Cruise Confidential bogus?

jmcdon7230

Apparently you haven't read it. It's presented as non-fiction but is written as a novel....full of word for word conversations and make believe situations.

WRONG....read it last Aug.:p

If we go on your premise, I'm not sure anything can be considered non-fiction.:D

Novel:

"a fictitious prose narrative of considerable length and complexity, portraying characters and usually presenting a sequential organization of action and scenes."

I really disliked the book & found it to be not believable. I put the book down & never picked it up again, & then tossed it.

How did you toss it if you never picked it up again?

Thank you for you reply.

I realize a crew bar on the ship is different from a bar where the crew congregates in a port. I, since it's the only one I have access to, was referring to a port bar....and my perception was from the crew's behavior in the port bars; which to my eye seemed far tamer than what you described on board ship. You described drunken crew while in port....I've never observed that.

The book could have also done without the list of "stupid questions" on page 370. Half of them have been lame joke CD fodder for many years. "What time is the midnight buffet? Does the crew sleep on the ship? Who's driving the ship if the captain is at the party? etc. To state that you were asked all these twenty five questions in the brief time you worked on board seems to be a stretch. It just adds to the "bogus" theory.

I have seen drunken crew members in port aswell as young crew members telling teenagers about the sex that goes on between the crew and guests! And that last part was on the ship. Also seeing the crew discuss their sex lives on a tender boat to shore!

And not to mention hearing some guests ask those "stupid questions" and they were not joking.

How eerie to come across this thread. I finished Mr. Bruns' book about two weeks ago. It was my reading when I took my dogs to the dog park.

I had been looking for some kind of behind-the-scenes (back-of-house) commentary for some time. While some storylines were undoubtedly "juiced", I still found it revealing. I was particularly interested in what those who come from the other side of the world, whose only experience with Americans might be catering and kotowing to us on a cruise ship: what do they really think of us. I got a flavor of that. The whole vignette about the Roundel's (sp?) I hope was a caricature though. I mean, rolling into the dining room on their scooters and pounding the table for their food? Ouch.

I read the first chapter then stopped. Some stuff is true but a lot of it is not really.

Thanks you would know better than the rest of us, I would have figured the author intended to make money so stuck things in that would keep people reading. I would believe what you are saying more than what he wrote. Not, that there is anything wrong with him making money as a writter as long as people realize it is a combination of fact and fiction.

Nita

I suggested to DS that he read it when he was home on vacation. But after I told him about some of the stories in it he opted not to read it. He felt it depends on each ship and the crew. Some are more crazy than others, some have more drama, but most are like living a college dorm lifestyle with a job.

Thanks you would know better than the rest of us, I would have figured the author intended to make money so stuck things in that would keep people reading. I would believe what you are saying more than what he wrote. Not, that there is anything wrong with him making money as a writter as long as people realize it is a combination of fact and fiction.

Nita

Actually, I didn't embellish any of the randiness. My publishers never asked me to juice up anything, nor did I have to. Yes, sex sells and there is a ready market for sex and booze stories. That doesn't mean it didn't happen. Remember, too, that nowhere else in the world do people have nearly as much personal space as in America. Sex with others nearby is normal. We tend to be very conservative about such things in the States.

Lots of folks think I'm making it all up, and that's fine. My parents think so, because they can't imagine their 'boy scout' being anywhere near such things. But for the record, I did not embellish anything. Even the 'cheesy Hollywood-style ending' I get grief over happened exactly as I said it. Some people think I'm a romantic, but most just think I'm stupid. I just hope people get a laugh and a taste of a life they would otherwise have no access to.

Dang now I am going to have to go get this book, I have been on over 37 cruises and have gone to a few ok more than a few crew parties in the bowels of the ship, they were so much fun and a whole different life than the passengers see. I should be in that damn book, lol oops sorry disregard

...... But for the record, I did not embellish anything......

Are you saying you did not embellish ANYTHING in the book? Or are you referring to just the sex scenes?

You've already admitted to embellishing this part:

Originally Posted by LoveBruns viewpost.gif

..... And my co-worker who 'insisted' I was German, as you put it, merely met me for the first time in my cabin on the day I arrived on Fantasy. I was not in uniform. If these are the types of inconsistencies you seem to encounter, I think it is a matter of perception.

In the book (pages 173 to 175) you write that Camilla and yourself were working in the Renoir dining room of the Conquest, when Camilla questioned your nationality. You would have been wearing your uniform and name tag when this occurred.

Also, did you "embellish" the "list of stupid questions" on page 370?

Would you recommend that bookstores stock the book in the fiction or nonfiction section?

Are you saying you did not embellish ANYTHING in the book? Or are you referring to just the sex scenes?

