Dawn 5 day Review 4/4/10-4/9/10

heelfan94

Pool chairs... I don't know where to start. It's just a problem. If you go up and put your towels out early, those chairs can't be used for a while.

If you wait and go up when you're ready to be in the sun, you won't get a chair. I have no idea what the solution is. I like to go up early and read

by the pool before breakfast, so I could have my pick of chairs. The people who come up after breakfast had a really hard time. On both sea days I had my chair taken while I went to the bathroom. Really, not even five minutes and someone threw the towel on the deck and took off with the chair. They almost had to be watching for someone to get up. Like I said, I have no idea what the solution is. On sea days everyone wants to be out in the sun. There aren't enough chairs to go around. I would understand if I was gone for an hour. Then it should be fair game.

This is so unfair and something I have feared with all the talk of chair hogs on this site. It has made some people feel entitled to throw people's belongings around for the sake of a chair. I have never been a chair hog - I am NOT defending that practice. I understand people's frustration but I have never had a difficult enough time to warrant the venom generated on this topic around here - which, as I said, I think feeds this attitude. Fortunately, my sister and I take turns going to the rest room, but it shouldn't be necessary IMO.

I am sorry you had this experience. The people who flung your towel on the floor are just as rude as the hogs. [putting on helmet, waiting for flames ;)]

I miss the days when people earned their tips instead of forcing people to tip them for doing their jobs.

And then people wonder why service levels are going down. If someone knows they are getting a tip regardless of how they work where is the incentive to go beyond?

I miss the days when people earned their tips instead of forcing people to tip them for doing their jobs.

And then people wonder why service levels are going down. If someone knows they are getting a tip regardless of how they work where is the incentive to go beyond?

I personally have not seen service levels go down. In fact with the institution of "automatic" tips being added to our on board account I think there has been a slight improvement. Not as many people not not showing up for dinner the final night of the cruise.

PE

That is the only thing you have to comment on???

Thank you for proving my point. ;)

PE

No problem.

BTW, you'll notice the service fee you so staunchly defend is far below what I am accustomed to tipping while on vacation each day....so who exactly is the cheapskate?

We were also on this cruise. I know part of the problem with this short cruise was that there was 453 Teens and over 300 kids on this cruise.

The room serves was overwhelmed. Most of the teens were to "cool" to go to the teen club so they would cancel actives. and the teens would hang around pool and other open places were there parents weren't.

pop cards were bigger sellers than beer buckets. The restaurants had an extra 700 kids & teens to feed in timely maner.

A holiday cruise will never be as good as a non holiday cruise.

This being said we did feel the Bar staff was not very good on this cruise.

We have always enjoyed meeting people from other countries so we usually talk to crew alot. This cruise this did not happen. The Waitstaff has a pass because of the full ship and extra kids but the Bar staff we felt could have been better. We went to Salsa Bar the first four nights. We tried to talk to bar staff and would get one word answers. We were the only ones in the bar each night and can see why. So we tried Dazzles we couldn't even get a drink ordered. We went to beer tasting in Pearly Kings it was canceled. Had to track down staff for second beer.

We had a great time on our shore excursions Capt. Marvin for Stingrays and Eco Jeep in Cozumel. And would stop by Blue Lagoon after to pick up a snack for the room whale we would get ready to go out. They were always very quick had helpful.

Overall we had a great trip but we look forward to not having to travel during holidays. (We had 2 of the teens).:)

We were also on this cruise. I know part of the problem with this short cruise was that there was 453 Teens and over 300 kids on this cruise.

The room serves was overwhelmed. Most of the teens were to "cool" to go to the teen club so they would cancel actives. and the teens would hang around pool and other open places were there parents weren't.

pop cards were bigger sellers than beer buckets. The restaurants had an extra 700 kids & teens to feed in timely maner.

A holiday cruise will never be as good as a non holiday cruise.

This being said we did feel the Bar staff was not very good on this cruise.

We have always enjoyed meeting people from other countries so we usually talk to crew alot. This cruise this did not happen. The Waitstaff has a pass because of the full ship and extra kids but the Bar staff we felt could have been better. We went to Salsa Bar the first four nights. We tried to talk to bar staff and would get one word answers. We were the only ones in the bar each night and can see why. So we tried Dazzles we couldn't even get a drink ordered. We went to beer tasting in Pearly Kings it was canceled. Had to track down staff for second beer.

We had a great time on our shore excursions Capt. Marvin for Stingrays and Eco Jeep in Cozumel. And would stop by Blue Lagoon after to pick up a snack for the room whale we would get ready to go out. They were always very quick had helpful.

