Shadow menus or favorite dishes

Travelingsoon

In anticipation of our upcoming June 17th Alaskan cruise it would be great to see some menus from past cruises or maybe some of you seasoned Shadow cruisers would be willing to share your favorite dishes from previous voyages?

I am really enjoying this message board and the anticipation is building as I read your posts. Thanks to advice I received on a prior post, I have already bought a new pair of binoculars that will be easier to carry from place to place as we search for wildlife.

The menus are great, but occasionally, I am in the mood for something "off-menu". Although it is not written on the menu anymore, you can always order a steak, salmon or chicken done pretty much the way you want it (within reason). My favorite was a filet with three sauces: mushroom, Bordelaise and Bernaise served separately. Simply wonderful. My favorite menu item is probably the osso buco, but there have been so many over the years! By far, my favorite desserts are in La Terrazza at lunch time.

Enjoy - bon appetit or buon appetito!

My favorite was a filet with three sauces: mushroom, Bordelaise and Bernaise served separately. Simply wonderful. My favorite menu item is probably the osso buco, but there have been so many over the years! By far, my favorite desserts are in La Terrazza at lunch time.

Enjoy - bon appetit or buon appetito!

THANKS for the super great idea on the sauces with the filet! I copied and put that into my computer file in planning for our July 1-16 Silver Cloud cruise along the Norway Coast. In my file, you had earlier suggested: "filet mignon, which you can get any night you want with no pre-ordering, with their standard three sauces - Bernaise, mushroom, and cracked pepper - served on the side." So . . . which three are your top sauce choices??? Best ones, in what order did you love the most? Reactions from others on their favorite sauces?

Just checking. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS for the super great idea on the sauces with the filet! I copied and put that into my computer file in planning for our July 1-16 Silver Cloud cruise along the Norway Coast. In my file, you had earlier suggested: "filet mignon, which you can get any night you want with no pre-ordering, with their standard three sauces - Bernaise, mushroom, and cracked pepper - served on the side." So . . . which three are your top sauce choices??? Best ones, in what order did you love the most? Reactions from others on their favorite sauces?

Just checking. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Oops - now I'm not totally sure about the sauces. The mushroom is probably my favorite, and if I said cracked pepper the first time then that is probably what it was not the Bordelaise. Sorry - that was on the Alaska cruise last fall - and my memory is not that great these days. The chef was Ricardo Dotti on that cruise. However, if there is a special sauce that you want, just ask for it a day in advance, and they will have it for you. The filet is one of the best I've ever had anywhere!

Oops - now I'm not totally sure about the sauces. The mushroom is probably my favorite, and if I said cracked pepper the first time then that is probably what it was not the Bordelaise. Sorry - that was on the Alaska cruise last fall - and my memory is not that great these days. The chef was Ricardo Dotti on that cruise. However, if there is a special sauce that you want, just ask for it a day in advance, and they will have it for you. The filet is one of the best I've ever had anywhere!

From duct tape: We do get tired of the food occasionally and pre-order comfort food: French roast Kosher chicken, mashed potatoes and peas!

THANKS for the added dining delight ideas! Very helpful and mouth-watering. Since this will be our first time on Silversea, the menus I've seen do seem a little narrow. But the ability to specialize the filet, order 24-hours ahead, etc., give added options. Keep the great ideas rolling in. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We do get tired of the food occasionally and pre-order comfort food: French roast Kosher chicken, mashed potatoes and peas!

We recently dined on board with a couple from Allentown who also like the same comfort food!

