money over having to get a balcony!!

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1344241901070127580KmeWOQ

The french doors DO open....there is just a divider that stops you from going "out the door".

Happy Cruising.

Have you thought about Amtrak. I figure driving a long distance would be difficult for you after recovering (my grandmother had a stroke, unfortunately at 77 and brittle bones, she will not "recover", but I know how hard it can be to get around b/c she had two mini strokes before the last one).

Amtrak is about $100 cheaper than flying (pp), you don't have to pay for luggage and the seating can recline and you can get up and move around too. A lot different than driving, but probably just as long of a trip. That might be a choice for FL.

If you go with the Pride, another possible money saving option would be what used to be called a 5A (not sure what it is classified as now with the new rates).

There is no balcony BUT there are two french doors that do open. You have a partially or fully obstructed view...but you get plenty of light.

Here is a picture of 4194 (my favorite cabin) with a partially obstructed view.

It might work and save you the money over having to get a balcony!!

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1344241901070127580KmeWOQ

The french doors DO open....there is just a divider that stops you from going "out the door".

Happy Cruising.

These are called 4Ks now. I booked a few for some family members on our upcoming cruise.

Which coincidentally is going out of Baltimore in July. We found the baltimore rates much cheaper. Our cruise was priced at $1000 less than NY for the exact same room (quad extended balcony). The only major difference between the two cruises was the NY cruise was 8 days instead of 7, same ports (but worse times for the NY stops).

Hi Ann, we are going out of Baltimore on the pride on 12/26. Your college age child will be on break. We booked a large balcony stateroom 7301 with a large balcony for $4250 for 4 people. The drive to baltimore is not bad at all, we cruised out of New York before and we live in Baltimore. You could also take the train and then a cab to the terminal. Best of luck to you!!

Leaving out of NYC is EXPENSIVE!!!!!! You might be better to fly to Florida, and also JULY is a peak time to vacation!!!! Go in the fall months! WAY cheaper!!!!!! Or early winter months!

I used to feel that way, but flights have gone way up in price as well. I needed tickets several times this year for trips (not cruises) and couldn't believe the horrible rates. On top of that luggage fees. :rolleyes:

It's bad...

Thank you everyone for all your ideas.. I don't think we are going to be able to cruise this year :( I have looked everywhere and even called Carnival and they said they had nothing in my price range.. I still might wait for last min specials; I might get luckily, if not I guess maybe next year..

Thank you for all your help, but July is the only month we can go, and it seems that is the most expensive month ...

Ann

Ann, Welcome to Cruise Critic. You will find a lot of great info here. Unfortunately not anything yet that is working for you. Do you mind stating what your price range is? Maybe we can give some better ideas if we knew that. The previously mentioned idea of the Balcony for 2 of you and inside across the hall for 2 may work. I am assuming your kids would be old enough to be across the hall. Baltimore is about 4 hours from NY area. Further for you in CT, but it would def. be cheaper. Any way you can do the ride there at all? I also think the idea of the obstructed view balcony may work for you and would be cheaper. If you would have tried to book ahead (I booked last may for this coming July) you would have cheaper prices. They have gone up a lot!! You also still may get lucky, like you said, waiting until closer to the sail date. NY is a lot more than most other areas. Not fair to all of us East Coasters.:mad: Either way, Good luck and I hope something will work out for you. Glad to hear you are feeeling well enough to travel.:)

Please don't shoot me but I was looking, hoping, wishing around $3500-$3700 range.

I did go online and it was more to get one with a balcony and one inside cabin, my kids are 19 & 17 and they would of loved that better, but it was more...

And I did look into leaving out of Baltimore and I am coming up to around the same price maybe just a few bucks cheaper..

Thank you!! I am feeling great now, I had the best kind of stroke ( that is what the doctors say) it was in my cerebellum so I lost all coordination and dizzy a lot but I was not paralyzed... The stroke was a few years ago but it took awhile for me to feel comfortable to leave the house..

Oh I did email carinval about the obstructed view I am waiting to her back

Thank you everyone for all your ideas.. I don't think we are going to be able to cruise this year :( I have looked everywhere and even called Carnival and they said they had nothing in my price range.. I still might wait for last min specials; I might get luckily, if not I guess maybe next year..

Thank you for all your help, but July is the only month we can go, and it seems that is the most expensive month ...

Ann

Ann, has anyone going on this trip served in the military? With Carnival, you don't have to be a retiree......just have served with an honorable discharge. Carnival has some good military discounts. Just don't know if they would be available this late for the dates you want.

Archived