Quebec City

There are several nice boutique-style hotels near the port. Here is a list of those within easy walking distance of the cruise terminal, in order of distance:

Hotel Port Royal

Hotel Dominion 1912

Hotel%2071"]

Auberge Saint-Pierre

auberge%20saint-antoine"]Auberge Saint-Antoine[/url]

Hotel Le Priori

There are a couple of car rental offices not too far from the pier, Budget and Hertz. But if you just want to visit the old city, a car really isn't necessary. Any specific plans?

I stayed at the Hotel Port Royal two years ago. Great hotel, service and location. Note: I was born and lived in Quebec City for 24 years before moving to Ontario. Trust us, you don't want to drive in the City. Confusing, no parking, most one-way streets (and narrow streets).

Hi, Sue! We're going on the Maasdam repo in October. We'll only be in QC one day, so I thought the city tour would be good, leaving us time to mosey around old town. I've been there before, but not my SIL. What do you think?

Yes, our plan is to fly into Q city, rent a car and stay in Q city for two days, drive to Montreal for two days, then drive back the morning of embarkation day. Or vica versa, Montreal first then Q city. Embarkation is Oct 17, 2010. I have beeen looking for B & B's and have found some with good reviews both in Q and Montreal.

Looks like we will be on the same cruise. We are flying in on Saturday because the air fare is $1700 less than flying on Sunday. We booked a room at Hotel Dominion 1912. They told us it was only a 5 min. walk to the pier from there.

Does anyone know if we will need to get Canadian $$ or will they take US? Is the best way to get to the hotel from the airport a taxi? None of the hotels seem to have shuttles unless they are really close to the airport.

Looks like we will be on the same cruise. We are flying in on Saturday because the air fare is $1700 less than flying on Sunday. We booked a room at Hotel Dominion 1912. They told us it was only a 5 min. walk to the pier from there.

Does anyone know if we will need to get Canadian $$ or will they take US? Is the best way to get to the hotel from the airport a taxi? None of the hotels seem to have shuttles unless they are really close to the airport.

US$ will be accepted but the rate will most likely be below what it is worth. If I had to accept US $ or Euros or British pounds for that matter, I would take a profit...because I would have to go to the bank to change them. Yes it will be accepted, but not to your advantage, even at par at some places.

US $ is not a legal tender in Quebec, Montreal, Saguenay, Halifax, Charlettown, Sydney, St John's, etc. why not change money ???,

happyglobetrotter or ???? We have Verizon cellphone coverage here-- I believe the equivalent up there would probably be Rogers. But the question is would we have cellphone coverage or would we have to go to GPS type coverage in Quebec and Montreal? Noj

happyglobetrotter or ???? We have Verizon cellphone coverage here-- I believe the equivalent up there would probably be Rogers. But the question is would we have cellphone coverage or would we have to go to GPS type coverage in Quebec and Montreal? Noj

You will get coverage anywhere in Canada, but you will pay roaming unless you get the international plan. The cost, without an international plan is $.69 per minute. Here is the page on Verizon Wireless that talks about the international plans. http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Global_Travel/index.html

Last year, we stayed at the Hotel des Cotellier before our cruise. It is small, nice, clean and I loved the little basket of breakfast items they hang from your door in the morning. We used it as our home base to walk around the Old City and we even walked to the Port, though I don't know that we would do that again with luggage. I loved that we were on foot without a car. Walking around Quebec was my favorite part of our trip.

Archived