Terry, on the maiden crossing; we had a special Indian dinner, dover sole (multiple times), steak diane along with crepe suzettes, and Silversea dining staff went above and beyond when one of our cruise friends (from England) boasted to us at Le Champagne

we should try a traditional english lunch--we challenged Carl, and low & behold; two days later at lunch we had a 2 foot by one foot magnificent chicken, leek, onions and mushroom pie, followed by an English Truffle that was out of this world. Carl also matched the courses with wonderful wines. pix below:

Traditional English Pie:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=30734722&id=1039868706

Out of this world English Chocolate truffle:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=30734723&id=1039868706

Terry, on the maiden crossing; we had a special Indian dinner, dover sole (multiple times), steak diane along with crepe suzettes, and Silversea dining staff went above and beyond when one of our cruise friends (from England) boasted to us at Le Champagne

we should try a traditional english lunch--we challenged Carl, and low & behold; two days later at lunch we had a 2 foot by one foot magnificent chicken, leek, onions and mushroom pie, followed by an English Truffle that was out of this world. Carl also matched the courses with wonderful wines.

THANKS, Colonel, for the added ideas and good experiences with Silversea! Having had some boring English food options in the past, I get more excited and interest in Italian, French, etc., dining options. We're looking forward to sampling the best from the Silver Cloud. During the July 1-16 period, we will have time to test many of the offerings and ask for some special requests. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The menus are great, but occasionally, I am in the mood for something "off-menu".

Well, Emtbsam, you knew I wouldn't be able to pass this one up if I saw it. We asked reception if we could plan a dinner party of 9 guests (11 people total) to celebrate Mrs. Rally's birthday. The answer was a delighted "of course!!" So, the next thing I knew we were meeting with Ricardo Dotti, Executive Chef, and Gilbert, Maitre 'd, to plan the menu. Riccardo suggested "a wonderful Italian meal." Not sure what our guests liked to eat we asked for Surf & Turf as the main course and left the rest up to Riccardo and Gilbert. We left them arguing with each other over who made the best desserts.

(Now this has nothing to do with the food, but as soon as we gave the guest list to reception, an engraved invitation showed up on our door, followed by a phone call asking if we approved of the wording; we did and they were delivered the night before to party to each guest. Nice touch, eh? =)

After the meeting with Chef and Maitre 'd the head sommelier found us on the pool deck and wanted to discuss wine. He suggested we start with champagne (in floor-standing ice buckets at each end of the table) and then said he would consult with Chef to select the most appropriate wines (from the complementary list.) Although it was not necessary we did order two bottles of an Oregon pinot noir that we particularly enjoy.

So, dinner:

1. A huge antipasto tray was passed by our waiter Pamela, loaded with just about everything you have seen on an antipasto menu, this to enjoy with the champagne.

2. At this point the two featured singers from the entertainment troupe arrived and sag Happy Birthday. When they had finished, a lovely waiter who is from China appeared and asked permission to sing Happy Birthday to Mrs. Rally in Chinese. It is hard to say who has the better voice =)

3. Pasta Trio, composed by Chef: three ravioli, each with a different filling and sauce.

4. Filet Mignon with Bordelaise sauce and Lobster tail over lobster risotto.

5. Gilbert prepared crepes suzette tableside.

6. Chef presented a cake he said he only makes once or twice a year (I don't remember what it is called, but it was gorgeous, topped with little creampuffs that had been flamed with cognac --- although I don't remember the name, we all declared we couldn't eat it following the crepes, but within a few minutes not a bite was left on any plate.

7. Those little trays of cookies, candies, etc.

8. Along with the little trays, the sommelier appeared with flavored grappa (plain, lemon, white chocolate, dark chocolate) and offered them to all and sundry. ((I never saw these on any bar list, and when I later asked where they came from he said, "the Officers Mess.")

When we returned to our stateroom that evening, the bed was strewn with rose petals and towels arranged as swans with a birthday card signed by Chef, Gilbert and the Captain; a hot bath had been drawn and the tub and bathroom were aglow in candles. Amazing.

We have never had a meal to equal that one. The food, service, presentation and company were superb. So was the price: zero.

PS: For the record, this was only our second sailing on Silversea (the first was a 9 night cruise) so were didn't get special treatment for being "regulars" and we sailed in a mid-ship verandah suite, nothing fancy (wonderful! but not one of the named suites.)

This was on the LA - LA 26 night cruise Feb. 7, 2010.

