Cruise Confidential bogus?

jmcdon7230

I'm about three quarters of the way through Cruise Confidential and I'm having a difficult time getting to the finish line. Has any other veteran cruiser found it to be unbelievably exaggerated?

I've been in "crew" bars on various islands and although there is drinking and "frolicking" going on, it is nowhere near the decadent scene that is portrayed in the book.

Also near the beginning of the book one of the crew members expresses surprise that her co worker (the author) is an American. She insists that he is German. They are on duty at the time in the dining room. Why didn't she just take a look at his name tag? It would have stated "USA" on it. I've never seen a crew member working in a dining room without a name tag. It's just one of many inconsistencies in the book.

It reads as if the publisher insisted that he juice it up with sex in order to sell it.

I was expecting behind the scenes insights, but I find it very disappointing.

I'm about three quarters of the way through Cruise Confidential and I'm having a difficult time getting to the finish line. Has any other veteran cruiser found it to be unbelievably exaggerated?

I've been in "crew" bars on various islands and although there is drinking and "frolicking" going on, it is nowhere near the decadent scene that is portrayed in the book.

Also near the beginning of the book one of the crew members expresses surprise that her co worker (the author) is an American. She insists that he is German. They are on duty at the time in the dining room. Why didn't she just take a look at his name tag? It would have stated "USA" on it. I've never seen a crew member working in a dining room without a name tag. It's just one of many inconsistencies in the book.

It reads as if the publisher insisted that he juice it up with sex in order to sell it.

I haven't read it, but I never totally believe those types of books. I think, if for no the other reason than to keep things interesting most are exagerated..or, maybe the author sees things a little differently than others might under similar situations.

Nita

I read a few pages of it in the bookstore and put it back. Not the aspect of cruising I'm really that interested in.

Then again, it's not really a factual 'day-in-the-life-of' book. It was probably pitched as "National Enquirer takes a Cruise."

The book still has some insights you will be in the dining room watching for certain items from the book and find some truth.

There is another being written by the same author right now and it will hopefully answer some of the questions left hanging.

After having read the book (while on a cruise) I did notice things that I had never paid attention to before especially in the dining room amoung the waiters. I thought it was a romp, what I expected.

Crew life is closer to college dorm life then the Mardi Gras madness portrayed in the book, which I also recently read. Should the crew indulge in 1/2 the drunken escapades in the book they would probably no longer be working for the cruise line.

It is a very different lifestyle than most of us live. It's fun, interesting, and exciting, but it's also stressful, crazy, even lonely and depressing.

As with most books - some interesting info but it's one persons opinion and experience.

If you are interested in a reply from the author (who happened to be virtually wandering by), I am happy to provide it. Regarding your reference to 'crew bars' on islands; they are not crew bars. I am not referring to where crew members hang out while off the ship, but in the bowels of the cruise liner itself. Very, very different. They have changed radically in the last five years as well, for the record. They are now non-smoking, for example. And my co-worker who 'insisted' I was German, as you put it, merely met me for the first time in my cabin on the day I arrived on Fantasy. I was not in uniform. If these are the types of inconsistencies you seem to encounter, I think it is a matter of perception.

If you are interested in a reply from the author (who happened to be virtually wandering by), I am happy to provide it. Regarding your reference to 'crew bars' on islands; they are not crew bars. I am not referring to where crew members hang out while off the ship, but in the bowels of the cruise liner itself. Very, very different. They have changed radically in the last five years as well, for the record. They are now non-smoking, for example. And my co-worker who 'insisted' I was German, as you put it, merely met me for the first time in my cabin on the day I arrived on Fantasy. I was not in uniform. If these are the types of inconsistencies you seem to encounter, I think it is a matter of perception.

Thanks for the book, Brian. I read it and enjoyed it.