You've already admitted to embellishing this part:

Originally Posted by LoveBruns viewpost.gif

..... And my co-worker who 'insisted' I was German, as you put it, merely met me for the first time in my cabin on the day I arrived on Fantasy. I was not in uniform. If these are the types of inconsistencies you seem to encounter, I think it is a matter of perception.

In the book (pages 173 to 175) you write that Camilla and yourself were working in the Renoir dining room of the Conquest, when Camilla questioned your nationality. You would have been wearing your uniform and name tag when this occurred.

Also, did you "embellish" the "list of stupid questions" on page 370?

Would you recommend that bookstores stock the book in the fiction or nonfiction section?

Listen dude,

I myself have hear a lot of those "stupid questions" onboard so I know hes not making that up.

Kinda of like at Disneyland when people ask the cast members "What time does the 12:00 parade start?"

I read the first few chapters. The conversations are in quotes, but how can one remember word for word how conversations went? There has to be some embellishment.

It was a bit raunchy for my taste. I'm returning it to the library this week as I don't want my daughter picking it up.

With that said, it takes talent to write a book so I can appreciate all the work that went into it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian,

Just finished reading your book today. Took me about 2 weeks as I work a lot. Perhaps I enjoyed it more that way, rather than rushing through it in a day or two. Sorry you had such a hard time. When it seemed like you were about to starve to death and things couldn't get worse, they did! I felt so bad for you, but proud of you for your convictions. Have to admit you had me laughing out loud somewhere near the end. And I totally believe the last scene with you and Bianca. I've been in and out of the entertainment business for a few decades, and I know sometimes life can imitate the silver screen ;). I also believe that luck does play a big part in our lives. Either that or we actually do have guardian angels that watch over us and guide us when we need it most.

Waiting impatiently for your escapades as an art dealer.

Best wishes to you,

Lynn

Personally, I got a bit bored with the book. Certain things I did find interesting - mainly those pertaining to the dining room, such as each waiter having to keep tabs on his supplies or else being left without necessary serving pieces, or even how guests ordering can affect the waiters whole service for that evening.

I was able to get my library to borrow it from another library. For those that don't want to buy it (or any book for that matter), if your library doesn't carry it, ask your library staff if they can do that for you. It's a common service in the area where I live...and a wonderful one at that!

I'm about three quarters of the way through Cruise Confidential and I'm having a difficult time getting to the finish line. Has any other veteran cruiser found it to be unbelievably exaggerated?

I've been in "crew" bars on various islands and although there is drinking and "frolicking" going on, it is nowhere near the decadent scene that is portrayed in the book.

Also near the beginning of the book one of the crew members expresses surprise that her co worker (the author) is an American. She insists that he is German. They are on duty at the time in the dining room. Why didn't she just take a look at his name tag? It would have stated "USA" on it. I've never seen a crew member working in a dining room without a name tag. It's just one of many inconsistencies in the book.

It reads as if the publisher insisted that he juice it up with sex in order to sell it.

I was expecting behind the scenes insights, but I find it very disappointing.

I bought it used for 3 bucks and thought it was a waste of good money. I agree with your observations. Real behind the scenes insights would have made it much better.

Actually, I didn't embellish any of the randiness. My publishers never asked me to juice up anything, nor did I have to. Yes, sex sells and there is a ready market for sex and booze stories. That doesn't mean it didn't happen. Remember, too, that nowhere else in the world do people have nearly as much personal space as in America. Sex with others nearby is normal. We tend to be very conservative about such things in the States.

Lots of folks think I'm making it all up, and that's fine. My parents think so, because they can't imagine their 'boy scout' being anywhere near such things. But for the record, I did not embellish anything. Even the 'cheesy Hollywood-style ending' I get grief over happened exactly as I said it. Some people think I'm a romantic, but most just think I'm stupid. I just hope people get a laugh and a taste of a life they would otherwise have no access to.

Brian, loved the book. Yes, there were times that I thought some episodes were unbelievable but I also had experiences in life that if I wasn't there to experience it, I would never have believed it could happen. Your book points out that the working conditions on a ship would not fly in many american businesses.

Looking forward to your next book.

• 3 weeks later...
I read the first chapter then stopped. Some stuff is true but a lot of it is not really.

But OMG that ship you work on is HIDEOUS. Whats with NCL lately and these ugly boxy garish looking ships? That new 'EPIC' is the most hideous ship i've ever seen. After the PRIDE OF AMERICA.

Yuk.

But OMG that ship you work on is HIDEOUS. Whats with NCL lately and these ugly boxy garish looking ships? That new 'EPIC' is the most hideous ship i've ever seen. After the PRIDE OF AMERICA.

Yuk.

Thank you for giving us your wonderful insights with your first post here. :rolleyes:

PE

• 1 month later...

My husband worked for and traveled with Barnum and Bailey for two years, and after hearing his stories, I believe every word this man wrote. I keep telling my DH that he should write a book but he says nobody would believe him and, if they did, he'd get sued.

Archived