afternoon tea

smudgie

I have heard that you only get to have afternoon tea on the ships if you book a suite...is this true?

You can have tea delivered to your stateroom if you are in a suite ... perhaps this is what you heard? Otherwise, tea in the dining room is open for everyone.

On the Dawn Princess, based in Australian waters catering to a largely Aussie passenger base, one can get (hot) tea from room service any time for no charge. (Tea bags and a jug of hot water, milk, sugar/sweeteners etc. And/or coffee, and/or milk.) I've no idea if (hot) tea is available in other markets, or if this (like I suspect the proliferation of tea bags at the buffet drink station is) is part of the "Australianisation" of the Dawn since she moved out here.

"Afternoon tea" is served everyday 3:30 to 4:30 in one of the dining rooms, open to all and included in the price of your cruise. Waiters bring around tea, coffee, scones with jam/cream, various pastries, small savoury sandwiches, etc. Very nice indeed!

It sounds a little imposing to DH and he usually has something else he needs to do so I often go alone. They usually try to seat people together at larger tables unless you ask for a table just for your party. It is a great opportunity to meet other travelers. BTW coffee is also available. The food served is a wonderful interlude especially if you have late dining. It is especially nice if you are in a colder climate such as Alaska. I remember coming in from glacier watching to warm up and "tea" really did the job.

For the very first time we thought we would try this and since we had a rear cabin we liked the idea of having it on the balcony. It was very nice. No wind at the stern. Lovely tea, sandwiches, scones with clotted cream, and pastries. Lots of calories and photos. A very pleasant time until we we rose to get ready for dinner and discovered that the room service person had locked the balcony door. It did take a few minutes before our next balcony neigbours came out and called security for us.

I clearly have to tip more;)!

I have been to several Afternoon teas on Celebrity. But haven't been to any on my Princess cruises. Is there a dress code, like on Celebrity to go to it?

There is no dress code for Afternoon tea other than no swim suits/robes/pajamas

For the very first time we thought we would try this and since we had a rear cabin we liked the idea of having it on the balcony. It was very nice. No wind at the stern. Lovely tea, sandwiches, scones with clotted cream, and pastries. Lots of calories and photos. A very pleasant time until we we rose to get ready for dinner and discovered that the room service person had locked the balcony door. It did take a few minutes before our next balcony neigbours came out and called security for us.

I clearly have to tip more;)!

That's too funny......I'm glad your neighbors were available to help.

I ordered afternoon tea to surprise DH, and I was surprised. Two room service guys came

in with trays stacked high with a veritable banquet! Then we had to turn around and

go to early seating! I did my best with it, though. It was all delicious. I'm a big fan of

scones and clotted cream, especially when someone else makes them.

Mimi

On the Golden last month, the Horizon Court also had scones with cream and jam every afternoon. So if you don't want to sit down and be waited on in the dining room, check the HC. There was also a self serve Afternoon Tea on the Sea Princess when we sailed on her.

Archived