Overall we had a great trip but we look forward to not having to travel during holidays. (We had 2 of the teens).:)

Unfortunately, those who must cruise during spring break have a very different experience from those lucky enough to avoid it. And short cruises during this time are even worse. The crew is overwhelmed and not up to their usual standards we are used to. This leads to a lot of the discrepancies found on these boards.

I don't understand why that would be a problem? Don't the cruise ships know who are going to be on them and then plan according?

I don't understand why that would be a problem? Don't the cruise ships know who are going to be on them and then plan according?

It is like shopping at the mall at Christmas time. It is much busier and the lines are much longer and the staff is much more overwhelmed. Even if the cruiseline could hire temp workers for the special season, the way the malls do for the holidays, which would be highly impractical if not impossible, more people is naturally going to affect service. That's why I avoid the mall in December and I avoid short cruises in March and April for the same reason. Unfortunately, not everyone has that choice if they have children in school.

It is like shopping at the mall at Christmas time. It is much busier and the lines are much longer and the staff is much more overwhelmed. Even if the cruiseline could hire temp workers for the special season, the way the malls do for the holidays, which would be highly impractical if not impossible, more people is naturally going to affect service. That's why I avoid the mall in December and I avoid short cruises in March and April for the same reason. Unfortunately, not everyone has that choice if they have children in school.

I guess I can sorta see how that's similar in the fact that their is an increase but again don't the cruises know how many people are going to be and then adjust accordingly. As a former Walmart employee in my teens I would have LOVED to know how many people were going to be in the store.

I'm hoping that since it seems like teens and children can upset the level of service the rest of the ship receives that their aren't many on my trip if we still take it.

I guess I can sorta see how that's similar in the fact that their is an increase but again don't the cruises know how many people are going to be and then adjust accordingly. As a former Walmart employee in my teens I would have LOVED to know how many people were going to be in the store.

I'm hoping that since it seems like teens and children can upset the level of service the rest of the ship receives that their aren't many on my trip if we still take it.

You are right, they know the number. But there is no practical way to adjust accordingly.

To clarify, it isn't just that the extra passengers are teens and children. Good knows, adults can be just as difficult. ;) It is that there are so many more passengers in general. Instead, of 2 people in most cabins, there are 3 or 4. They happen to be kids, but I think it is the shear volume that really makes things difficult. And, of course, a bunch of drunken college kids wouldn't help matters. :eek:

A November cruise, so long as it is not Thanksgiving weekend, should be much more relaxing and have much better service.

No argument from me. My brother was an East Coast transplant to Texas for years, but now lives in Colorado - what kind of tipper would you suppose he is? ;):)

I don't know. You tell me. Where was he raised?

If he was from Connecticut, where you are now located, I would guess he is probably a generous tipper.

PE

No problem.

BTW, you'll notice the service fee you so staunchly defend is far below what I am accustomed to tipping while on vacation each day....so who exactly is the cheapskate?

The DSC isn't a tip. That's where your confusion originates.

It seems after browsing the boards there are a few posters that will defend their particular cruise line of choice to the death regardless of circumstances. It's kind of amusing and odd at the same time.

I travel almost exclusively and pretty frequently on American Airlines. I have never been bumped, or had my luggage lost and I frequently get upgraded to first class if I dont already have a seat there. I have yet to come across a surly gate agent. I guess that means all the people who have experienced those things are arrogant or lying huh?

Butler's who dont know anything about the menu, empty ice buckets, and cigarette butts on balconies are pretty objective obeservations IMO. If I wanted a Motel 6 experience, I would have chosen an inside cabin on deck 4.

Lisa - I really think you have good information to share about your cruise. I'm just wondering though if the comments from other posters is purely out of how you wrote your review.... I'm sure you're familiar with the common problem of how words in an email or internet don't always reflect the tone you mean to imply. If I try to take away the arrogant sounding pieces in your words and strictly look at your experience, then I get what you're saying. I'm not trying to get into a word match with you, only trying to explain why some are posting replies which has resulted in everyone becoming defensive. Just a thought... bottom line, it sounds like you had a so-so butler. It's too bad, because the penthouse experience can be top notch and really make an incredible vacation.

This is so unfair and something I have feared with all the talk of chair hogs on this site. It has made some people feel entitled to throw people's belongings around for the sake of a chair. I have never been a chair hog - I am NOT defending that practice. I understand people's frustration but I have never had a difficult enough time to warrant the venom generated on this topic around here - which, as I said, I think feeds this attitude. Fortunately, my sister and I take turns going to the rest room, but it shouldn't be necessary IMO.

