Kettles, Irons, and Fire Alarms

Hi Jan and Carol

It's weird, but DW blew the circuits in one of the Disneyland hotels in Paris with her travel multi voltage hairdryer :eek:

Funny thing is it's worked fine everywhere else, here and abroad.

They should have a hairdryer for you in the ship. Otherwise you'll have to wash your hair while the ship's at sea and dry it hanging over the side with your hair drying in the breeze as she cruises along. :D

Berwyn

Oh you're a wheeze Berwyn :D:D I don't mind drying my hair out on deck BUT if you think I'm hanging over the side to do it then you're madder than I am, lol :).

Jan

As long as you haven't got hairy palms too, we're OK. :D

I'm lucky I should have been working, but got the night off to use up the last of my Annual leave. So it could have been worse.

Crack open a bottle of wine and we'll get drunk together. DW drank my share when I was in work the other night. I've got to catch up and get in practice for my A.I. on the cruise next month. :D

Just got back from our first cruise on Island Escape. We took 110V adaptor and travel hair dryer and straighteners. I only got the hairdryer to work on half power, which was useless, and nothing from the straighteners. Couldn't charge my media player either. Is this normal? or could it be a fault with the adaptor as it was only a cheap one.

Jan

It is the voltage onboard 110v Your adaptor does not step up voltage to 230v.

If you buy a set of straighteners or a hair dryer look for one that is dual voltage then switch it to 110v remember to switch it back on return or it will burn out in a few secounds :eek:

I am going to take my ipod touch with me , i bought a charger for it .It says on it 100-250 voltz will this be ok?

Should be fine it may just take longer to charge always check voltage on appliances and remember to change the voltage switch back when you return to UK. :)

We stayed in the Hilton at Gatwick and my wife washed her hair then used her dryer it lasted about 40 secs before burning out.:eek:

My fault I know as I should have known that she would get up earlier than me and need to use it instead of the one supplied by the hotel :rolleyes: :D

As long as you haven't got hairy palms too, we're OK. :D

I'm lucky I should have been working, but got the night off to use up the last of my Annual leave. So it could have been worse.

Crack open a bottle of wine and we'll get drunk together. DW drank my share when I was in work the other night. I've got to catch up and get in practice for my A.I. on the cruise next month. :D

Hi Berwyn

I must have been way ahead of you re. the wine. I was polishing off the remains of a nice Rioja we bought in Arrecife for about 3 euros. Yummy :D.

Jan

It is the voltage onboard 110v Your adaptor does not step up voltage to 230v.

If you buy a set of straighteners or a hair dryer look for one that is dual voltage then switch it to 110v remember to switch it back on return or it will burn out in a few secounds :eek:

Thanks for the advice. Got a few weeks to puzzle it out. For i-phone users, I saw a posting on another thread warning people to switch off the internet function when using, OR ELSE!! Big charges.

Jan

Hi Berwyn

I must have been way ahead of you re. the wine. I was polishing off the remains of a nice Rioja we bought in Arrecife for about 3 euros. Yummy :D.

Jan

Yummy, kindred spirits. :D Hic...

I can't stand this new world stuff.

I've got a lovely Merlot/ Pino Grigot from the Venice plain from tesco 3 fpr£10 + 5% off if you buy 6 bottles.

How do you manage to get it home without breaking it now we can't bring more than 100 ml bottles of liquids in hand luggage?

Berwyn

Yummy, kindred spirits. :D Hic...

I can't stand this new world stuff.

I've got a lovely Merlot/ Pino Grigot from the Venice plain from tesco 3 fpr£10 + 5% off if you buy 6 bottles.

How do you manage to get it home without breaking it now we can't bring more than 100 ml bottles of liquids in hand luggage?

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn

Always put the booze in the case. Wrap each bottle in beach towel if taken or fleecy, etc. and stick it in the middle between our 2 sets of clothes. Not had any breakages yet. Less clothes = more wine. Weighs a ton though :D:D.

Jan

Hi Berwyn

Always put the booze in the case. Wrap each bottle in beach towel if taken or fleecy, etc. and stick it in the middle between our 2 sets of clothes. Not had any breakages yet. Less clothes = more wine. Weighs a ton though :D:D.

Jan

Thanks Jan,

t was fine when we could bring it back in hand luggage. Best one we had was a Shearing's coach holiday to Spain. WE could bring loads back, no weight limit :D

Berwyn

Take some sheets of bubble wrap with you, it weighs nothing and can be used to wrap the bottles in to bring them back safely in the middle of the case. Cases aren't weighed on the return flight, they're just taken off the ship as a job lot.

We once bought some rum in St. Maarten in the Caribbean, had to take it out of hand luggage at the airport and put it in the case for the flight back to Paris, then had to take it out of the case and put it in the hand luggage for the flight to Birmingham (this was before the 100mls only rule) then once back at home Paul unpacked it, put it on the dining table and promptly knocked it on to the floor and smashed it...

