The good old days of air travel ...

Cuizer2

jauqsn.jpg

This was advertising BA's sale fares in 1974.

£371 to Australia in 1974 money = about £3,000 today. But today's fares have recently been as low as £369 in today's money, and can generally be relied on to start from the £600 region.

£75 to the US in 1974 money = about £600 today. But today you can reliably fly to the US for about £300 in today's money, and not so long ago reliably for about £200.

The real marvel is that air travel is faster, more convenient and safer than it was then. Most of the hassle is the result of the pressure of numbers; we wouldn't even notice the increased security requirements if security processed as few passengers as it did then. But inevitably, if you pay a pittance of a fare, something's going to give.

Apologies for the injection of some facts. Now back to our regularly-scheduled programming.

Thank you for injecting a note of sanity to this thread. I often get the feeling that people expect large seats, great food, free baggage, and complete security for almost nothing. I remember when the coach service was much better than it is now, but it cost the same as now, or usually more, in unadjusted dollars.

Adding to Globaliser and others' comments....there are quite a few airlines that have offered comfy seats, good food, no added fees, etc. at a higher but reasonable fare. Several examples are Legend and EOS. None of them survived more than a few years. When a premium product is offered, the flying public goes for the low, low fares.

One of the perks of hubby being a frequest flyer with Delta is that we get TWO bags EACH free. That would be 6 free bags for the 3 of us....I can actually PACK !!!

One of the perks of hubby being a frequest flyer with Delta is that we get TWO bags EACH free. That would be 6 free bags for the 3 of us....I can actually PACK !!!

Not just 2 bags, but two bags at 70 pounds each. If upgraded to F, that increases to THREE at 70 pounds.

And yes....I don't pack light.

Not just 2 bags, but two bags at 70 pounds each. If upgraded to F, that increases to THREE at 70 pounds.

And yes....I don't pack light.

Such perks do not come at a cheap price and are unavailable to most fliers. Of course anyone could purchase a plane and take 50 suitcases and a small elephant at no additional charge.

SW doesn't care if you are a first time flier or if you have flown a zillion miles - your first two bags fly free. SW fees for overweight and/or extra bags, even pets are significantly lower than the legacy, good old boys airlines.

In the good old days, SW baggage allowance was 3 bags @ 70 pounds.

Today, 5 bags @ 70 pounds on SW would cost an extra $350 - outrageous until one looks at Delta...

On Domestic Delta flights (apples to apples) only $1030???? and even more if you use curbside check-in or fail to check-in online and prepay the King's ransom. And that wasn't including the cat.

Oh for the good old days before the Internet and before companies were too big to fail.

Archived