United Way Nov. 29, 2009 Cruise - Fair Market Value for Inside Cabin?

Cruiser Mary

Can anyone help me, please? I purchased 2 inside cabins aboard the Oasis of the Seas 1-night cruise to benefit the United Way of Brevard County. The cost was $1,000 per cabin, for a total of $2,000.

I have been trying for the last month to find someone at the United Way who can tell me the estimated fair market value of this cruise. I have been in contact with 4 people, whose responses range from "you can deduct the entire amount paid" to "you should just contact your tax advisor" to "the value of your cruise was $2,000, so you can deduct nothing". This was a 1-night cruise to nowhere. It was not worth $1,000 per cabin. It was an inside cabin.

We were also on the Make-a-Wish Foundation Naming Ceremony cruise the night after this one. Royal Caribbean issued that tax deductible receipt and the fair market value was $623 per cabin, for balcony cabins.

How can I determine the value of the United Way cruise? It is obviously not as high as the naming ceremony cruise, because of all the celebrities and hoopla.

Thanks very much. I'm losing patience with the United Way. A week ago, I contacted the person at RCCL who issued the tax letter for the Make-a-Wish cruise. She apologized and said she would contact the United Way to see if she could get an answer and I have heard nothing more. My guess is she cannot get them to respond either.

I would have researched this BEFORE I cruised. A look at the website at what the cabins were selling for...print out the screen, deduct from what you paid...But your only hope now is United Way or someone at RCI who can tell you what the cabins llisted for...Or finding someone who went on the cruise who was not in your United Way group. I assume they did not charter the ship for one night? EM

I believe any charitable organization is required to provide, in writing, a letter to a contributor when they give $250 or more to the organization. If a portion of the $1,000 you paid is considered a charitable contribution to United Way, they should have given you a letter stating the amount that is considered charity and the amount considered 'in exchange for goods/services'.

Call your contact at United Way and tell them you need that letter.

I believe any charitable organization is required to provide, in writing, a letter to a contributor when they give $250 or more to the organization. If a portion of the $1,000 you paid is considered a charitable contribution to United Way, they should have given you a letter stating the amount that is considered charity and the amount considered 'in exchange for goods/services'.

Call your contact at United Way and tell them you need that letter.

I agree and that is exactly what I have been doing. It was an entire boat full of charity cruisers. I can't believe no one else has had this problem. The United Way should know the value of those cabins.

I would have researched this BEFORE I cruised. A look at the website at what the cabins were selling for...print out the screen, deduct from what you paid...But your only hope now is United Way or someone at RCI who can tell you what the cabins llisted for...Or finding someone who went on the cruise who was not in your United Way group. I assume they did not charter the ship for one night? EM

For a normal cruise, I agree, but the cruise line was not selling cabins for this cruise. This cruise was a special 1-night charity cruise which occurred before cruises on the vessel were officially for sale. I have nothing with which to compare it. I looked at the ship's schedule to see if it will ever do a 1-nighter cruise, but it only will do one 5 night and the rest 7 nights. If I have to, I will take some random 5 and 7 night cruises, figure the per night cost and use that. I should not have to do that though! :mad:

You have a point though, about finding someone who was not with my group. When I checked in, they asked me if I was with the United Way or the Red Cross. I searched for info from the Red Cross and found nothing. I was just grasping, hoping someone out there knew the answer.

Thanks for your reply!

I agree and that is exactly what I have been doing. It was an entire boat full of charity cruisers. I can't believe no one else has had this problem. The United Way should know the value of those cabins.

Well when you contact the United Way, mention to them that IRS Publication 526, Charitable Contributions, page 4 states the following:

Written Statement. A qualified organization must give you a written statement if you make a payment to it that is more than $75 and is partly a contribution and partly for goods or services. The statement must tell you that you can deduct only the amount of your payment that is more than the value of the goods or services you received. It must also give you a good faith estimate of the value of those goods or services.

The organization can give you the statement either when it solicits or when it receives the payment from you.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

Archived