Non-US Passengers - what would you like from Princess

seb530

A world wide internet based booking system same conditions prices world wide,

Would still allow different prices, deals through TA.s due to local consumer laws etc.

This would be top of my list.

I entirely understand why prices might have to be different if I choose to buy through a UK travel agent. That's fine.

What is not fine is being prevented - solely by the company's commercial policy - from choosing to book a US price through a US travel agent.

As citizens of the UK, AUS, or wherever you have to comply with whatever rules are in place in you country when you travel. As a business operating in the UK, AUS, or where Princess has to comply with the local procedures put in place. AND...they cannot knowingly allow you to avoid certain fees and pricing or facilitate foreign competition by allowing you to avoid the regulations they operate under. The dirty little secret is that governments create rules, but leave it to service providers to comply, so that they take the criticism that is so common on these message boards.
You're absolutely right - but only where such rules exist.

And the one thing that is crystal clear is that there are NO rules preventing Princess from selling US market prices via US travel agents to UK residents. That is purely a Princess policy.

We can be pretty confident about this, because:-

• The main Carnival brand (ie the same legal entities that operate the Princess brand) sells US market prices via US travel agents to UK residents.
  • RCI sells US market prices via US travel agents to UK residents.
  • Disney sells US market prices via US travel agents to UK residents.
  • NCL sells US market prices via US travel agents to UK residents.

It is unlikely in the extreme that Princess is merely abiding by a rule, as all of these other cruise lines (including the same legal entites that operate the Princess brand) would be in flagrant breach of the rule.

Take heart, I expect the disparity in pricing to diminish in the next few years as we begin to move down the same path others have been on for decades. Your costs won't come down; instead, ours will go up since that is the way it always turns out when the powers-that-be decide to exercise their power over us. Cruising will soon enough be something only for the wealthy, powerful, and connected, and for most of us it will be only a dream or a once in a lifetime event.

Why should it? if the US market (Princess) allowed foreign country's to book through the US, the money is coming in directly to the US is it not? there by bolstering the economy?

If you are talking about the price of Cruising going through the roof to be unobtainable by US citizens then again I say "hogwash"

I will give you an example of the typical pricing that we have over here that we pay for (many people are not aware or like me are not comfortable booking outside of their own country) Ive calculated the Auto Tips as 14 days (for anyone who gives extra to room service staff) As the below example is for 12 nights, balcony stateroom.

Below is outside what is considered "peak" periods looked at in September this year.

Select an Embarkation Date

Interior Oceanview Obstructed Balcony Mini-Suite/Suite

£1,519.00 £1,939.00 £1,946.00 £2,184.00 £2,564.00

Air Gov't Fees and Taxes: Included Currency: GBP

Add auto tips to this and I calculated remember at 14 days @ 10:50 although this cruise is set as a 12 night cruise

147.00 US dollars = 98.62 British pounds sterling

Exchange rate: 0.670916

Rate valid as of: 3/4/2010

Now I know exchange rates go up and down, so what IS the problem with including this relativity low tip onto the cruise price?

instead of a balcony room set at 2,184.00 goes to £2,282.00

I can afford to purchase this cruise at the above amount - not have several cruises a year but one - and still enjoy ship board life and buy myself some swarovski jewellery :D:D and have a drink or two on board + do some ship excursions.

Trust me I ant no big wig earner either - I get a good basic living wage - So if people from my level can afford this what IS the problem? we currently are paying these rates?

IMHO if they incorporated the gratuities in the fare - they would (hotel staff) probably earn more individually because it IS our custom to give tips to those that serve us - but not in that way.

BTW this thread asks what you would "like" from Princess, these are just our opinions on what we would like to see. There is a big difference in the question posed and the way its perceived by those who come on and think its about others not wanting to go along with the way it is at the moment. Most of us do go along with it but find the system very odd to say the least.

I would be perfectly happy for everything to continue the same except for being allowed to book my cruise through a TA in Houston who I have been using for more than 10 years:mad:

I strongly agree! I, too, have just been unceremoniously ousted from the services of the Houston agency whom I have happily used for years, because Princess arbitrarily decided to enforce their policy of no international clients for US agencies; they did this with no warning leaving me to scramble to find a local TA and get my bookings transferred very close to a final payment date - the transfer (which Princess made a fuss about even tho' they had precipitated it) was accomplished with only hours to spare. Poor customer relations!

I think auto tipping is easy and convenient so long as it can be adjusted for extreme situations.

