Waist Stash & Money Belt ANYONE use these?

STARFISH*4

So, your DH can write in Italian but not speak it??? Another enlightening post.

He used the English/Italian Book that we had with us plus our daughter helped him, she CAN speak/write Italian, she lives there!:p

Losing some of our money in Rome was traumatic at the time but looking back on it now we realize that it was a great learning experience. We feel that at least we know a "little" of what to look for.

At first my DH was furious and he had so easily been "had" by a bunch of teenage girls. I think that he also felt that it was his job to "look out for me, as well as "our" money, etc. But he realizes now that these pickpockets are pros. We both feel that we are a little more prepared now when we travel and a little more educated.

• 4 weeks later...

I am feelng that our WHOLE trip will be a learning experience. I am more worried about my teenaged daughters. I don't want to scare them needlessly but I want them to be wary too. I have learned so much of what to look out for but I am not sure they grasp the importance yet. Hopefully i am underestimating them. I just hope I am not always trying to watch out for them and miss the fun of the journey.

I wear a money belt whenever I am out of the country (except a Caribbean cruise) with my passport zipped in it. Others seem to want to leave theirs in the safe, but I want mine with me. If I get sick, in an accident, lost, I want proof of who I am with me. When moving from hotel to hotel, etc. I carry my "big" money in my money belt. I might leave that in a safe if I'm sure I won't need it.

I brought a rather large camera (SLR) on a river cruise to China. Most of the time, it was around my neck. When not around my neck, it was in my purse. It was so heavy and so much trouble that I bought a smaller camera for my next trip. I didn't even know I should make an effort to hide the brand name, etc. The only instance of theft we encountered in China was a woman who walked through a crowded market with her camera hanging from her wrist. When we got out of the crowd, her camera was gone.

I have a cross body purse and will probably also get a money belt for use especially when we are in Barcelona pre-cruise as we will have all of our cash, passports etc until we can check into the hotel. My big question now is my daughter's "good" camera that she wants to take along "after all mom why would I go to europe and not want to get GREAT pictures". So what does everyone think? How do we safeguard her camera? what kind of bag? She does have a thinker strap that she can use when she is using the camera. HELP! I need some suggestions!

Pacsafe makes many items many anti theft travel gear including camera bags.

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php

Shak

I used their strap for my camera and their money belt during my travels as well.

Many years ago when I was in NYC with my best friend. She insisted on wearing a money belt but since her dress was too sheer to wear it around her waist, she had the bright idea of strapping it around her thigh. I told her it was a dumb idea but she insisted. While we were standing waiting for the elevator, I looked down and there was the money belt around her ankle! She ended up stuffing the darned thing in her hand-bag and we had a good laugh all night! :p

i am 'leaning' towards using a money belt this next cruise...hubby or myself...just wondering if those that use one if they can fit 2 passports or is that just to "bulky"????

I used the Money Belt from Wal-Mart. I didn't even realize that I had it on when i wore it.

I was able to carry 1/2 of the euro we brought and put 2 passports in it...yes, I felt the passports in the belt when I was carrying these, because they don't bend/contour like currency. Didn't feel the currency when we left the passports in our cabin safe (we carried ONLY copies of the passports at port). :)

I used the Money Belt from Wal-Mart. I didn't even realize that I had it on when i wore it.

I was able to carry 1/2 of the euro we brought and put 2 passports in it...yes, I felt the passports in the belt when I was carrying these, because they don't bend/contour like currency. Didn't feel the currency when we left the passports in our cabin safe (we carried ONLY copies of the passports at port). :)

thanks...we just might try this and see maybe both of us will wear one.

Hi

I recently bought the pacsafe little thing that goes around your neck (not sure of the official name) but it's kind of like a wallet and big enough for your passports. When I try it on, it's a bit bulky and obvious under my shirt. Is it supposed to be like that?

Another question - has anyone used the Pacsafe tote bags or handbags? I was wondering if maybe that's a good option. I know someone can rip it off my shoulder completely if they wanted to, but if the norm is slicing the bag open to get to the contents maybe this will be a good option.

We will be cruising out of Barcelona and although I don't want to be paranoid about pickpockets I want to do what I can to keep our valuables safe while exploring.

Thank you

Noreen

Hello, Noreen

We used PacSafe bags for our Med cruise and the under-the-clothes wallets, too. The wallets are somewhat stiff at first, but they do soften up. You can also wash them to soften them up faster. Mine are made of polyester and with them right next to the body, they do need washing after a time.

We used the PacSafe 200 bag as a day-tote during our port tours. I had a PacSafe 100 also, but we found just one bag (DH got to tote it) was sufficient for us.

Have fun.

Margee

I also have the PacSafe Metro Safe 200 bag. It's a great size for a day bag - it holds quite a bit, yet isn't too bulky. The security features on the zippers are pretty easy to use - not frustrating for the owner, but a definite deterrent for pickpockets, imo. The strap can be stiff at first, if wearing cross-body, but I like knowing that the wire's in there...

Hi Margee and AdvocateMom

Thank you both for your feedback on the pacsafe bags.

I'm hoping to find a store near me that sells them so I can see them in person to choose the one (or two) that I like

Thank you again

Noreen

I'm hoping to find a store near me that sells them so I can see them in person to choose the one (or two) that I like

I have the SlingSafe 50 Pacsafe bag in the sage green colour and wear it across my body. It's big enough for my small wallet, cell phone, camera, passports and other bits.

Because I like to hang my mini tripod off the strap, and I had the strap's clasp open on me a couple times. I solved that by adding a split key ring to hold the strap to it's ring as well as the hook. The lighter colours can get a little dirty and I had a dirt pattern of the inside mesh showing up on the front, but I scrubbed it and threw it in the washing machine. I then hung it to dry.

I just loaned it to my SIL for a Med. cruise out of Greece on Sunday. She was planning on taking a mini crocheted bag with a cloth strap and no zippers before.

Got mine at our CAA / AAA shop near me. The Pacsafe website has a store locator on their website. It was worth the money to me for the added sense of security.

On topic, my SIL and BIL are taking money belts with them, but we've never bothered.

Archived