Kettles, Irons, and Fire Alarms

Hello,

I have read lots of posts about Kettles and Irons not being allowed in the cabins, but I am yet to find it in the brochure, please tell me where?

It has been said that they set off the fire alarm etc. Can anyone tell me that this has actually happened to them?

I have been on Thomson Destiny, MSC Lirica and Poesia, and my trusty kettle has been at my side for all these trips, (sadly no iron, as I am on holiday and have no intention of ironing anything!) and have not had so much of squeak from the fire alarm! :p

Some cruise lines even provide kettles in their cabins.

Any information gratefully received.

Thanks

Ann.

Hi Ann,

If you have the new cruise brochure it is at the bottom of page 186 on the right side under Safety on Cruises, Cabin Safety.

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn,

Thanks, I stand corrected, but it still does not give a real reason?????

Having said that I suppose you would always get some stupid idiot try to make themselves a cuppa while there is a force 10 howling outside, and end up in first aid!

You really are on the ball today, thanks, I do find that as time is approaching for my cruise I am filled with all sorts of questions and worries, and I am grateful for the help of cruisecritic members such as yourself. I hope you don't think I am a nuisance.

Regards,

Ann.

Hi Ann,

No it's no bother at all. That's why we're all here to help each other. I was probably a right pain when I joined.

No they don't seem to say why we can't have a kettle. Mind you last june on Royal Caribbean both the brochure and the website said no kettles in cabins and when we turned up on board there it was waiting for us. Someone had changed policy in the meantime.

I can't understand why people want to take irons, clothes steamers etc. with them. We're on holiday, leave the housework behind.

Berwyn

I think as they are older ships the generator plant can't take the strain of all those extra megawatts of demand when everyone makes a cuppa.

:D:D You mean like after an excursion and everyone dives off the coaches and dash to the cabins for a decent brew.

Berwyn

:D:D You mean like after an excursion and everyone dives off the coaches and dash to the cabins for a decent brew.

Berwyn

I just head for the Lido self service, for a cuppa. This is the first cruise ship I have been on that did not have Tea/Coffee making facilities in the room, the same as most American ships.

Although I am a tea-a-holic, I can honestly say, not having a kettle in the room, was not something I missed, which surprised me.

Even a simple thing as deoderant set ours off. I got a nice call from the captain which i wasnt expecting asking me if im ok. Naturally i didnt realise and had quite a chat with him asking him how he knew me.

On Destiny we were told even the steam from the shower, if you leave the bathroom door open, can set off the alarm on the bridge. They will then phone your cabin and if they do not get a response will send the fire crew down to investigate!

Carol x

Hi Ann,

No it's no bother at all. That's why we're all here to help each other. I was probably a right pain when I joined.

No they don't seem to say why we can't have a kettle. Mind you last june on Royal Caribbean both the brochure and the website said no kettles in cabins and when we turned up on board there it was waiting for us. Someone had changed policy in the meantime.

I can't understand why people want to take irons, clothes steamers etc. with them. We're on holiday, leave the housework behind.

Berwyn

Morning Berwyn

Is it not a safety issue, as in kettles in rooms etc will have had a safety check carried out on the them where those taken on board by passengers won`t have..?Much the same when you go into hospital,if you wished to take an electrical item in it had to be handed over for a safety check first before its was permitted..Maybe not the case now as everything is virtually provided for you but that was the case years ago

Morning Berwyn

Is it not a safety issue, as in kettles in rooms etc will have had a safety check carried out on the them where those taken on board by passengers won`t have..?Much the same when you go into hospital,if you wished to take an electrical item in it had to be handed over for a safety check first before its was permitted..Maybe not the case now as everything is virtually provided for you but that was the case years ago

Good point there, I forgot about that. Especially if you've had an idiot like me wiring the plug :eek: Curly perm anyone? :D

Good job they nearly all come with fitted plugs there days.

Mind you we do turn a blind eye to the patient's mobile phone chargers where I work. If we had all their stuff checked they'd be in, out and home before the maintenance boys got round to checking them all.

Berwyn

Good point there, I forgot about that. Especially if you've had an idiot like me wiring the plug :eek: Curly perm anyone? :D

Good job they nearly all come with fitted plugs there days.

Mind you we do turn a blind eye to the patient's mobile phone chargers where I work. If we had all their stuff checked they'd be in, out and home before the maintenance boys got round to checking them all.

