Wife Wants To Know About Charlottetown

I lived there for quite some time and the city is pretty to walk around in but it's small. They have a park called Victoria Park that is pretty to walk in. If you can, get out on a drive to see Anne of Green Gables! I loved driving around on the weekends and exploring the countryside too!

What would you like to know? I live on Prince Edward Island.

She wanted to know the best things to see and/or do during our short stay. We are scheduled to arrive 09/24 at 08:00am and the boat leaves at 05:00pm. Reading the posts, House of the Green Gables appears to be the #1 point of interest. We hear it is a beatuiful city and want to plan our time wisely. The cruise offers a number of tours and renting a car is another option. Thanks in advance for any help.

Don

I agree with the above poster. We too rented a car, it was a plan that we came up with after we got off the ship, we had nothing planned beforehand. We got picked up at the info booth just off the pier and headed north to a little town of North Rustico, which was a beautiful fishing village on the ocean. From there we headed over to Cavendish to Anne of Green Gables house, did the tour then took the coastal route around to the confederation bridge. Back toward town, and got the rental company to drop us off at the top of town for a 30min walk back to the ship. We saw sooooo much stuff and we would have had to take about 4 ship tours to see all of that. It was well worth it and something I would do again. It is very easy to drive PEI!

I agree with the above poster. We too rented a car, it was a plan that we came up with after we got off the ship, we had nothing planned beforehand. We got picked up at the info booth just off the pier and headed north to a little town of North Rustico, which was a beautiful fishing village on the ocean. From there we headed over to Cavendish to Anne of Green Gables house, did the tour then took the coastal route around to the confederation bridge. Back toward town, and got the rental company to drop us off at the top of town for a 30min walk back to the ship. We saw sooooo much stuff and we would have had to take about 4 ship tours to see all of that. It was well worth it and something I would do again. It is very easy to drive PEI!

The rental car appears to be the best option after looking over the cruise's shore excursions. You said you did not plan/book ahead - was the car rental at or near the pier? I looked up the locations of the lighthouses and there are a ton of them! Also checked out the car rental companies, just not sure if one is near where we dock. We always take our gps with us when we go on vacation, it is good for travel in Canada.

Thanks to all for your advice. We are now looking at things to do at the other ports.

Don

I really like this idea. You said the rental picked you up at the info booth. Where did you rent the car from. And can you tell me what it cost for the day. Thanks for your response

There is a fair bit of information in the links below. I agree with the others that you should rent a car and head to the north shore (Cavendish, North Rustico, Brackley, etc). One of the links gives the site to request a guide book.

When booking your car, ask about location or pick-up.

We love PEI. It is like one large garden.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1113396&highlight=charlottetown+car+rental

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1073541&highlight=charlottetown+car+rental

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1064737&highlight=charlottetown+car+rental

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1063532&highlight=charlottetown+car+rental

We thought about tours and really didn't plan any excursions except in NYC for our trip. We walked over to the info center which was not very far from the ship to look for ideas of what to do. They were the ones that suggested renting a car for best value (because what we wanted to see was all over the map). We called this place and they had by far the best price and were a pleasure to deal with. They are located quite a ways (not walking distance) from the pier, near the airport, but said they would pick us up in 10min. Sure enough 10min he pulled up, took us to the rental place where we did the paperwork. We had the choice of a Mustang or a Pontiac G5, I hate mustangs so we took the G5. Fully loaded power everything and used about $13.00 worth of gas for the whole day. When we got back they dropped us off near the edge of town (20min or so walk to the pier) and we took our time and worked our way back to the ship. I think the rental cost us $75.00 for the day. If I can help any more let me know.

The place we rented from was here :

Discount Car & Truck Rentals‎

185 Brackley Point Road,

Charlottetown, PE

C1A 7N9

(902) 566-3213‎

• 1 month later...

Where is Victoria on the Sea?

It looks like most cruise ships either offer a tour to the Ann of Green Gables House or to the countryside and Victoria. Can both be done in 4 hours?

Thanks.

Where is Victoria on the Sea?

It looks like most cruise ships either offer a tour to the Ann of Green Gables House or to the countryside and Victoria. Can both be done in 4 hours?

Thanks.

Yes, it can be done, also be sure to make a stop in New Glasgow, another pretty spot on the route between Green Gables and Victoria. UNless you're a reall Anne of Green Gables Fan and are familiar with the stories, I'd skip Green Gables and just tour the Cavendish area in general.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Charlottetown,+Prince+Edward+Island&daddr=46.399041,-63.186493+to:8555+CAVENDISH+RD,+Green+Gables,+Prince+Edward+Island+C0A+1X0+(Green+Gables)+to:Victoria,+Prince+Edward+Island+to:Charlottetown,+Prince+Edward+Island&geocode=FaevwQIdrtw8_CnFg3_U3VJeSzEnm1GfuHdXWg%3B%3BFddmxQIdDO84_CHahouDDBCNXQ%3BFRwawQId1Uw3_Cktc3XL6gdfSzGUH1L3_jJisQ%3BFaevwQIdrtw8_CnFg3_U3VJeSzEnm1GfuHdXWg&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=10&via=1&sll=46.341239,-63.310089&sspn=0.457913,0.877533&ie=UTF8&z=10

