Altun Ha thru Island Marketing

cruisingbajan

Hi Guys

I posted this on the Belize board over a week ago but have not yet received a response. I am hoping someone here maybe able to advise. Thanks

Just wondering if anyone out there has done this tour recently through Island Marketing?

If so can you advise what time you got off the ship? Were the guides there when you arrived? Did they get you back in plenty of time to get onto the ship without feeling rushed?

Thanks in advance

We used them in January and had a GREAT time. They were waiting at end of pier for us. Had a short walk to pay our balance and since we were a party of ten, we were in our own van and off very quickly. We were back in PLENTY of time. We did some shopping when we returned, sat around on pier and still did not use the last tender. The lunch was good also that was included...:rolleyes:

Here's the portion of our Legend review from last September discussing the tour:

Thursday – Belize City - We previously reserved a tour in Belize on line through Island Marketing called Alton Ha Ruins and City Tour for $42.50 each. The tour was to start at 11:30 (ship time). We went to the theater to see about getting tickets for the tender to get off the ship and we were given tickets on tender 2. We were off the ship at 9:30 and found the Island Marketing representative as we got off the tender. He took us to a small office where we paid the balace due for our excursion. We were told to come back in a half hour because if everyone on the tour shows up early, we’ll leave early. Everyone showed up early but we didn’t leave until 11:30 – the scheduled departure time for the tour. In the meantime, we walked around the shops in the port area and had a Beliken beer.

There were 18 of us on the tour and we were on an old school bus – it was nicely air conditioned and comfortable. Jenny was our guide and she did a very good job of explaining the sites around Belize City and the area north as we drove toward the ruins. The last 15 miles were on a very dilapidated and narrow road, full of potholes, and with a muddy shoulder that the bus would have to pull onto if there was oncoming traffic. Once we got to Alton Ha, Jenny guided us through the area for a little over an hour. The ruins weren’t as spectacular as some we have seen in Mexico such as Coba or Tulum but were very interesting anyway. We then got back on the bus and went to the Mayan Wells restaurant for lunch – very good rice with beans and roast chicken. They also gave us bottles of water and lemonade. The weather so far was very nice – overcast and not too hot or humid. Once we got back on the bus, the rain started.

At the rate we were going, I figured we would get back to the port about the time the last tender for our ship would depart. I asked Jenny if there were any contingency plans in case we all missed the last tender – a flat tire on these roads was certainly a possibility. Jenny just said that their tours always get back to the port on time. We got back at 3:45 – 15 minutes before the last tender departed. We enjoyed the tour but got a little nervous about missing the ship.

. Jenny just said that their tours always get back to the port on time. We got back at 3:45 – 15 minutes before the last tender departed. We enjoyed the tour but got a little nervous about missing the ship.

Wow - that's cutting it mighty close. Too close!

We booked Altun Ha thru Island Marketing when we were on Legend back in January, and had an amazing time! We did not have any problems getting back to the ship, loved the personalized tour that Jenny gave us, really enjoyed the food at the restaurant we ate at (book with the ship and you do not get to eat!), learned a LOT about the history of the Mayan people, and most importantly, did not feel rushed at all!

We looked at those that were part of the tour from the ship, and they looked harried, rushed, and like they were not enjoying themselves.

I'll take a comfortable tour with a reputable company over being part of a cattle call tour with a ship anytime!

We booked Altun Ha thru Island Marketing when we were on Legend back in January, and had an amazing time! We did not have any problems getting back to the ship, loved the personalized tour that Jenny gave us, really enjoyed the food at the restaurant we ate at (book with the ship and you do not get to eat!), learned a LOT about the history of the Mayan people, and most importantly, did not feel rushed at all!

We looked at those that were part of the tour from the ship, and they looked harried, rushed, and like they were not enjoying themselves.

I'll take a comfortable tour with a reputable company over being part of a cattle call tour with a ship anytime!

Thanks for the info. Did you get back with plenty of time to spare?

It says we will be in port from 800am to 500pm which is 9 hours. They say the tour is 4 hours so even allowing for a 2 hour time difference I figure this should give you plenty of time.

Is my theory flawed in any way?:rolleyes::)

Thanks

We had Jenny in january as our guide. Thought she was wonderful. Very knowledgable and gave a great tour...:rolleyes:

Archived