Royal Caribbean Adventure Ocean and Potty trained toddler

eternityplusone

How strict is Royal Caribbean about the 3 year olds being fully potty trained to go into Adventure Ocean? We are going on a cruise in a month and my 3 year old just doesn't want to be potty trained yet. I'm going to be really upset if she can't go into Adventure Ocean - mostly because I know she will be really upset if she finds out it exists and she can't go. We don't ever plan on leaving her on the ship while we're at port. We only want to use it for an hour or so a day so she can get a break from the adults and be a kid. Any chance they'll let her in if I come back every 30 minutes and check her diaper?

They don't allow adults into AO (except to drop off and pick-up)...and all kids have to be able to handle ALL aspects of toileting....pants up and down, zips, buttons....everything. The staff will do nothing "potty-related" and if they see a diaper, I'd bet they won't allow her in.

Have you tried NOT putting a diaper on her? Sometimes, kids really HATE getting wet and that might help her desire to train.

RCI does have in-cabin babysitting, so even if AO is out, you can hire someone to give you a bit of "adult" time.

No diapers allowed in Adventure Ocean. Children must be allowed to go to the potty completely by themselves, including pulling down and up, wiping and washing hands. The counselors do not remind them to go either.

How strict is Royal Caribbean about the 3 year olds being fully potty trained to go into Adventure Ocean? We are going on a cruise in a month and my 3 year old just doesn't want to be potty trained yet. I'm going to be really upset if she can't go into Adventure Ocean - mostly because I know she will be really upset if she finds out it exists and she can't go. We don't ever plan on leaving her on the ship while we're at port. We only want to use it for an hour or so a day so she can get a break from the adults and be a kid. Any chance they'll let her in if I come back every 30 minutes and check her diaper?

Don't be upset with Rccl,......be upset with yourself for not potty training your daughter:confused:.

Don't be upset with Rccl,......be upset with yourself for not potty training your daughter:confused:.

Wow, that was really rude. I never said I was upset with RC. Just curious if they were strict about their policies as I've learned that many of the cruise lines are not. And I have tried multiple times to potty train her - she is a very smart but extremely laid back kid. She just not ready and some kids aren't. She doesn't turn 3 until this summer so it's really not a huge deal. Perhaps it would serve you well to not be so judgemental about others.

Unfortunately...no diapers in AO.

Our son will only be two and a half, so AO wasn't even on our radar. We're still working on the potty training, and having the peeing down to a fine art, its the other that is causing the problem on our end. So we are packing flushable wipes and pullups!

Good luck and happy cruising!

Unfortunately...no diapers in AO.

Our son will only be two and a half, so AO wasn't even on our radar. We're still working on the potty training, and having the peeing down to a fine art, its the other that is causing the problem on our end. So we are packing flushable wipes and pullups!

Good luck and happy cruising!

Don't flush the wipes!!!

Wow, that was really rude. I never said I was upset with RC. Just curious if they were strict about their policies as I've learned that many of the cruise lines are not. And I have tried multiple times to potty train her - she is a very smart but extremely laid back kid. She just not ready and some kids aren't. She doesn't turn 3 until this summer so it's really not a huge deal. Perhaps it would serve you well to not be so judgemental about others.

If she doesn't turn 3 until summer and your cruise is in a month, then there is no issue - if she's not 3, she can't go regardless of whether she is trained or not. Also, unless you are on Freedom class or Oasis, she will also not be permitted in any of the pools if not trained.

Not being judgmental at all - but maybe you could use the cruise as a "carrot" to get her more into training.

Why not flush the wipes? They are 'flushable wipes'.

Is there a reason?

My plumber friend complains a lot about flushable wipes.

Sure, they're small, and "flushable", but they don't disintegrate in water like toilet paper does... and they inevitably lead to a clog in the system.

Try it, take a wad of Charmin, and a couple flushable wipes.

Put the Charmin in a tub of water and swirl it around... stuff turns to goo.

Do that with the flushable wipes... swirl it around... you have flushable wipes.

A cruise ship's septic system is nothing like a land based system. Fresh water conservation (or gray water) is key... especially since you can't have ocean water in the septic system rusting everything out... Flushable wipes would cause a big, big, problem.

I've been on Disney when there was non-stop septic problems... and lemme tell you.

Misery is a cruise ship toilet that don't flush... for DAYS

Is there a reason?

I think some products that are advertised as "flushable" will damage some types of plumbing systems. Camp toilets, chemical toilets, some septic-tank systems ... and yes, cruise-ship toilets. Things like tampon applicators and wipes that could be flushed in ordinary systems will gum up the works on a ship. And then you get the flooding, the big fan to dry the carpet, and all of that fun stuff.

Better to drop the wipes in the wastebasket (wrapping them with toilet paper first if they're especially grody).

Not just "potty trained" but the terminology used at AO is "100% potty self sulficient". And no, no pull ups.

How could she learn that it exists if you don't tell her?

And frankly, I would use Adventure Ocean to an advantage. If she wants to go to Adventure Ocean badly enough then maybe she would potty train. Many parents here use that as the "dangling carrot"

So don't get angry at the policy. Use the policy as a training aid. Tell her that no pull ups means she can go to Adventure Ocean. If she is wearing pull ups then she can't go.

She will be 3 by the cruise. Sorry, to me summer starts in a few weeks with everything we have going on. That was a bit confusing. She will definitely be old enough for Adventure Ocean. The point I was trying to make to the really rude poster was that it's not like she's 4 or that it's rediciulous that she isn't potty trained yet.

