Speak to me of ribs . . . bbq ribs

WayTooCool

I had barbeque ribs at dinner in the MDR on the first night of these cruises: 1/8/09 Freedom, 10/3/03 Dream, 2/21/10 Splendor. In fact, this is one of my new cruise traditions and I'll be disappointed if they don't have them on the first night of our 8/24/10 Spirit cruise!

I'm seriously a rib lover -- they ain't such a thang as a bad rib! What do you think of the ribs on the boat? They keep calling my name . . . . must have ribs . . . ribs . . . gimme !!!!

I also love ribs, they may be not the best I've had but they were good,

definitely worth it.

Last year, I had the Fork Tender Baby Back Ribs on the Glory and was in HEAVEN! Yum! They were seriously fork tender, fall-off-the-bone, my-fingers-never-had-to-touch-a-one delicious! They were served twice in the MDR at dinner - the first night, and one other evening. They were also served at lunch in the MDR on our second sea day.

I've heard ugly rumors that the fork tender baby backs were replaced by some other ribs, but I'm hoping that rumor is false.

I loved them and they are so tender that they fall off the bone. Not gooey with sauce either. You have to get them early on as most ships run a 9-day menu of sorts and they will have them the first day or two and then they won't unless you are on a 10-14 day cruise.

I teased my waiter on the Dream and told him to "go shopping" when we came to every port. He checked every night and sure enough, on the 10th day they started a repeat and I got them again.

Being from the south, I, too, am a serious rib lover and I've had the ribs on Carnival numerous times. In my opinion, they can go from unedible to good, but nothing I get too excited over and nowhere near what you get in southern rib houses.

Like I said, just my opinion.

If ribs fall off the bone they are over cooked. It is not a good thing for them to fall apart while picking them up. They should stay on the bone and be tender and moist, but not fall off and be eaten with a fork.

If they fall off the bone they are over cooked and most likely have been boiled or steamed and not grilled or smoked.

I won't order them again, but I am from Memphis,

a place that has lots of good rib joints.

IMO, the worst ribs I have had around

here were better than the ones on Carnival.

Wish I had me some of them Rendevous Ribs right now!

If ribs fall off the bone they are over cooked. It is not a good thing for them to fall apart while picking them up. They should stay on the bone and be tender and moist, but not fall off and be eaten with a fork.

If they fall off the bone they are over cooked and most likely have been boiled or steamed and not grilled or smoked.

I have had them a number of times and they are deffinately steamed or boiled and then slapped with sauce. There is no smoky or grill taste in the meat as you would expect from a southern rib or Mid west rib. They are good for cruise food but wouldn't win any rib contests.

Wish I had me some of them Rendevous Ribs right now!

Cozy Corner or Corky's or even Paynes would suit me just fine:)

I haven't had the ribs on the Carnival Dream Lanai deck lunch yet, but I thought the ones in the MDR were short ribs. :confused:

Being from the south, I, too, am a serious rib lover and I've had the ribs on Carnival numerous times. In my opinion, they can go from unedible to good, but nothing I get too excited over and nowhere near what you get in southern rib houses.

Like I said, just my opinion.

Not being from the South, but having several fantastic barbeque joints in the neighborhood, I agree. The sauce covers the fact that they are boiled and then fired, as opposed to smoked good and proper.

I agree with both of these:

I have had them a number of times and they are deffinately steamed or boiled and then slapped with sauce. There is no smoky or grill taste in the meat as you would expect from a southern rib or Mid west rib. They are good for cruise food but wouldn't win any rib contests.

I thought they were acceptable but I would not order them a second time if there was something more interesting on the menu.

I'd say thay are like what you might find at an Applebee's or a Chili's or a TGI Fridays. Somewhere between edible and pretty good, depending on your taste.

I can't really imagine how you could genuinely grill (over wood or charcoal or an open flame) or smoke something in a cruise ship kitchen .... isn't a fire one of the most deadly accidents a ship can have?

I love ribs [st Louis] and Carnival's ribs make a very nice dinner. But comparing them to a really good rib joint on land is like comparing Mom's home cookin' to a TV dinner!

The ribs are good, but they're not old time rib joint good.

Archived