Single Parents on Disney Magic

ninefishes

I just booked the Disney Magic Transatlantic Sept 18, 10. Can anyone tell me if this ship is single-parent friendly? I'll travel with my 9 year old daughter, and this will be our first sailing. We've travelled together quite a bit before, but never a cruise. So we both are very excited. I've read lots of postings at the Message Boards, and they are very helpful. But most are about family travel (I mean the two parents family). I woner if anyone of you here has ever traveled as a single Mom or Dad on DCL. I appreciate any input you will advise me on this subject. :confused:

I have cruised many times with single parents and their kids. They seemed to have a great time. They were always busy doing something fun.

there are lots of family events in Studio Sea to do together and lots for her to do in the clubs so you can have some relaxing adult time too.

My suggestion would be to join a roll call thread for your cruise. Once you get aquainted you can find new friends to hang out with some times.

You can link up dinner reservations with someone on your cruise too so you sit with someone you have already met on line.

Cruise critic has a nice group of people posting on the roll call for this cruise and they even have a meet scheduled so they can get aquainted in person the 2nd day on the ship. I know this because we were going on the same cruise until last week until we had to cancel.:(

Please go there to get aquainted and tell them Kathy sent you.;)

Janice is a single mom who has a son and she posts there too. Not real often but as the cruise gets closer I am sure she will post more. So your not the only one. I am sure more will post when the cruise is closer.

There are several couples with no kids there too. They are always looking for someone to chat with.

Have a magical cruise!!

Kathy

Make sure you have the proper documents. There are sometimes special requirements for kids traveling out of country with only one parent. Find out what Disney wants in writing and take those items with you along with the document explaining what is needed....

Thank you, Kathy! Your email cheers me up. I think most of the time it depends on my own attitude: If I can see the whole thing in a positive way, then it's positive. :o I definitely will go join the roll call and tell them you sent me. Sorry that you can't go, I hope everything is going well with you.

Thank you, Don. I have sole custody and shared guardianship. My lawyer told me that I don't need a consent letter from her father, but I'm still a bit worrying how if the Immigration get picky on the "shared guardianship"? I guess I'll still ask him to give me a notarised letter, just in case...

Again, thank you for the quick posts, I look forward to meeting you guys on a crusie one day!

I haven't been on Magic, but I did take my son on the Wonder for a three night cruise, and I am a single parent. We had a fabulous time. My son was 11, and he loves cruising. I was a little unsure how it would be, just the two of us, but it was actually pretty perfect, and we have since done a longer 6 night cruise on Carnival, just the two of us, which was equally great.

I have found the Disney ships to be extremely single-parent friendly. Every day my son will pick which of the kids activities he wants to participate in, usually lasting around an hour between breakfast and lunch, a couple hours between lunch and dinner, and all late night events. While he is at those, I like to hang out in the adult pool area, or at night, one of the adult clubs. I usually have a good book with me to read at all times, but often there will be other people or Disney crew to talk to.

The rest of the time we spend together - meals, shows, swimming, ping pong, arcade, pirate party, port days (except Nassau, which we treat like a sea day and stay on board). If the timing works, try to fit in some bingo sessions - these are great fun to do together and they usually give out some free goodies. Disney does the best family bingo. Also, sometimes they will lay out board games in one of the gathering areas during the afternoon. Your daughter might like the family karaoke, which is all Disney songs (making it more girl friendly than boy friendly, since many Disney songs are sung by Princesses or Hannah Montana :p).

Have a great time! I'm jealous, wish I could go too! :D

It's true that you don't need the letter of consent from the other parent, but its definitely recommended. When my husband and I brought his children on the Magic, we got a note from his ex-wife that she was aware of and had okayed the trip. This prevented her from playing any games with us, such as claiming we were fleeing the country with her kids and getting us stopped at the port. It's sad that you have to worry about those kind of things, but some exes make it necessary.

It's true that you don't need the letter of consent from the other parent, but its definitely recommended. When my husband and I brought his children on the Magic, we got a note from his ex-wife that she was aware of and had okayed the trip. This prevented her from playing any games with us, such as claiming we were fleeing the country with her kids and getting us stopped at the port. It's sad that you have to worry about those kind of things, but some exes make it necessary.

The note from your husband's ex-wife, was it notarised?

Google "permission to travel letter for minors" and you'll be able to find a few form letters. I believe we had her notarize it, as we've done the same for her on trips with the kids to Canada. But my husband works at a town hall, so notaries are easy to come by. :)

I am glad to see this. I'm thinking of taking my children on a Disney Cruise this fall. My daughter usually gets a fall break either in October or November and I noticed the DCL prices are significantly cheaper then.

I want a vacation where we can be together if we want, but where my daughter can get together with other children and she loves Disney. We went to a live show recently and she was so happy.

I was recently widowed. Anyone know if I'll need proof of that when I apply for our passports or when we leave?

I am glad to see this. I'm thinking of taking my children on a Disney Cruise this fall. My daughter usually gets a fall break either in October or November and I noticed the DCL prices are significantly cheaper then.

I want a vacation where we can be together if we want, but where my daughter can get together with other children and she loves Disney. We went to a live show recently and she was so happy.

I was recently widowed. Anyone know if I'll need proof of that when I apply for our passports or when we leave?

Sorry for your loss. Not sure where you live. Here in Canada, you need to show the authority a copy of the death certificate when applying passports for your kids or traveling with them. Hope this helps.

Sorry about your loss.

I live in New York and a death certificate with a raised seal is what you would need if you lived here, it's probably the same.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise and your daughter.

hi all

im a single parent and going on the disney wonder on 6th may 2010 with my 8yr old son and my parents, anyoneelse on this one?!

At the top of this forum page is a link to the Roll Call page. Go there and look for your cruise date to find others on your cruise. If you dont see your date, then start a roll call thread and others will find you.:)

Archived