Is there a reason?

Don't do it! Take it from me, the toilets can not handle what land-based systems can, so no "flushable" tampons, wipes, etc. It will become a big problem for you in your cabin, and possibly also for passengers in the cabins around you. They must be thrown in the trash.

Best,

Mia

I think that was a pretty mean thing to say! Having had five kids, it's been my experience that kids basically potty train themselves when THEY are ready, even with encouragement and positive "training" and reinforcement. I think YOU are the one who's confused.

Hi from the rude poster, Perhaps it would serve you well if you took the diaper off your daughter. Tell her that three year old don't pee their pants. If you would stop making excuses for her she would be toilet trained now:eek: I'm not being judgmental, I'm just stating the obvious :D

She will be 3 by the cruise. Sorry, to me summer starts in a few weeks with everything we have going on. That was a bit confusing. She will definitely be old enough for Adventure Ocean. The point I was trying to make to the really rude poster was that it's not like she's 4 or that it's rediciulous that she isn't potty trained yet.

Please refer to the post by cruisinmama06 who included the actual Adventure Ocean policy. That's pretty much the way it is, even at age 3. I also think that the post by above sea level cruiser was rude. Some kids just need more time than others.

Hi from the rude poster, Perhaps it would serve you well if you took the diaper off your daughter. Tell her that three year old don't pee their pants. If you would stop making excuses for her she would be toilet trained now:eek: I'm not being judgmental, I'm just stating the obvious :D

Your posts are really offensive. Her daughter isn't even three years old yet. I'm just stating the obvious.

Some kids just need more time than others.

You are exactly right. :D They each have their own time tables.

My oldest daughter is the smartest child I know (yes I am totally biased). When she was 3, she used every excuse in the book to keep using pull ups. She sounded like a trial attorney. She wanted to use pull ups and she would present a 40 minute disertation on why it was ok for her to continue to use pull ups at age 3. At about 3 years, 3 months, we finally convinced her to get rid of the pull ups.

My youngest was a child who could barely speak at age 3. Now at age 5 she goes to both speech and occupational therapy. However, she self-trained herself just shy of 2 years old. I went to get her up from a nap -- she was wearing nothing (she took off a diaper during her nap) and she refused to wear a diaper again.

So what I learned -- we have NOTHING to do with these kids and their training. ;) They have their own schedule. They will train when they want to train.

We can beg. We can promise Adventure Ocean. We can promise the H20 zone (she can't wear swimmies in there either :eek: ) But they will all train when they are good and ready.

Sorry, but AO is exquisitely strict with the policy.

For future reference - and future kids - Norwegian and Carnival allow diapers in the kids' clubs (and take kids a year earlier, at 2, too). Carnival will change diapers for you, Norwegian will give you a pager and you have to come back to change it yourself.

Sorry, but AO is exquisitely strict with the policy.

For future reference - and future kids - Norwegian and Carnival allow diapers in the kids' clubs (and take kids a year earlier, at 2, too). Carnival will change diapers for you, Norwegian will give you a pager and you have to come back to change it yourself.

She still does have the option of using in cabin sitting (starts at 12 months). And can still participate in the Royal Toddler program with her child (runs 6 months - 36 months) - but she can join in if her daughter isn't potty trained in time.

Normally I don't get into this on any boards, but as the parent of 3 young kids I just have to respond with WOW--you are incredibly rude. And ignorant. And yes, you ARE incredibly judgemental.

Both my girls self-trained at 3 (woke up one day ready and never looked back). No amount of training, bribing, etc. worked until they were ready, and the best thing to do is just back off until they are (what toddler needs that kind of pressure from a parent?). My youngest is 11 months today so no clue what his potty training (or more appropriately, potty learning) will be like.

Being in diapers at nearly 3, and being laid back about potty training is perfectly normal.

The original poster never said she was upset at RC, just trying to understand the policy.

It was worth it to captcha and log in for this one....:rolleyes:

Yes, you are being rude and judgmental with (all) your (previous) posts.

Perhaps you should (seriously) consider that all kids are different (you might not understand this, or believe it, but it is the gosh, darn truth!) and that your own personal experiences and successes do not (necessarily) apply to the entire human race.

What worked for you, what you read in a book, what your pediatrician advised you of, doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

As well, I read your post and I think that your approach to potty training would devastate a young child's self esteem. That opinion is not a certainty, but a definitely possibility.

Perhaps it would behoove you to consider phrasing your "advice" in the form of questions - such as "have you considered just putting her in panties and letting the chips fall where they may?" "do you think it would it help if you started telling your 3 yo that big girls don't pee their pants?" and "after all, you definitely don't want to end up enabling her to continue using a diaper, right?"

Words stated in the form of questions just come off as so much less powerful and offensive.

Just something to consider....a kinder, gentler, more well rounded approach.

She still does have the option of using in cabin sitting (starts at 12 months). And can still participate in the Royal Toddler program with her child (runs 6 months - 36 months) - but she can join in if her daughter isn't potty trained in time.

I love your restraint ;)

Part of me envies it, another part of me refuses to allow me to sit on the bench :D

I could only imagine what I would have done if I were in my 20's during the 60's.....

Lol, for that matter, it almost scares me to think of what I would have "done" if I was in my 20's during the 70's :D;):cool:

Archived