As far as which currency should be used - I'm no economist but I expect that it must be a nightmare in terms of business planning to try and guess how exchange rates will fluctuate; I presume that Princess uses whatever model they think will be most advantageous to themselves which I hope (perhaps naively) will translate into the best prices for us.

*** Please, please, please refrain from posting here if you are a US citizen, this thread is intended to guage the desire of those outwith US Culture without getting into arguments about tipping etc.

Hi all, as a Uk/Australian/European customer of Princess and as they bring more ships to Europe what changes would you like to see and do they have any particular nuances about how they handle your bookings etc?

Mine are:

- Put tipping back to exceptional service

- Give me the same rights to cancel without losing my deposit as USA

- Give me the same rights to take advantage of price drops (as the USA)

- Maybe look at the EURO as onboard currency?

- Free access to princess.co.uk on the ships computers to check out cruise prices for FCC (last year only Princess.com was free)

- Allow me to book through a US TA if I want

I think thats about it!...

I do think it was rather inflammatory the way you posted your thread and the restrictions you thought to impose... but I do agree with some of your points which I have highlighted above.

I would like to have the same booking conditions as our friends from across the pond. ;)

In terms of tipping, there is no one solution that everyone is going to be in agreement with, so I personally think that the auto-tip is the best way of doing it, on the proviso that new customers are made explicitly aware of it up front before they cruise, and not just rely on the fact that it is somewhere in the Q&A book, or contract or wherever. How many people read these thoroughly?

In terms of the currency, I don't really care, I spend it all the same anyway whether it is pounds, euro, dollars, whatever :eek: :D

You're absolutely right - but only where such rules exist.

And the one thing that is crystal clear is that there are NO rules preventing Princess from selling US market prices via US travel agents to UK residents. That is purely a Princess policy. No, this is a result of a company exceeding a certain threshold of business within a certain country that results in them having to set up a local subsidiary. As RCI has had to do. The same complaints about pricing are posted by UK residents on the RC board as are posted here concerning Princess.

We can be pretty confident about this, because:-

• The main Carnival brand (ie the same legal entities that operate the Princess brand) sells US market prices via US travel agents to UK residents. Princess and Carnival are separate companies. The umbrella corporation is the same but they operate independently. Carnival does not have a UK infrastructure so there is no way the UK government can pursue a case against Carnival. Princess has a large presence in the UK and could be the object of retaliatory action if trade policies are violated.
  • RCI sells US market prices via US travel agents to UK residents. RCI sells to the UK through a UK sub just like Princess.
  • Disney sells US market prices via US travel agents to UK residents. I think Disney sells UK prices to US residents...they are in a different price category altogether.
  • NCL sells US market prices via US travel agents to UK residents. NCL has no footprint in the UK. They can get away with it since there is no way that they can be prosecuted by the UK government. If they base a ship in Southampton I'll bet you dollars to pounds that the policy would change within 12 months.

It is unlikely in the extreme that Princess is merely abiding by a rule, as all of these other cruise lines (including the same legal entites that operate the Princess brand) would be in flagrant breach of the rule.

I think I answered it adequately. It comes down to governments' taxation of businesses. I don't think you have all your facts correct about the cruise lines and how they operate...Your analysis won't be correct until your basic assumptions are corrected.

I think I answered it adequately. It comes down to governments' taxation of businesses. I don't think you have all your facts correct about the cruise lines and how they operate...Your analysis won't be correct until your basic assumptions are corrected.

I believe it has more to do with charging what the market will stand, unfortunately for them the non-us market appears to be rebelling by removing auto tips etc:mad:

Why should it? if the US market (Princess) allowed foreign country's to book through the US, the money is coming in directly to the US is it not? there by bolstering the economy?

It has nothing to do with what the US wants. It has everything to do with what your home government wants. No state that supports itself with taxes on sales of goods and services wants their citizens spending their money in other states.

Politicians are very smart. They set up rules that restrict your freedom to trade as you would like to, and force companies who operate within their jurisdiction to comply with those rules by making the officers of those companies personally liable for violations. The companies adopt compliance policies to obey the laws and avoid civil and criminal litigation, which annoys customers. Customers blame the evil corporation, the politicians laugh all the way to the bank.

And I'm not even going to get into the influence that your travel cartels in the UK have over the policies in place...I'm willing to bet that a UK TA makes a LOT more money per sale than a US TA.

