DREAM "I think we just hit a deer"

OSUKNIGHT

We've been on cruises before and noticed the same thing. DH and I would look at each other and say "think that was a whale?":(

That's exactly what I would say to DH when we were on our Mar. 20th sailing! We were in cabin 11219 and one night it was really loud that it woke me from my sleep...it felt like something hit the ship! Overall though, it didn't keep me awake but it did wake me several times. :(

We were in 11217 on the Dream leaving 3/27 and yes the noise was loud and strange. We definitely heard it for the first 3 days both during the day and at night. It did go away as the cruise went on however I do agree that this was the most movement I've ever felt on a ship. This was our 11th cruise and one of our past cruises was with a tropical storm in the gulf.

Cindy

We were in 11217 on the Dream leaving 3/27 and yes the noise was loud and strange. We definitely heard it for the first 3 days both during the day and at night. It did go away as the cruise went on however I do agree that this was the most movement I've ever felt on a ship. This was our 11th cruise and one of our past cruises was with a tropical storm in the gulf.

Cindy

Do you know if it was a deer? :confused:

We were on the Feb. 27 sailing of Dream and my daughter would refer to the motion of cresting the wave and suddenly dropping as hitting ocras. We noticed that movement in our forward cabins on the second floor especially on our two at sea days. In all fairest, it was windy on those two days. We got used to the motion and stilled loved our cruise. BTW, if you ever go over to the thread about the Oasis of the Seas, you'll read about how that ship has rocking motions even on calm days.

It was the waves hitting the bow. It's totally normal and no danger to the ship. I actually find it calming most of the time. I work on ships for a living so I'm just really used to the sounds and the motion.

Hey OSUKnight, did you end up getting any pic's of your room that you can post? Other than the noise, how was the room? Did the noise keep you awake at night? Hope this was the only downfall of your trip!

Yes we have some pics of 11201. I'll have to get them tonight. The room felt like a hotel room and not a cabin. Bathroom is large with no step up. The room is designed for a wheelchair, so plenty of space. The wife loved the spa access, well worth it.

Just back from the Dream, Eastern Caribbean, 3/27/10. On our first, second, and third day we kept hearing a loud crashing noise against the bow. One night CD Todd Wittmer was at the Encore Theater hosting a show and said, "I think we just hit a deer" :eek: to everyone in the theatre when we heard the sound. I thought he was right on the money since I once hit a deer growing up in Ohio. Once we got to St. Thomas we never heard it again the rest of the week. I don't know if it was a stabilizer issue? I did notice it only happened when we were traveling 22 knots and the wind was on the port side.

It was really obvious in our stateroom 11201, which is fwd.

If anyone else was on this cruise feel free to comment or does anyone have any opinions?

We were on the Jubilee in the Pacific, in the main show lounge, where the CD was talking.

All of a sudden, there was a loud THUD, like we hit something.

Without a flinch, the CD says, "Oh well, those small ships do get in our way sometimes."

Brought the house down.

What bait was he using? You don't usually catch deer on shrimp or squid, but maybe the guy was using corn!

Also, did the guy measure the deer? If it was too small, he should have tossed it back in.

OMG! I almost spit out my coffee!!!

We were on the Jubilee in the Pacific, in the main show lounge, where the CD was talking.

All of a sudden, there was a loud THUD, like we hit something.

Without a flinch, the CD says, "Oh well, those small ships do get in our way sometimes."

Brought the house down.

Now THAT was funny!!!

• 8 months later...
Just back from the Dream, Eastern Caribbean, 3/27/10. On our first, second, and third day we kept hearing a loud crashing noise against the bow. One night CD Todd Wittmer was at the Encore Theater hosting a show and said, "I think we just hit a deer" :eek: to everyone in the theatre when we heard the sound. I thought he was right on the money since I once hit a deer growing up in Ohio. Once we got to St. Thomas we never heard it again the rest of the week. I don't know if it was a stabilizer issue? I did notice it only happened when we were traveling 22 knots and the wind was on the port side.

It was really obvious in our stateroom 11201, which is fwd.

If anyone else was on this cruise feel free to comment or does anyone have any opinions?

I am looking to book this room and have some questions. I just sent you a friend request. Please contact me to answer a couple questions.

The "just hit a deer" joke is a regular one for Todd as best I can tell (we got the same line in March and it is pretty funny when he says it--seems this ship takes the water off the bow differently and this must be a usual joke for him to use)

I was in a Spa cabin and have to say that the feel of that particular cabin and on the ship in general seemed to be more "jerky" than other ships. We regularly felt like we had "hit" something..so I assume it was just the way the waves were hitting the bow.

And deer do swim...I have a picture of a herd of them swimming across a cove near the large recreational lake. It is pretty cool to see.

I bet they hit a female whale, or a pack of female dolphins. They seem to be attracted to the sonar hump in front of the ship that looks like if the ship is excited...:p

LOL! But that's not a sonar hump, it's a "bulbous bow", and is designed to reduce drag.

He said the same thing during our January cruise, at that time the weather was not very good and the water got kind of rough. I'm sure he was just trying to be funny and distract you from the rough seas.

I think the OP just thought it was a cute joke. Id say it was a big wave hitting the bow, which can be heard up front in the theater .. the OP was just cracking a joke.

Both whales and dolphins have built-in sonar systems and they know better than to be hit by a ship...so it must have been a deer :p

On my Celebrity Horizon cruise (Western Caribbean), I thought we had hit a sandbar (middle of the night). They reversed the engines or thrusters (something noisy) and the ship shuddered. Of course I thought that, since we had run aground, I should prepare to evacuate LOL. It turned out that the Horizon lost a stabilizer and the remainder of the cruise was a wild ride.

Must have been a very large deer since that ship in the Pacific (I think it was a RCCL ship) arrived in port and had more or less speared a whale. Nobody had any idea that it had happened until they arrived in port and someone saw it on the front of the ship. So, much have been a large school of very very large deerfish.

Just back from the Dream, Eastern Caribbean, 3/27/10. On our first, second, and third day we kept hearing a loud crashing noise against the bow. One night CD Todd Wittmer was at the Encore Theater hosting a show and said, "I think we just hit a deer" :eek: to everyone in the theatre when we heard the sound.

Different ship, different cruise line, different itinerary...SAME experience. At 3AM I said to my friend, "I think we keep hitting buildings out here!" It was so LOUD and actually scary except that the captain obviously wasn't worried because we kept going! I too wonder what that was. :eek:

Archived