Quebec City

There are several nice boutique-style hotels near the port. Here is a list of those within easy walking distance of the cruise terminal, in order of distance:

Hotel Port Royal

Hotel Dominion 1912

Hotel%2071"]

Auberge Saint-Pierre

auberge%20saint-antoine"]Auberge Saint-Antoine[/url]

Hotel Le Priori

There are a couple of car rental offices not too far from the pier, Budget and Hertz. But if you just want to visit the old city, a car really isn't necessary. Any specific plans?

There are several nice boutique-style hotels near the port. Here is a list of those within easy walking distance of the cruise terminal, in order of distance:

Hotel Port Royal

Hotel Dominion 1912

Hotel%2071"]

Auberge Saint-Pierre

auberge%20saint-antoine"]Auberge Saint-Antoine[/url]

Hotel Le Priori

There are a couple of car rental offices not too far from the pier, Budget and Hertz. But if you just want to visit the old city, a car really isn't necessary. Any specific plans?

Yes, our plan is to fly into Q city, rent a car and stay in Q city for two days, drive to Montreal for two days, then drive back the morning of embarkation day. Or vica versa, Montreal first then Q city. Embarkation is Oct 17, 2010. I have beeen looking for B & B's and have found some with good reviews both in Q and Montreal.

Yes, our plan is to fly into Q city, rent a car and stay in Q city for two days, drive to Montreal for two days, then drive back the morning of embarkation day. Or vica versa, Montreal first then Q city. Embarkation is Oct 17, 2010. I have beeen looking for B & B's and have found some with good reviews both in Q and Montreal.

I strongly suggest you fly into Montreal; usually airfare is less expensive into YUL than YQB. Plus, you save having to do the 2.5 hour drive twice.

Lots of charming B&Bs in both cities. Parking will be an issue, however, and if you want a downtown location in either city you'll most likely have to pay for parking. Of the list I posted, I believe the Port-Royal and Dominion 1912 each have their own parking lots, possibly the Sainte-Antoine as well but I don't remember right now. If not, there's a large parking lot at the dock accross the street.

There's actually a nice hotel near the 2 car rental offices I mentioned in Quebec, Manoir Victoria.

Just checked your date, and it appears you'll be embarking the Crown Princess, which will be docked at berth 22. Here's a picture of the Eurodam in the same birth 2 years ago:

2727727010047264874S600x600Q85.jpg

So far I have found that fligfhts into Quebec City to be less than into Montreal. Bessides,if I rent a car in Montreal and drop it off in Q City It will cost more because of the dropoff point being different than the pickup point.

So far I have found that fligfhts into Quebec City to be less than into Montreal.

Really? Where are you flying in from?

YQB is a much nicer airport to fly into, small and newly renovated (still has that new airport smell... :D).

Pondering here... it all depends on what you want to visit, but you could possibly forego the car rental and just take the train to-from Montreal. The positive about this is that the train station is very close to the port in Quebec City - a 5-minute drive, or a 15-20 minute walk if you're so inclined. Heck, you could even take the city bus, and as that bus route (No. 1) usually has the low, one-step Novabuses running on it, luggage wouldn't even be that difficult.

Popping in here to ask about the sugar shack experience as featured on one of the shore excursions (I am on Crown Princess Sept. 27, 2010). A meal and Canadian folklore and probably bus transportation. $100 US. We would like to do this on our own during pre-cruise. Ever heard of this?

Also have you seen the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown. (we get a very reduced rate because a family member works for Marriott so try for that chain hotel). wondering if it would be convenient for pre-cruise stay?

Popping in here to ask about the sugar shack experience as featured on one of the shore excursions (I am on Crown Princess Sept. 27, 2010). A meal and Canadian folklore and probably bus transportation. $100 US. We would like to do this on our own during pre-cruise. Ever heard of this?

Also have you seen the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown. (we get a very reduced rate because a family member works for Marriott so try for that chain hotel). wondering if it would be convenient for pre-cruise stay?