Well, Emtbsam, you knew I wouldn't be able to pass this one up if I saw it. We asked reception if we could plan a dinner party of 9 guests (11 people total) to celebrate Mrs. Rally's birthday. The answer was a delighted "of course!!" So, the next thing I knew we were meeting with Ricardo Dotti, Executive Chef, and Gilbert, Maitre 'd, to plan the menu. Riccardo suggested "a wonderful Italian meal." Not sure what our guests liked to eat we asked for Surf & Turf as the main course and left the rest up to Riccardo and Gilbert. We left them arguing with each other over who made the best desserts.

(Now this has nothing to do with the food, but as soon as we gave the guest list to reception, an engraved invitation showed up on our door, followed by a phone call asking if we approved of the wording; we did and they were delivered the night before to party to each guest. Nice touch, eh? =)

After the meeting with Chef and Maitre 'd the head sommelier found us on the pool deck and wanted to discuss wine. He suggested we start with champagne (in floor-standing ice buckets at each end of the table) and then said he would consult with Chef to select the most appropriate wines (from the complementary list.) Although it was not necessary we did order two bottles of an Oregon pinot noir that we particularly enjoy.

So, dinner:

1. A huge antipasto tray was passed by our waiter Pamela, loaded with just about everything you have seen on an antipasto menu, this to enjoy with the champagne.

2. At this point the two featured singers from the entertainment troupe arrived and sag Happy Birthday. When they had finished, a lovely waiter who is from China appeared and asked permission to sing Happy Birthday to Mrs. Rally in Chinese. It is hard to say who has the better voice =)

3. Pasta Trio, composed by Chef: three ravioli, each with a different filling and sauce.

4. Filet Mignon with Bordelaise sauce and Lobster tail over lobster risotto.

5. Gilbert prepared crepes suzette tableside.

6. Chef presented a cake he said he only makes once or twice a year (I don't remember what it is called, but it was gorgeous, topped with little creampuffs that had been flamed with cognac --- although I don't remember the name, we all declared we couldn't eat it following the crepes, but within a few minutes not a bite was left on any plate.

7. Those little trays of cookies, candies, etc.

8. Along with the little trays, the sommelier appeared with flavored grappa (plain, lemon, white chocolate, dark chocolate) and offered them to all and sundry. ((I never saw these on any bar list, and when I later asked where they came from he said, "the Officers Mess.")

When we returned to our stateroom that evening, the bed was strewn with rose petals and towels arranged as swans with a birthday card signed by Chef, Gilbert and the Captain; a hot bath had been drawn and the tub and bathroom were aglow in candles. Amazing.

We have never had a meal to equal that one. The food, service, presentation and company were superb. So was the price: zero.

PS: For the record, this was only our second sailing on Silversea (the first was a 9 night cruise) so were didn't get special treatment for being "regulars" and we sailed in a mid-ship verandah suite, nothing fancy (wonderful! but not one of the named suites.)

This was on the LA - LA 26 night cruise Feb. 7, 2010.

It was an extraordinary meal - better than Le Champagne in my opinion! The company was wonderful, the service great. We were thrilled to be included in the evening. Was it possibly a gateau St. Honore?

Rally - what is the name of the Oregon Pinot? That was one of the best wines we had on board.

Thanks again for a wonderful evening.

It was an extraordinary meal - better than Le Champagne in my opinion! The company was wonderful, the service great. We were thrilled to be included in the evening. Was it possibly a gateau St. Honore?

Rally - what is the name of the Oregon Pinot? That was one of the best wines we had on board.

Thanks again for a wonderful evening.

Yes, the cake was a gateau St. Honore (thanks for reminding me =) and the wine was 2007 Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir Willamette Valley There website is here: Domaine Drouhin

Rally, after your last post we checked our wine cellar. Lo and behold, we found a bottle of 2007 Domaine Drouhin Oregon Willamette Valley Pinot Noir! At your and Victoria's recommendation we shall have it with dinner tonight. Many thanks! And your dinner event again emphasizes the wonderful attitude and service which makes Silversea so special.

Dieter

Archived