Berwyn

funny_13.gif

Can someone answer this question?

we are arriving a few days early and was always take our small kettle.

If we take it for the trip, do we have to hand it to the security and get it back at end of cruise or what?

thank you for your response in advance.

If we take it for the trip, do we have to hand it to the security and get it back at end of cruise or what?

I would imagine so.Were doing a weeks stay prior to our cruise and are taking an iron(why I don`t know,wife never uses the one at home :D)and will give it up prior to boarding and collect at the end.

I wouldn't think you would need to relinquish it - Thomson are very good in that respect (they don't even take your alcohol from you - either that bought ashore or onboard) - you just don't use it.

I sent an e-mail to thomsons about the electricals and the drinks package and this was their reply...

PreTravelServices show details 11:57 AM (20 hours ago)

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your email.

1) All cabins on board have hair dryers, however if you want to bring your own the cabins have two types of electrical sockets - American-style 110 volts AC, flat two-pin and the 220-volt round two-pin European. You also can take your own iron and straightners just makes sure you pack the right adaptors.

2) The drinks package includes draught beer, spirits, aperitifs, house wine, soft drinks, and a range of cocktails. Premium drinks as defined onboard ( e.g. champagne, malt whiskies, bottled beers/ ciders, speciality coffees and bottled water) are not included. The drinks are available from all bars, lounges and restaurants.

Kind regards

Amelia Reid

Pre Travel Communications Assistant

Thomson

0844 561 5995

PreTravelServices@thomson.co.uk

Just got back from our first cruise on Island Escape. We took 110V adaptor and travel hair dryer and straighteners. I only got the hairdryer to work on half power, which was useless, and nothing from the straighteners. Couldn't charge my media player either. Is this normal? or could it be a fault with the adaptor as it was only a cheap one.

Jan

Just got back from our first cruise on Island Escape. We took 110V adaptor and travel hair dryer and straighteners. I only got the hairdryer to work on half power, which was useless, and nothing from the straighteners. Couldn't charge my media player either. Is this normal? or could it be a fault with the adaptor as it was only a cheap one.

Jan

Hi Jan, Normally they work O.K. but on a lower power as you found. We've had no problems charging stuff up, like mobiles, video cameras etc.

We've had our adaptors for years and they were only cheap from Argos.

Berwyn

You need to look at the voltage required by each appliance. Some things say "220-240" volts so won't work at all if the supply is only 110. Some things are "universal voltage" and will work at either power. Some things have a button or switch to change between 110 or 240 volts so they will operate on either, but you need to make sure it is set correctly to the current available otherwise it can burn out!

Carol x

You need to look at the voltage required by each appliance. Some things say "220-240" volts so won't work at all if the supply is only 110. Some things are "universal voltage" and will work at either power. Some things have a button or switch to change between 110 or 240 volts so they will operate on either, but you need to make sure it is set correctly to the current available otherwise it can burn out!

Carol x

Thanks Carol and Berwyn

I checked my media player and that's between 110V and 240V so that should have worked. Perhaps I should have left it on longer, it usually shows a battery on screen when it's charging. The only other thing would be to get a power converter rather than an adaptor. I just looked at the Celebration on Thomsons, which we're going on in June, and it says the ship is 110V so same problem there. We're staying in Marmaris for a week after so if we can last out until then we should be ok. I'll just have to go up on deck and let my hair dry 'au natural'.:D

Jan

Thanks Carol and Berwyn

I checked my media player and that's between 110V and 240V so that should have worked. Perhaps I should have left it on longer, it usually shows a battery on screen when it's charging. The only other thing would be to get a power converter rather than an adaptor. I just looked at the Celebration on Thomsons, which we're going on in June, and it says the ship is 110V so same problem there. We're staying in Marmaris for a week after so if we can last out until then we should be ok. I'll just have to go up on deck and let my hair dry 'au natural'.:D

Jan

Hi Jan and Carol

It's weird, but DW blew the circuits in one of the Disneyland hotels in Paris with her travel multi voltage hairdryer :eek:

Funny thing is it's worked fine everywhere else, here and abroad.

They should have a hairdryer for you in the ship. Otherwise you'll have to wash your hair while the ship's at sea and dry it hanging over the side with your hair drying in the breeze as she cruises along. :D

Berwyn

Archived