Once in for all - The Smell ?

southbayer

In my 11 cruises I have taken, I have never, EVER, smelled any sewage on any ship.... But now we have people sayin there is a smell coming from two of carnivals brand new ships Splendor and Dream!

I have to say, if its true, IF, then why doesn't the crew fix that situation, I can't believe that they leave it like that.

So, am I alone in this ?

A few of the restrooms on the Legend smelled like sewage, but not in our room. At first I thought the bathroom by the Follies lounge smelled bad because, well a lot of people maybe stopped by from the dining room on their way to the shows and took care of business :eek:, but later I encountered the same smell in less well used restrooms. We got a note during one of the port days that they would be working on the plumbing for several hours.

Maybe Carnival should call all the passengers going on the Dream to bring a bottle of Beano and when you first get to your room, flush 5 down the drain, then repeat this every morning, that way the ship does not have an upset belly and wont have to pass gas.

You know I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my nose. I have never smelled anything bad on any ship I've been on . . . including the Dream. Don't get me wrong . . . I can smell the food a mile away and it always smells yummy. :p

I believe if everyone wraps their doody before flushing, the issue will go away. It's a bonus for those that can issue it pre wrapped.

All that rich food.....even I offend myself sometimes.

I think it's a design flaw...it's happened somewhere, on every cruise I've been on....sometimes, it's fleeting...sometimes, it lingers....

And if it's really strong, it is nauseating...cologne won't help! Keeping the drains closed (if it happens in your cabin) will help.

You'd smell sewer gas in your house all the time too if it constantly rocked and rolled with the waves. The system essentially works the same way but the motion allows air pockets to form on occasion. The big difference is the ship's system should have valves that prevent backflow but with excessive motion, those air pockets could move past the valves and then back into residential areas. When the bubble pops, you get your sewage smell. Thats why you get the smell occasionally on all ships, on all lines. My BIG theory on why the newer ships have it reported more is 2 parts, first, it may be possible that the seals on the valves take time to settle to function properly and so it just takes time for proper function to occur and second, and probably much more importantly, people go onto a new ship expecting no problems and for that "new ship" smell. ANYTHING that goes wrong (like all the long line complaints on Dream) or any off smells and OMG THE WORLD IS GOING TO END THE SHIP IS HORRIBLE!!! ;):rolleyes:

Last month we were on deck 2 forward port side on the Splendor. When walking to the aft to get to the dining room stairs, we would walk right smack dab into it. It was about mid ship. I knew when it was coming, and would hold my breath through it. I did wonder if the people in those cabins near the aroma could smell it. It was nasty, but you just walked through it and it was gone. No big deal as long as I didn't have it outside my cabin door LOL

In my 11 cruises I have taken, I have never, EVER, smelled any sewage on any ship.... But now we have people sayin there is a smell coming from two of carnivals brand new ships Splendor and Dream!

I have to say, if its true, IF, then why doesn't the crew fix that situation, I can't believe that they leave it like that.

So, am I alone in this ?

I have smelled the sewage odor on several ships, Carnival and RCI. Its not a huge issue, but it does exist. In most cases it has been faint and sporadic. It's almost always in the cabin area hallways, but I have smelled it in other areas very infrequently.

My theory is that it probably happens on ALL ships to a certain extent, obviously some more than others. I think that it may be the passenger's perception of it that varies. Some may not notice it as much, if at all. Some may just be lucky enough to never detect it. In either case, I think it is an issue that gets waaaaaaay too much attention. Things like that should be expected when dealing with such a complicated sewage system that runs through the walls and floor only a few inches from the guests.

So, am I alone in this ?

IF?

Bill

Just got off the Dream. Walked Deck 2 one time when at a port. Smelled the smell midship. That was the only time.

However, on every cruise we've gone on, we've always experienced an onion smell near the stairwells. There was none of that this cruise - it struck DH and I at the same time. "Hey, no onion smell!"

Maybe Carnival should call all the passengers going on the Dream to bring a bottle of Beano and when you first get to your room, flush 5 down the drain, then repeat this every morning, that way the ship does not have an upset belly and wont have to pass gas.

LMAO:p

I had a whiff of sewer smell on Liberty back in Feb 13 sailing. At first I noticed in our cabin, it was a very faint smell. once we got in the hallway you could really smell it. The next time we were back to the cabin it was gone and never smelled it again. Just the one time.

Archived