Viking- "Waterways of the Czars" 4 ships

Murphey

Which one???

Would like to hear feedback. The reviews are all over the map.

Went with Viking to China, and love it!!

Help!!!

We are going on the Surkov in June, but also looked in to the Kirov, since those where the two most recently renovated ships. I understand one of the others is being renovated for 2011.

We were on the Pakhomov in Russia last July with Viking. We loved the trip, but the rooms are quite small, although we had enough storage and hanging space. We got a much better deal on the Pakhomov than on the two refurbished ships, and we find that we spend very little time in the stateroom itself--so it worked out fine for us. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Surkov and loved the ship. It is one of the newer ones with much more comfortable beds (hotel like beds), modern bathroom facilities (enclosed shower) and very little noise (except when going through locks which is normal). We would have enjoyed a balcony, but I believe there are none on any Viking Russia ship.

We were on the Surkov and loved the ship. It is one of the newer ones with much more comfortable beds (hotel like beds), modern bathroom facilities (enclosed shower) and very little noise (except when going through locks which is normal). We would have enjoyed a balcony, but I believe there are none on any Viking Russia ship.

Thanks for your thoughts. We read some really bad reviews and are just chalking it up to picky people! How was the food? We are not expecting gourmet, just edible.

Food is good, not gourmet. Buffet breakfast with other items (like French Toast) which can be special ordered; lunch with soups, salads, sandwiches and some hot items; dinners with choices (and chicken, steak and Caesar Salad always an option). Perfectly adequate, but you wouldn't choose a river cruise for fancy food. Portion size is very reasonable, not too large.

I am new to this site and having trouble finding my way around. We leave next month for Russia on the Pakomov. A couple of questions: Would we be missing a lot if we left the ship one night early? We are considering taking a ferry to Helsinki but it would mean leaving St Petersburg a day early. I am thinking that might be a special "Last nite" dinner.

Are there any ATMs after you leave Moscow and St Petersburg?

And, the question my husband really wants answered Doe he HAVE to take a sport coat????

Thanks for any help youo can give us

On our cruise on the good ship Pakomov (October 2008) the "farewell dinner" was held the evening we cruised into St Petersburg. The dinner wasn't anything special, but if you leave early, you will cut short your time in St Petersburg which is a fascinating city. We stayed three days after the cruise and barely scratched the surface.

We didn't notice any particular dress requirements, it was very relaxed.

I think there were ATMs along the way at Yaroslavl and probably Uglich. With accommodation and meals and tours prepaid, we didn't need much cash between Moscow and St Petersburg.

• 2 weeks later...
Report back please!!

Any particular reason you chose the ship you did??

We have some bathroom issues and Kirov is supposed to have better ones! ( according to Viking agent we talked with). Unrefurbished boats have "yacht style" bathrooms. I really wonder if there is that much difference. Schedule and direction also figured into choice. Polly

We are taking the Surkov in Sept. and going to Helsinki on our own. We could find no ferry traffic. We asked Viking to send us home from Helsinki and we will fly to Helsinki with those going on the post cruise. This is one trip where we will do the cruise line air to avoid airport to boat on our own. Pat

Pat,

We just made reservations on the Princess Maria, an overnight ferry from St. P to Helsinki, departs 8:00P, arrives Helsinki 8:30A. €272.00 for a cabin for 2, includes dinner and breakfast. For their website go to:

https://stpeterline.carus.fi. We're looking forward to our first river cruise and the ferry. Hope this info is helpful and timely.

Sandi

Sandi,

It must be the time of year we are travelling. We were going to take the train, but Viking said they would fly us to Helsinki along with the post cruise passengers. There was no extra cost that we could see, so we said yes. We are getting excited--have been on a Baltic cruise with Oceania and spent 2 days in St.Pete. WOW. We used Alla tours and were so pleased. This time around we will just go with Viking's tours. Looking forward to hearing about your trip. Pat

This link will tell you about our experiences on the Pakmohov last July.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1039262&highlight=pakmohov

One of the crew was speaking with us one night about their initial sailing in May of last year, and they experienced some snow near St. Petersburg. Check the weather forecast before you leave and plan accordingly for proper dress.:)

Archived