I believe it has more to do with charging what the market will stand, unfortunately for them the non-us market appears to be rebelling by removing auto tips etc:mad:
You still don't get it. Princess isn't telling you that you cannot book under the same conditions. Your government is. They're just making Princess do the dirty work and take the blame. The people who remove their tips are hurting people who have no part in the process. What they really need to do is refuse to pay their taxes...then they'll find out who's really to blame. :D

It has nothing to do with what the US wants. It has everything to do with what your home government wants. No state that supports itself with taxes on sales of goods and services wants their citizens spending their money in other states.

Politicians are very smart. They set up rules that restrict your freedom to trade as you would like to, and force companies who operate within their jurisdiction to comply with those rules by making the officers of those companies personally liable for violations. The companies adopt compliance policies to obey the laws and avoid civil and criminal litigation, which annoys customers. Customers blame the evil corporation, the politicians laugh all the way to the bank.

And I'm not even going to get into the influence that your travel cartels in the UK have over the policies in place...I'm willing to bet that a UK TA makes a LOT more money per sale than a US TA.

You are not making any sense as other Carnival brands dont bar you from booking via US TA's

I understand completely what you are saying re government's restricting through their own policy's - when the global market went into melt down - didn't the G8 come to a global solution - it made specific policy's to ensure people didn't start stashing there cash in overseas countries, effectively blocking them from moving money around the globe. But were on a different level here, we are talking about the global market opening up to allow people to buy products direct from each others countries - yet Princess choose to put into force a non sale of product from overseas customers, this is one example of it - I know if I wanted to buy other goods from the US I could and have it delivered over here - paying custom charges etc on that.

People who do choose to buy through a foreign agency to get the benefits also need to take into account that they are then very much at the mercy of the laws and regulations that country operates under. So if anything went wrong unless there insurance covered them "over and above" the standard they would then be at the peril of what that country would do for them if they were left high and dry by way of liquidisation of that company - we have had heaps of TA's go under people loosing money paid on holidays etc. There is a risk element in it all - but surely those savy enough to know the pit falls should be allowed to make that choice?

Don't dig too deep into the politics of this - Princess obviously needs to build up a good European market and is moving towards satisfying that market by its increase in business over here, but it would serve the public well if we could have/share in that ability to cancel with no deposit loss, etc etc etc

Like I said at the end of the day this thread is only about what we would like to see not the reality of it.

People who do choose to buy through a foreign agency to get the benefits also need to take into account that they are then very much at the mercy of the laws and regulations that country operates under. So if anything went wrong unless there insurance covered them "over and above" the standard they would then be at the peril of what that country would do for them if they were left high and dry by way of liquidisation of that company - we have had heaps of TA's go under people loosing money paid on holidays etc. There is a risk element in it all - but surely those savy enough to know the pit falls should be allowed to make that choice?

Don't dig too deep into the politics of this - Princess obviously needs to build up a good European market and is moving towards satisfying that market by its increase in business over here, but it would serve the public well if we could have/share in that ability to cancel with no deposit loss, etc etc etc

Like I said at the end of the day this thread is only about what we would like to see not the reality of it.

I agree with many of your thoughts in your post and also agree that this is a "wishful thinking" kinda post ;)

However, in relation to the highlighted part above, though this is something that I would wish for, it must be borne in mind that the policies we have in the UK of losing deposits if we need to cancel after booking are true for whatever type of holiday we book - whether it is a wet weekend in Wales (no offence, Wales, you were the first "W" that came to mind :D) or a 3 month world cruise! Therefore, I don't really think that this is something that Princess could / would do differently to anyone else...

I think I answered it adequately. It comes down to governments' taxation of businesses. I don't think you have all your facts correct about the cruise lines and how they operate...Your analysis won't be correct until your basic assumptions are corrected

The main Carnival brand (ie the same legal entities that operate the Princess brand) sells US market prices via US travel agents to UK residents. Princess and Carnival are separate companies. The umbrella corporation is the same but they operate independently. Carnival does not have a UK infrastructure so there is no way the UK government can pursue a case against Carnival. Princess has a large presence in the UK and could be the object of retaliatory action if trade policies are violated..

Carnival plc has a definite Uk infrastructure. http://www.carnivalukgroup.com/

Carnival cruise and Princess cruise also have UK headquarters so I do nto see why you say that there is a difference.

I agree with many of your thoughts in your post and also agree that this is a "wishful thinking" kinda post

However, in relation to the highlighted part above, though this is something that I would wish for, it must be borne in mind that the policies we have in the UK of losing deposits if we need to cancel after booking are true for whatever type of holiday we book - whether it is a wet weekend in Wales (no offence, Wales, you were the first "W" that came to mind ) or a 3 month world cruise! Therefore, I don't really think that this is something that Princess could / would do differently to anyone else...

