Wildlife Viewing Tours in Fairbanks?

sparetire

My wife and I will have a day to kill in Fairbanks August 31st (her 60th birthday) before flying out at 8:00 AM September 1st. Our main interest is unfenced wildlife, and we'd prefer not to do a fly-out tour. I've found a couple of attractive tours to the arctic circle, but they get back way too late for us to get a decent night's sleep before the next day's travel hassle.

So can anyone recommend a tour operator who does a six to eight hour wildlife-oriented land tour, or should I just rent a car and head up the Dalton Highway (or in another direction?) for a few hours?

If you're looking for unfenced wildlife, I suggest you rent a car and drive around for a while. I don't think there's any tour that has that specific purpose. And the wildlife seem to always know when you're looking for them and like to play hard to get, so make sure you have something else in mind so they won't bother hiding;).

If you haven't seen a musk ox, be sure to go to UAF and see them. Fence or not, they're pretty cool.

Stop at Creamers Field

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index.cfm?adfg=refuge.creamers

http://www.arcticaudubon.org/crane.html

for birds and possibly other animals.

The only wild life you're likely to see in the vicinity of Fairbanks is at the local bars. If you get lucky, you might see a moose. Best places for looking though, are on the trails at Creamer's Field or the UAF ski trails. Both are easy hiking trails and you may see a variety of birds.

Well, we're way past our prime for that kind of wildlife, so it looks like the car rental, although we'll keep the UAF suggestion as Plan B.

So what direction should we take? Up the Dalton Hwy, back towards Denali, or another entirely? Thanks to you both for your responses.

Well, we're way past our prime for that kind of wildlife, so it looks like the car rental, although we'll keep the UAF suggestion as Plan B.

So what direction should we take? Up the Dalton Hwy, back towards Denali, or another entirely? Thanks to you both for your responses.

In my opinion, first, decide if this aimless driving is what you really want?? Wildlife will be a VERY slight chance in the wild. And Wolfies comment is dead on. :) Also- your priority is your "sleep"? You are going to be sitting in a plane for hours, not sure how "rested" you really have to be, when perhaps, you could really have some significant touring options available?

You have NO option to drive the Dalton Highway, it is unpaved and none of the major car rentals allow it. The Arctic Circle fly/van tours are excellent, in my opinion. So are the flightseeing areas. I do not recommend the round trip ground tours for the Arctic Circle. You may want to take a more informed look at your limited time. Find out what Fairbanks can offer you??

Archived