TP

I have not read the book however I have been to 5 crew parties in the bowels of the ship, it is amazing and fun and they really cut loose, I might have to read the book sometime. It is like a family they live in tight quarters often 4 to 5 in a room and alot of romances occur. There is a bar dance floor and alot of fun usually the party is the second to last night of the cruise or the last night. I will never tell what I have learned;)

I read the book last year going on my first solo cruise on the Fantasy. I loved the book!!! I can't wait to read the next one. I would love to meet the author and hear more! Crusing is my passion, I have been on six and have three more booked! Thanks Brian...you rock!!!

Thank you for you reply.

I realize a crew bar on the ship is different from a bar where the crew congregates in a port. I, since it's the only one I have access to, was referring to a port bar....and my perception was from the crew's behavior in the port bars; which to my eye seemed far tamer than what you described on board ship. You described drunken crew while in port....I've never observed that.

In the book (pages 173 to 175) you write that Camilla and yourself were working in the Renoir dining room of the Conquest, when Camilla questioned your nationality. You would have been wearing your uniform and name tag when this occurred. This is not "perception", it's just reading the words you wrote.

The book could have also done without the list of "stupid questions" on page 370. Half of them have been lame joke CD fodder for many years. "What time is the midnight buffet? Does the crew sleep on the ship? Who's driving the ship if the captain is at the party? etc. To state that you were asked all these twenty five questions in the brief time you worked on board seems to be a stretch. It just adds to the "bogus" theory.

On the positive side, I did pay full price for the book on Amazon and I read it all the way through. I just think it could have been better if more emphasis had been placed on character development. I suspect your editors advised you to spice up the material....especially in the opening chapter.

Good luck on your next book and I hope everything worked out with Bianca.

T

I did pay full price for the book on Amazon and I read it all the way through. I just think it could have been better if more emphasis had been placed on character development. I suspect your editors advised you to spice up the material....especially in the opening chapter.

you know its a matter of perception too. You are entitled to your opinion of the book and you have some complaints but Amazon is a discount book seller so you didn't pay full price...a matter of perception too.

Thank you for you reply.

I realize a crew bar on the ship is different from a bar where the crew congregates in a port. I, since it's the only one I have access to, was referring to a port bar....and my perception was from the crew's behavior in the port bars; which to my eye seemed far tamer than what you described on board ship. You described drunken crew while in port....I've never observed that.

Hmmmmmm, there are many things I've never observed but they did indeed happen.;)

In the book (pages 173 to 175) you write that Camilla and yourself were working in the Renoir dining room of the Conquest, when Camilla questioned your nationality. You would have been wearing your uniform and name tag when this occurred. This is not "perception", it's just reading the words you wrote.

The book could have also done without the list of "stupid questions" on page 370. Half of them have been lame joke CD fodder for many years. "What time is the midnight buffet? Does the crew sleep on the ship? Who's driving the ship if the captain is at the party? etc. To state that you were asked all these twenty five questions in the brief time you worked on board seems to be a stretch. It just adds to the "bogus" theory.

On the positive side, I did pay full price for the book on Amazon and I read it all the way through. I just think it could have been better if more emphasis had been placed on character development. I suspect your editors advised you to spice up the material....especially in the opening chapter.

Character development? It wasn't a novel. I guess Mr.Bruns need to submit his next manuscript to you for your critique and approval.:p:D

Loved the book. What is the name of your new book?

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, thanks for writing and sharing with us. Looking forward to any sequel. Will be on the Elation in May and will definitely be looking to see what goes on in the dining room

you know its a matter of perception too. You are entitled to your opinion of the book and you have some complaints but Amazon is a discount book seller so you didn't pay full price...a matter of perception too.

I perceived that I payed full price at Amazon where it could be bought used for much less.

Character development? It wasn't a novel. I guess Mr.Bruns need to submit his next manuscript to you for your critique and approval.:p:D

Apparently you haven't read it. It's presented as non-fiction but is written as a novel....full of word for word conversations and make believe situations.

I read the book about two weeks ago, and while I have never been on a cruise, I did find it very interesting, and gave me an insight into their lives (not to mention how to order food--no appetizers during the main course!)

Archived