:D:D hehehehe your quite right - but I have spent an overnight business trip to Wales (Cardiff ) booked direct for me by the company - the invoice sent to me said that I could cancel with no loss of any (yes ANY) of the booking price right up till 2pm on the day of arrival- this wasnt company specific policy because I googled the hotel before I left and it wasnt a coporate booking - as the general public would have this done if they also booked direct!

So yes you are right it is a "UK" TA holiday thing on all bookings - but then so are the insurances attached to those same bookings being compulsory (unless you chugged across the channel on a ferry and made a land based crossing to your destination - then you could book on the hop and not incure those wicked non refundable deposits in Europe :eek: :D:D:D and I an't that brave!!!! but heaps of people I know do do this - get in the car and drive across Europe booking as they go!

:D:D hehehehe your quite right - but I have spent an overnight business trip to Wales (Cardiff ) booked direct for me by the company - the invoice sent to me said that I could cancel with no loss of any (yes ANY) of the booking price right up till 2pm on the day of arrival- this wasnt company specific policy because I googled the hotel before I left and it wasnt a coporate booking - as the general public would have this done if they also booked direct!

So yes you are right it is a "UK" TA holiday thing on all bookings - but then so are the insurances attached to those same bookings being compulsory (unless you chugged across the channel on a ferry and made a land based crossing to your destination - then you could book on the hop and not incure those wicked non refundable deposits in Europe :eek: :D and I an't that brave!!!! but heaps of people I know do do this - get in the car and drive across Europe booking as they go!

Of course - you are correct, too ;) For short hotel breaks that you book directly, you can often cancel up to a certain cut off point without being charged, depending on how you booked (i.e. some cheap internet deals are non-refundable and the payment is taken from your card at the time you book rather than when you check out). I was thinking more of "package" holidays sold by TAs or through the holiday companies themselves.

Hi All,

Overall I have only a few requirements of Princess

Release cruises for sale on the same date world wide.

A world wide internet based booking system same conditions prices world wide,

Would still allow different prices, deals through TA.s due to local consumer

laws etc.

The chance to buy all inclusive, which would give you a limited number

of passes to spa, steak house etc, as at the end of the day there is only

a limited number of places each day.

yours Shogun

I would agree

I strongly agree! I, too, have just been unceremoniously ousted from the services of the Houston agency whom I have happily used for years, because Princess arbitrarily decided to enforce their policy of no international clients for US agencies;quote]

Could I please ask you - did you have a valid provable address in US you had been using?

I only ask because though I am not a US citizen I live in US in my own home there a lot of the year -

Am I going to be blacklisted by Princess USA because I have different citizenship?

Never been a problem before but now I am extremely worried.

I strongly agree! I, too, have just been unceremoniously ousted from the services of the Houston agency whom I have happily used for years, because Princess arbitrarily decided to enforce their policy of no international clients for US agencies;quote]

Could I please ask you - did you have a valid provable address in US you had been using?

I only ask because though I am not a US citizen I live in US in my own home there a lot of the year -

Am I going to be blacklisted by Princess USA because I have different citizenship?

Never been a problem before but now I am extremely worried.

You will have absolutely no problem as it works on your place of residence and not your citizenship.

You will have absolutely no problem as it works on your place of residence and not your citizenship.

Not quite true. I am a US citizen but non-resident, with no US address to give. Aboard ship, the Future Cruise salesperson was not going to be able to give us the "book now and get $100 deposit" rate until we pointed out we were US citizens - US Passports listed with Princess. That made it all OK. It seems we fit into some rules and not others - what we can do when we log into princess.com is a total mess! . SIGH.

Not quite true. I am a US citizen but non-resident, with no US address to give. Aboard ship, the Future Cruise salesperson was not going to be able to give us the "book now and get $100 deposit" rate until we pointed out we were US citizens - US Passports listed with Princess. That made it all OK. It seems we fit into some rules and not others - what we can do when we log into princess.com is a total mess! . SIGH.

On board is a different matter, I was referring solely to the initial booking process which does not discriminate through citizenship, merely residence.

You think you have a mess about Future Cruises!

I just looked at our letter we received on board Grand Princess on our recent Transatlantic and see it is addressed to our cabin number, C632, but they have our names listed as Mr and Mrs Gossman. That ain't us!

If you know who they are please put them in touch with us.

Time to call Princess next week I guess. Took so long time to get the last fiasco sorted out that they had to send us a proper check for our credit as the cruise we tried to use it on was long gone.

Archived