Captain's Circle Lounge-Ruby

BosoxI

We just diembarked several days ago and had been pleased to see the specials of the day in the CC Lounge were priced at $2.99. We attended every night on the 10 day cruise, something we never would have done ordinarily. On the 26 day Pacific trip we took in Dec/Jan, drinks were $5, I recall. Is this a new price policy on all ships, or just a Ruby special?

From what has been reported, some ships are now offering a happy hour at all bars after a certain time in the evening for well drinks at $2.99. It sounds like the Elite/Platinum/Suite cocktail lounge is starting the happy hour a bit early. Not sure if this is fleet wide yet, as it has only been reported (so far) on one or two ships (that I have read about).

If they start doing this $2.99 happy hour, it would be great on the long cruise, we booked a long one for next year and I've been thinking about how much our bar bill is going to be. Let's hope they continue this. I can see if they lower the drink prices they may start closely monitoring what is brought onto the ship(liqour wise).

If they start doing this $2.99 happy hour, it would be great on the long cruise, we booked a long one for next year and I've been thinking about how much our bar bill is going to be. Let's hope they continue this. I can see if they lower the drink prices they may start closely monitoring what is brought onto the ship(liqour wise).

In a way this makes sense; in another way with lower liquor prices people might be less likely to bring their own liquor on-board.

In a way this makes sense; in another way with lower liquor prices people might be less likely to bring their own liquor on-board.

There's always someone that thinks they need to load on a liquor store in their cabin.

We too just disembarked the Ruby last Tuesday.

It was nice to see the $2.99 special at the Eltie/Platinum Lounge... a different drink each night... and the goodies were decent...

I did see for the first time on any Princess ship special $2.99 drinks between 8PM and 11PM ... I saw the flyer in several lounges/bars altho I can't say it was in all. It covered well liquors (something with soda only...a simple screwdriver was not covered) ...2 or 3 beers and 3 speciality drinks such as a Pina Colada...

The Elite lounge on the Ruby at 5pm had $1 off drink prices only not a cheap $2.99 one even the choice of the day was only the dollar off.

It almost sounds like maybe they are trying different things with different ships in the fleet. $1 off drinks on one, $2.99 drinks on another. Almost like a test program to see which brings in the most profits.

It almost sounds like maybe they are trying different things with different ships in the fleet. $1 off drinks on one, $2.99 drinks on another. Almost like a test program to see which brings in the most profits.

Well from the prices they charge for their drinks it's obvious that they're considering making more of a profit doing volume. At $7 per drink for one of their fruity concoctions we've usually limited ourselves to one or 2 per cruise. We'll see what they have to offer.

Now if they would only consider a volume profit for their photo dept, we might even start buying pictures again. :rolleyes:

Well from the prices they charge for their drinks it's obvious that they're considering making more of a profit doing volume. At $7 per drink for one of their fruity concoctions we've usually limited ourselves to one or 2 per cruise. We'll see what they have to offer.

Now if they would only consider a volume profit for their photo dept, we might even start buying pictures again. :rolleyes:

I don't want an important thread on liquor to be hijacked:rolleyes:, but you raise an interesting point. What happens to the thousands of pictures which are not purchased? Can "used" photo stock be recycled? No wonder pix are so expensive if they are all chucked.

I don't want an important thread on liquor to be hijacked:rolleyes:, but you raise an interesting point. What happens to the thousands of pictures which are not purchased? Can "used" photo stock be recycled? No wonder pix are so expensive if they are all chucked.

I have always said, now that we are in the digital photo age, think of all that could be saved (re: cutting down the price to purchase) if they could find some way to keep them digital and you choose the ones you want printed. But then that would keep all those that spend time looking through the photo array of passengers (I have seen some there for an hour or more just looking) from passing the time. :confused:

If they could just come up with a way of not printing them unless requested, it would save so much time, effort and photo processing. If it brought down the price, I am sure they would sell many more on every sailing. I can't think of the last time we actually 'purchased a picture'. ;)

I have always said, now that we are in the digital photo age, think of all that could be saved (re: cutting down the price to purchase) if they could find some way to keep them digital and you choose the ones you want printed. But then that would keep all those that spend time looking through the photo array of passengers (I have seen some there for an hour or more just looking) from passing the time. :confused:

If they could just come up with a way of not printing them unless requested, it would save so much time, effort and photo processing. If it brought down the price, I am sure they would sell many more on every sailing. I can't think of the last time we actually 'purchased a picture'. ;)

Isn't RCCL doing just that?

We recently returned from a two week cruise on a ship that was 'all inclusive' and it was such an absolute delight to have our in-room bar fridge stocked with a very nice quality white and red wine, two beers (we never used), sodas, tonic water and bottled water. We preferred wine versus vodka or gin but if that had been our preference, that's what would have been stocked. When the wine was half depleted - it was replaced by the cabin steward when she cleaned our cabin, so if we had guests in our cabin - she would do it 2x day. No questions asked and no need to remind her. When we would go to the bar for afternoon cocktail hour, the martinis were of the highest quality - Grey Goose, Belvedere, etc., and gin was Bombay Sapphire. They made the rounds while you were sunbathing with iced pina coladas, mai tai's, and one of the best - frozen fruit on a stick! In the evening before dinner, we would meet in the lounge for champagne, martini's etc., and tasty canapes would be served. Then, while attending the after-dinner theatre shows where the staff performed, you could have any after dinner drink you liked from Bailey's, Grand Marnier, etc. The prices were absorbed into the cost of the cruise as was their policy of no-tipping and at the end of the day, we felt we received more than our money's worth and would not hesitate to book another 'all inclusive' cruise in the future. :)

On one of our Princess cruises, I asked a senior manager what the largest profit center was onboard and he said, without hesitation, 'photos.'

Isn't RCCL doing just that?

From our experience on a recent RCCCL cruise:

All pictures taken are printed and displayed in the photo gallery.

Cost of formal pictures is $19.95. Cost of pictures taken as you leave the ship in a port is $9.95.

Cost of the video of the cruise is $29.95 ("only two hundred available").

There is a machine at which you can swipe your cruise card and then see pictures that are of you. I suspect it works with some sort of facial recognition using the image taken for the cruise card when initially boarding the ship. When I tried it, the results were mixed.

a) Even though my cruise card was swiped for the welcome aboard picture and the formal night picture taking, none of these pictures appeared.

b) Pictures taken at ports appeared

c) Some pictures taken of others in our family who had their reservation linked to ours, but without me or my spouse in them, also appeared. Maybe our faces are similar enough?

d) A picture of total strangers (to us) also was in the displayed group.

From our experience on a recent RCCCL cruise:

All pictures taken are printed and displayed in the photo gallery.

Cost of formal pictures is $19.95. Cost of pictures taken as you leave the ship in a port is $9.95.

Cost of the video of the cruise is $29.95 ("only two hundred available").

There is a machine at which you can swipe your cruise card and then see pictures that are of you. I suspect it works with some sort of facial recognition using the image taken for the cruise card when initially boarding the ship. When I tried it, the results were mixed.

a) Even though my cruise card was swiped for the welcome aboard picture and the formal night picture taking, none of these pictures appeared.

b) Pictures taken at ports appeared

c) Some pictures taken of others in our family who had their reservation linked to ours, but without me or my spouse in them, also appeared. Maybe our faces are similar enough?

d) A picture of total strangers (to us) also was in the displayed group.

I believe the system is in place on the Oasis.

Archived