Well reviewed on trip advisor. Just outside the Ramparts of the old fortified city. Walking distance to the Citadelle (a must see). About 10 minutes from the Chateau and Dufferin Terrace. Enjoy Quebec. It is unique.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonjour à tous,

Marriott Courtyard is quite well located. Right in Place d'Youville, a busy square just steps away from the walled city. Good restaurant on the premises. Better ones in the vicinity (like Il Theatro)...

QC is most enjoyed by walking. Your hotel will be a great starting point to do so. Don't hesitate to ask for more informations, i'm a professional guide and QC is my hometown !

Greetings,

We are considering taking a train to Quebec City from Detroit (Windsor), then taking a cruise down the Canada US coast. Anyone have any experience with the trains?

How far is the train station to the Cruise port docks?

Thanks

Erik :-)

Greetings,

We are considering taking a train to Quebec City from Detroit (Windsor), then taking a cruise down the Canada US coast. Anyone have any experience with the trains?

How far is the train station to the Cruise port docks?

Thanks

Erik :-)

The train station is very convenient to the port; indeed, if you really feel like it and don't have too much luggage, it's walkable.

There are several "cabanes a sucre"/sugar shacks that operate year round on Ile d'Orleans, a large island in the St. Lawrence River close to Quebec City. There is a bridge to the island quite close to Montmorency Falls, if you want to kill two birds with one stone. On the island, there is one main shore road that circumnavigates the island, no possibility of getting lost. It is quite rural, with many 18th- and 19th-century houses and farms, lots of fruit and vegetable stands (in season), craft shops, some wineries, and (of course) sugar shacks. I believe there is an information booth on the island close to the bridge with maps of the island.

Just Google "sugar shack Ile d'Orleans" to find some of the sugars shack operations that offer year round shows/dinners. Reservations are required at some of them.

The train station is very convenient to the port; indeed, if you really feel like it and don't have too much luggage, it's walkable.

It is indeed. You'll pass a lovely small park on the way, with benches to rest if you get tuckered out. And the QC train station itself is worth a look. It looks like a miniature Chateau Frontenac (maybe the same architect). Google Images of it and you'll see.

There are several "cabanes a sucre"/sugar shacks that operate year round on Ile d'Orleans, a large island in the St. Lawrence River close to Quebec City. There is a bridge to the island quite close to Montmorency Falls, if you want to kill two birds with one stone. On the island, there is one main shore road that circumnavigates the island, no possibility of getting lost. It is quite rural, with many 18th- and 19th-century houses and farms, lots of fruit and vegetable stands (in season), craft shops, some wineries, and (of course) sugar shacks. I believe there is an information booth on the island close to the bridge with maps of the island.

Just Google "sugar shack Ile d'Orleans" to find some of the sugars shack operations that offer year round shows/dinners. Reservations are required at some of them.

We usually do not do ship tours but signed up for an early morning one with HAL that goes to the falls as they stop for tea there as well and it must be done through a group. On the way they stop at a sugar shack in Ile d'Orleans. So, it must be open late August for tourists.

We usually do not do ship tours but signed up for an early morning one with HAL that goes to the falls as they stop for tea there as well and it must be done through a group. On the way they stop at a sugar shack in Ile d'Orleans. So, it must be open late August for tourists.

OK, but what is a sugar shack and what do I do there?

A sugar shack / cabane à sucre / érablière is the building where they boil off sève / sap to make maple syrup. It is a Québec tradition of sorts. Generally speaking this is a March - early April thing, when the sap is actually flowing.

You can expect all sorts of maple treats (maple taffy on shaved ice), eggs and pancakes, with warm syrup, and Québécois fiddle music. In my opinion, it kinda loses its appeal when you go in the middle of the summer, but YMMV. For more info look at this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1194638

Scott.

We really enjoyed the Hotel Manoir Victoria. It's close to the dock and is in Vieux Quebec. We were surprised that they had a good restaurant there. I was too tired to go out again, so we just ate in the hotel expecting a so-so meal. It was delicious.

Archived