Carol x

Thanks for the advice. Got a few weeks to puzzle it out. For i-phone users, I saw a posting on another thread warning people to switch off the internet function when using, OR ELSE!! Big charges.

Jan

Thanks for reminding me about phones. I have an ancient and perfectly efficient payg mobile which I think works in France ( it did 2 years ago in Normandy) and I need to work out how to communicate back home from the med/carribean. A couple of 3-4 min calls a week is all I need BUT!!!!!

The cost of a replacement is high, especially with this multi zone thingy you need for the tropics.

It might just be easier to pay the £2.80 per min and use the ships phone.

What do people think? Will my ancient Nokia work in Italy and Spain if it worked in France?

do I need to tell the provider I am abroad or does that only apply to contract phones?

you just need a dual band handset but for some countries a triband. Ring customer services from your mobile - who is your provider it should be free to call them and ask if roaming is activated? it will list the charges for calls/texts made and received abroad on their website. It'll only be about 35p/min in europe - don't use the ships £2.80 a min that's too dear you can buy a brand new pay as you go mobile for tenner in Tesco these days can't you? and add credit as you go with a debit card.

it will be 70p ish to maybe up as high as £1.49 in the carribean it varies by zones but still less than the ship. If you look on the phone companies website you'll finf the costs. when you get to the country your handset automatically picks up the local signal and most times you receive a text telling you what it costs to make calls.

The new handsets even the cheap ones PAYG will work anywhere. You can always buy local SIM cards to put in the phone, most handsets are not locked to a provider these days are they.

Thanks for reminding me about phones. I have an ancient and perfectly efficient payg mobile which I think works in France ( it did 2 years ago in Normandy) and I need to work out how to communicate back home from the med/carribean. A couple of 3-4 min calls a week is all I need BUT!!!!!

The cost of a replacement is high, especially with this multi zone thingy you need for the tropics.

What do people think? Will my ancient Nokia work in Italy and Spain if it worked in France?

do I need to tell the provider I am abroad or does that only apply to contract phones?

Hi Dave,

Dual band is fine for Spain and Italy.

As Grannypops says you only need a fancy triband one for places like USA

You will need to ring your phone provider and ask them to set up International Roaming, but if you've phoned home from France it should already be set up.

The EU have been working to cap phone prices and it's not that expensive to phone home.

Main thing to watch is :

Turn your phone off and back on when you get to port and make sure it's connected to the local network and not through the ship's mast.

And make sure people text you if they want to contact you from home so you don't pay for part of the incoming call.

Berwyn

Hi Dave,

Dual band is fine for Spain and Italy.

As Grannypops says you only need a fancy triband one for places like USA

You will need to ring your phone provider and ask them to set up International Roaming, but if you've phoned home from France it should already be set up.

The EU have been working to cap phone prices and it's not that expensive to phone home.

Main thing to watch is :

Turn your phone off and back on when you get to port and make sure it's connected to the local network and not through the ship's mast.

And make sure people text you if they want to contact you from home so you don't pay for part of the incoming call.

Berwyn

I don't know if anyone can help with this one???? We have a triband payg phone set up with Orange....it worked everywhere except Israel....when we came home I checked on the Orange website and it should have worked there according to their chart. We have found the staff if the Orange shops not to be particularly knowledgeable about this subject !!!!

I don't know if anyone can help with this one???? We have a triband payg phone set up with Orange....it worked everywhere except Israel....when we came home I checked on the Orange website and it should have worked there according to their chart. We have found the staff if the Orange shops not to be particularly knowledgeable about this subject !!!!

Hi Jenny,

According to the charts there is no reason why it shouldn't have worked. A standard dual band phone would be enough.

Berwyn

Hi Jan and Carol

It's weird, but DW blew the circuits in one of the Disneyland hotels in Paris with her travel multi voltage hairdryer :eek:

Funny thing is it's worked fine everywhere else, here and abroad.

They should have a hairdryer for you in the ship. Otherwise you'll have to wash your hair while the ship's at sea and dry it hanging over the side with your hair drying in the breeze as she cruises along. :D

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn

Sorry Berwyn, I thought you were being cryptic when you replied to my thread on 5 things you wish you'd have known on your first cruise.:o Oops! too late I realised you weren't. :)

Jan

Hi Berwyn

Sorry Berwyn, I thought you were being cryptic when you replied to my thread on 5 things you wish you'd have known on your first cruise.:o Oops! too late I realised you weren't. :)

Jan

Hi Jan,

I wandered down to the customer services desk on the 1st evening and they were all there having brought round pin European adaptors instead of the flat pin ones.

Berwyn

Were they for sale at customer services or hiring?

Jan

no they just handed out the ship's hairdryers for them to use. I didn't see if they had adaptors knocking about to hand out. As it was such a big queue, once I worked out what was going on I got out of the way as what I wanted wasn't urgent.

As we'd sailed on the Escape before it was my 1st job, get down there for a hairdryer for DW.

Perhaps they'll put them in the cabins after refurbishing at the end of the year.

Berwyn

Archived