ID Requirement for Kids Returning to Ship?

handbellplayer

I've never cruised with a child before. I know adults need a picture ID and Sea Pass or Sign/Sail card when returning to the ship from a port. What do you need for a child?

The child (my granddaughter) does not have a passport and will be traveling using a birth certificate. Do we take the birth certificate ashore or is her ship-issued card enough?

The only ports on this cruise are Nassau and Coco Cay.

All you'll need it their ship ID/key....you won't need to take passports or BC ashore. It's not required at any Caribbean port for cruise passengers. And, Coco Cay is PART of the ship, so to speak...it's a "sea day", on land!

Why doesn't she need a passport? I thought you needed a passport for every foreign port. They told us that we even needed passports on an Alaskan and Hawaiian cruises.

That's pretty funny! The only thing with Alaska cruises is that some of them begin or end in Canada, don't they? I could see the need for a passport then...not sure about Hawaiian cruises- where do they usually start and end?

This leads into the debate about needing passports to cruise- the official US gov't stance is that for closed loop (orignate and end in same US port) you won't technically need passport but it is strongly recommended. I am sure there are some possible ports along a cruise where a passport is needed to get off the ship, but the 2 ports the OP mentioned are don't fall into that category. :D

I've never cruised with a child before. I know adults need a picture ID and Sea Pass or Sign/Sail card when returning to the ship from a port. What do you need for a child?

The child (my granddaughter) does not have a passport and will be traveling using a birth certificate. Do we take the birth certificate ashore or is her ship-issued card enough?

The only ports on this cruise are Nassau and Coco Cay.

I am not certain...but if both parents are not going on this cruise you may also want to bring a notarized letter from the parent staying home- giving permission for the child to cruise... probably not needed but wouldn't hurt IMO.

Have a wonderful time!!!

Why doesn't she need a passport? I thought you needed a passport for every foreign port. They told us that we even needed passports on an Alaskan and Hawaiian cruises.

Closed loop cruises starting and ending in the same US port do not require passports. BC and DL for 16 and over and BC for under 16 is all that is required for closed loop cruises.

How old is your granddaughter? If she is under 18, you/she will ABSOLUTELY need a notarized letter signed by both of her parents allowing you to take her out of the US for this cruise. Nassau and Coco Cay are definitely outside the US, as both ports are in the Bahamas. This letter should also include permission for you to seek any necessary medical treatment. If your granddaughter is over 16, she will be required to have a government-issued (not school) photo ID. Her original or certified copy of her BC is also required. all of this is just to board in your US port. While ashore, she just needs her ship card. And you. Have fun!

All you'll need it their ship ID/key....you won't need to take passports or BC ashore. It's not required at any Caribbean port for cruise passengers. And, Coco Cay is PART of the ship, so to speak...it's a "sea day", on land!

You're wrong. Coca Cay is located on Eleuthera, which is part of the Bahamas. RCI owns this private island, but it is not PART of any RCI/Celebrity ship.

If your cruise is a closed loop cruise, meaning your cruise starts and ends in the same US port, no one needs a passport. If your Alaska cruise starts or ends in Canada, and you have to fly into or out of Canada, you DO need a passport.

To the OP, children under the age of 16 do not need a photo id to get back on the ship, only their sign and sail card.

1. Make sure you have a notarized letter with BOTH parents signature before you leave for the cruise port. They will NOT let you take the child out of the country without that note.

2. Make things simple and have your child take your grandchild to the BMV and obtain a state ID for the child. I have always cruised with one to make my life easy.

Archived