Cruise Confidential bogus?

jmcdon7230

As a former cruise ship employee, I will admit, there is a lot of sex and partying. There are also long hours, little time off, and strict rules for the crew. Lots of training classes, cruddy food in the crew mess, cramped living conditions, but an adventure of a lifetime!

Just read it on my Kindle after seeing Brian on 20/20. I must say, those who are "shocked" by the sex and partying must have never been to college! I expected a lot worse after reading this thread. And I was pretty impressed that Brian stayed faithful to Bianca the whole time!

The book definately gave me a new appreciation for the crew and I'll likely be tipping even more on our next cruise.

• 1 year later...

I enjoyed the book. Then again I didn't read it for anything other than amusement. I've actually read quite a few books by former crew members about their experiences working in the cruise industry. I especially liked the one by...I want to say his name is Ben MacFarlane, a former Doctor on a cruise ship which does worldies. Its amazing some of the medical emergencies and whatnot that the medical staff sees.

Even if an old thread I enjoyed reading it (missed it in 2010 because I was pretty loyal to RCI then) and also enjoyed the comments by Mr. Bruns. I see now there are two more sequels for people to love or hate. Ship for Brains and The Unsinkable Mister Brown. I enjoyed the first one enough to maybe download those on my Nook.

Another similar book was The Truth About Cruise Ships by Jay Herring. If reading of Cruise Confidential felt it was too racey I would strongly caution against this one. I read it mostly becuase the author was doing IT support for the ship but sadly it lacked info about ship systems.

I thought it was more of a "vanity" book and more fiction than fact. It was a disappointing read for me, but I did make the effort and finish it. As someone else said it's "fluff".

Not really worth the time or $$$, but how could any cruiser resist?

Archived