We thought about tours and really didn't plan any excursions except in NYC for our trip. We walked over to the info center which was not very far from the ship to look for ideas of what to do. They were the ones that suggested renting a car for best value (because what we wanted to see was all over the map). We called this place and they had by far the best price and were a pleasure to deal with. They are located quite a ways (not walking distance) from the pier, near the airport, but said they would pick us up in 10min. Sure enough 10min he pulled up, took us to the rental place where we did the paperwork. We had the choice of a Mustang or a Pontiac G5, I hate mustangs so we took the G5. Fully loaded power everything and used about $13.00 worth of gas for the whole day. When we got back they dropped us off near the edge of town (20min or so walk to the pier) and we took our time and worked our way back to the ship. I think the rental cost us $75.00 for the day. If I can help any more let me know.

The place we rented from was here :

Discount Car & Truck Rentals‎

185 Brackley Point Road,

Charlottetown, PE

C1A 7N9

(902) 566-3213‎

Was in PEI on the maasdam may 23 and rented a car from budget. It cost $26.00 and was a jeep liberty. I was picked up at the pier and driven to rental office only a few minutes from dock. I returned car to rental office and just walked back to pier and did a little sightseeing on way back. PEI is very easy to travel in car as there is very little traffic especially on weekends and is extremely scenic especially the north coast.

Was in PEI on the maasdam may 23 and rented a car from budget. It cost $26.00 and was a jeep liberty. I was picked up at the pier and driven to rental office only a few minutes from dock. I returned car to rental office and just walked back to pier and did a little sightseeing on way back. PEI is very easy to travel in car as there is very little traffic especially on weekends and is extremely scenic especially the north coast.

We will be on Maasdam in August/September. Where did you go in PEI?

We will be on Maasdam in August/September. Where did you go in PEI?

I drove from charlottetown up to rustico harbour visited several beaches on north coast then went to anns house and then to kensington and back through middle of island to charlottetown.

I drove from charlottetown up to rustico harbour visited several beaches on north coast then went to anns house and then to kensington and back through middle of island to charlottetown.

Thanks.

What would you like to know? I live on Prince Edward Island.

We are two couples ... would you know of a Tour Co. that would pick us up at the ship and take us on an Island Tour with a stop and a restaurant that serves lobster for lunch.

Thanks,

Som

You know it does seem to be difficult to find private tour operators. I just did a google and CruiseCritic search and found little. Check out post #9 here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=818547

Searching here may help toohttp://www.tourismpei.com/guide/index.php3#utm_source=google.com&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=SEM2010&utm_content=textad

I have been to PEI many times and you cannot go wrong just renting a car and driving. There is lots of information about that here on CC.

I just reserved a car from Budget on PEI. in July I will be on the Maasdam

I decided I wanted to see at least some of the Island and the Lighthouses

If I did the ship tour I would be limited as to what I really wanted to see.

My two granddaugters will love to visit Ann of Green Gables house. I understand it's only 24mi or 39K there about a 1/2h from Charlottetown The rest of the time I will spend taking pictures of the lighthouses. The cost was well above $26 but that far better then the ship tour price for the three of us.

I spend a lot of time on PEI every summer. It is a beautiful Island with the most wonderful people. I would also suggest renting a car and heading to Green Gables and then stop by some of the beaches on the North Shore. You could stop and have a wonderful PEI lobster for lunch. Don't forget to try some tasty fish chowder to go with your lunch. If you are back from exploring the Island early, Charlottetown is a very walkable and very safe city. You could drop by COWS for ice cream for a snack at the end of the day.

We are two couples ... would you know of a Tour Co. that would pick us up at the ship and take us on an Island Tour with a stop and a restaurant that serves lobster for lunch.

Thanks,

Som

Hi Som,

I know a good Charlottetown-based private tour company which I used when I travelled to PEI last time. They would pick you up from the harbour and take you on an island tour. I am sure that you could ask for a stop at a resturant. Their charge is based on number of people. The company name is "Picture Perfect Island Tours" and their website is www.yourpeitour.com

I just reserved a car from Budget on PEI. in July I will be on the Maasdam

I decided I wanted to see at least some of the Island and the Lighthouses

If I did the ship tour I would be limited as to what I really wanted to see.

My two granddaugters will love to visit Ann of Green Gables house. I understand it's only 24mi or 39K there about a 1/2h from Charlottetown The rest of the time I will spend taking pictures of the lighthouses. The cost was well above $26 but that far better then the ship tour price for the three of us.

Hi Jolivia!

Is Budget going to pick you up at the port or can you walk to get your rental?

This is what we want to do in Sept when we are there...not sure about the Gable house, but just to search out lighthouses to take photos.

Have a GREAT CRUISE! :) Hoping you will post about it when you get back.

rocks

Archived