Speak to me of ribs . . . bbq ribs

WayTooCool

I had them for the first time on the Freedom on my New Year's Cruise:D. I usually don't get ribs when I go out to eat because my wife makes the best ribs around. Have to admit they were pretty good, not as good as my wife's but good. I'll try them again this summer when we cruise again.:)

The ribs are good but very messy. I wish Carnival would provide some paper napkins to swipe your hands. It's a shame to wipe all that sauce on a fabric napkin...kind of embarrassing.:p

Scrape some of the sauce off with your fork. Or ... eat with your fork. (Feels wrong, I know.)

The ribs are good but very messy. I wish Carnival would provide some paper napkins to swipe your hands. It's a shame to wipe all that sauce on a fabric napkin...kind of embarrassing.:p

Iffn ya doan rub it all over yer body, ya ain't eatin' ribs!!!:eek::D

I didn't think the ribs were very good at all. They were tough and didn't come off the bone easily. Honestly, I didn't think much of anything on the ship was very good. Some things were okay and some were just plain lousy. I think the best food that we had was from the Indian buffet that was always empty. People really didn't know what they were missing. I think the worst thing I had on the ship was the flat iron steak. It tasted liked it came out of a can. Dreadful stuff.

One of my favorite cruise traditions: ribs for the first dinner in the MDR!

Me too! My whole first day on board is tradition (or habit) filled. From the Reuben for lunch, several Funship specials to the ribs in the dining room.

I'm seriously a rib lover -- they ain't such a thang as a bad rib! What do you think of the ribs on the boat? They keep calling my name . . . . must have ribs . . . ribs . . . gimme !!!!

Been on 10 Carnival cruises and I just discovered them on the last three. There always on the first day so they can be easily missed.

I can't really imagine how you could genuinely grill (over wood or charcoal or an open flame) or smoke something in a cruise ship kitchen .... isn't a fire one of the most deadly accidents a ship can have?

Well, I've used some of those flameless smokers for Boston butts and such, I'm sure Carnival could at least TRY smoking ribs with a similar system. I think the reason they don't is not because of the risk of fire but because they don't want to pay the high bar prices for some beer to soak the hickory chips in! :eek::D:p

Does NOLA do good ribs? Staying a day or two pre-cruise and we LOVE ribs.

You'll never guess where we got wonderful ribs there . . . . TGI Friday's in the French Quarter. No kidding! I bet ifyou Google New Orleans restaurants you'd come up with some great spots -- Mother's on Poydress was another fave (not for ribs, just good reasonable food).

I won't order them again, but I am from Memphis,

a place that has lots of good rib joints.

IMO, the worst ribs I have had around

here were better than the ones on Carnival.

Speak! Speak!

That was like a few years back I was out west and my friend and her friends were just raving about Tony Romo's.

Let's just say living around so many great rib places and growing up with family that bbq year round (including in the winter!!) and knowing great ribs made me gag on Tony Romo's ribs. I was like "You call this good??".

I've found very few spots outside the south or Texas with good ribs. I will try the ribs on the Triumph,but not look for the same standard as Memphis ribs.

Speak! Speak!

That was like a few years back I was out west and my friend and her friends were just raving about Tony Romo's.

Let's just say living around so many great rib places and growing up with family that bbq year round (including in the winter!!) and knowing great ribs made me gag on Tony Romo's ribs. I was like "You call this good??".

I've found very few spots outside the south or Texas with good ribs. I will try the ribs on the Triumph,but not look for the same standard as Memphis ribs.

It's all a matter of personal taste and what you're used to eating. We went to Memphis a few years ago and I made it a point to eat at some of their famous rib joints. We ate at 3 of them and the whole family agreed that none of them were as good as the rib joints we have at home in Indianapolis, or even as good as the ribs I make at home. But these places in Memphis are considered some of the best in the country. We even have a "Rib Fest" here which attracts "BBQ Pitt Masters" and their famous ribs. None that we sampled were as good as what we were use to eating.

BTW, I also know people who call Tony Roma's a "Great Rib Joint".

The ribs on board are really good. They should never be thought of in the same light as ribs from Memphis, KC, Texas or even here in Oklahoma. Think of Carnival's ribs as you would Chili's or the like. I really like them as an alternative to the flat iron steak on the first night.

I'm seriously a rib lover -- they ain't such a thang as a bad rib! What do you think of the ribs on the boat? They keep calling my name . . . . must have ribs . . . ribs . . . gimme !!!!

The ribs on the first night on the Valor were pretty good. Very tender and they came off the bone like they were never attached.

Archived