online booking of first cruise

jwright98

I've done tons of research, settled on the cruise, but I'm confused by the different "special offers" or "bonuses" some sites offer. Some offer "free trip insurance", which I am going to avoid because I want to buy our own; and "free prepaid gratuities", which seems to cover paying the gratuities for us for the duration of the cruise". Some offer no bonuses at all, some offer a coupon book. The "free prepaid gratuities" seems to be the best deal, but does anyone have any experience with this? The cruise price itself is pretty much the same everywhere. Any recommendations? I looked at the list of agencies on CC's website, and at least one offers the prepaid gratuities. Any information or comments would be helpful!

Part of the difference can be port charges and taxes. You will have to price each option and make sure nothing is left out.

I would go to a local TA (I usualy book directly with the cruise line) and tell them you are shopping and this is what you want. Then ask for any suggestions. Then compair their price to what you found and give them a chance to meet the price if you find a better price.

Some agencies belong to travel consortiums like Ensemble or Virtuoso, and they tend to give the best perks, such as on board credit, paid gratuities, a free shore excursion and an on board party with free drinks. You don't get any of those things when you book directly with a travel agent. See if any local agencies in your town is associated with either of those two, and then begin talking price.

Be very careful and read the fine print. Some online agencies will charge a fee if yu hae to cancel. Some will promise onboard credit (OBC), prepaid gratuities, etc. but if/when yu find a price drop in your cruise fare that you are eligible for, they might do the paperwork for you and get yu the drop, but remove some of the perks, because their commission is now less. I would never book my first cruise with an online agency. Not even with the cruise line. I have a wonderful TA who takes good care of me. EM

I also suggest at least talking to a TA. You don't have to commit with them just to get info, but they are thinking about you and the big picture. Not only the cruise, but transportation to and fro, insurance, excursions and some of them have actually been on that paticular cruise or port and can give some really great ideas. :)

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=deniecey2&date=10-17-2010&text=Married in 2002 but this is our first honeymoon&ship=Carnival Pride

Anyone have any ideas on Carnival Pride perks and where to get the best perks online? We are going on our first real honeymoon on Pride in October.. we are about to book.. any help and ideas are welcome.

DML

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=deniecey2&date=10-17-2010&text=Married in 2002 but this is our first honeymoon&ship=Carnival Pride

Anyone have any ideas on Carnival Pride perks and where to get the best perks online? We are going on our first real honeymoon on Pride in October.. we are about to book.. any help and ideas are welcome.

DML

Sorry, but it is against the posting rules to name travel agents or agencies so we can't tell you where to find the best perks. Shop around and look at lots of agencies.

I have had great service from dealing directly with the cruise line. I use online agencies for other travel services but prefer to book cruises directly. I haven't noticed a huge difference in price when I have checked other sites. Also, I have been able to go back to the cruise consultant and make changes that would have been difficult if not impossible otherwise. But they were able to work with me.

diane

Archived