I am sorry you had this experience. The people who flung your towel on the floor are just as rude as the hogs. [putting on helmet, waiting for flames ;)]

Totally agree with you.

Al

Chairs are a real issue. I really don't know what the answer is. If someone was watching my spot and noticed I'd been gone for 30 minutes or longer, I would have no problem with them moving my things. It was almost like the person watched for me to get up and then took the chair, both times. I wasn't gone long enough to warrant taking my chair. Anyway, this was the first time it's ever been a real problem for us.

As far as the extra kids on board, I don't buy that as an excuse for our slow service in the dining rooms. Every time it was slow, we were one of only a handful of tables being served. If the dining room was packed, then I'd agree with that reasoning because I know kids and their special requests slow things down. I'm pretty good at spotting a server's section and assessing their work load because I was a waitress for years. I'm sympathetic to them and understand what's going on in their world. But this cruise I didn't see an excuse for the poor service.

One other thing that I remembered this morning was when we first boarded, there was no Freestyle Daily in our cabin. We went to Reception to get one and the young lady said they were running low that day. After we specifically asked again for a copy she got one for us. That was a little weird. We have no idea what's going on without it.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand and think we didn't have a good time. We had a great time. I was surprised that some things we've come to expect on NCL weren't quite up to par. With it being a Holiday sailing I can understand crowds at the pool, etc. but some of the things that went wrong had nothing to do with extra kids on board.

Chairs are a real issue. I really don't know what the answer is. If someone was watching my spot and noticed I'd been gone for 30 minutes or longer, I would have no problem with them moving my things. It was almost like the person watched for me to get up and then took the chair, both times. I wasn't gone long enough to warrant taking my chair. Anyway, this was the first time it's ever been a real problem for us.

As far as the extra kids on board, I don't buy that as an excuse for our slow service in the dining rooms. Every time it was slow, we were one of only a handful of tables being served. If the dining room was packed, then I'd agree with that reasoning because I know kids and their special requests slow things down. I'm pretty good at spotting a server's section and assessing their work load because I was a waitress for years. I'm sympathetic to them and understand what's going on in their world. But this cruise I didn't see an excuse for the poor service.

One other thing that I remembered this morning was when we first boarded, there was no Freestyle Daily in our cabin. We went to Reception to get one and the young lady said they were running low that day. After we specifically asked again for a copy she got one for us. That was a little weird. We have no idea what's going on without it.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand and think we didn't have a good time. We had a great time. I was surprised that some things we've come to expect on NCL weren't quite up to par. With it being a Holiday sailing I can understand crowds at the pool, etc. but some of the things that went wrong had nothing to do with extra kids on board.

We save our chairs with people, so if I have to go do something DW will be there and vice versa. I'd like to see someone throw her out of her chair;). I don't spend a lot of time in the chairs anyway and am just as happy sitting at a table in the shade (my lily white skin appreciates that more anyway:eek:). As for the slow service maybe all of the kitchen staff weren't on duty yet and the other dining venues were busier (as I understand it one kitchen serves them all).

It's the 2nd anniversary not the 20th. But regardless of which it is anniversaries are important to people who are celebrating them. It just seems like the general attitude of the workers is laissez-faire. I'm not asking for them to fall all over themselves because of us but common if we're shelling out $300 per day for the cruise it would be nice to have some recognition for our anniversary.

At this time I'm actively looking at other cruise lines. I'm glad for this review. I'm sorry that they didn't have the level of service they deserved.

It has been my experience that most cruise lines will provide a small cake or other special dessert and possibly sing to you if you tell the dining room staff that it is your anniversary. You can also order [at a price] a special anniversary package.

Not to change the subject but I just called to find out what I needed to do to cancel my cruise. At no time was I asked WHY I wanted to cancel. Normally that lack of concern is an indicatator as to how much they care for you as a customer. If they don't care enough that they could lose $1200+ before you sail how can you expect them to care after you are on their ship?

Not to change the subject but I just called to find out what I needed to do to cancel my cruise. At no time was I asked WHY I wanted to cancel. Normally that lack of concern is an indicatator as to how much they care for you as a customer. If they don't care enough that they could lose $1200+ before you sail how can you expect them to care after you are on their ship?

The times I've had to cancel hotel reservations I wasn't asked why I was cancelling. People cancel reservations all of the time for reasons unrelated to the company with whom the reservation is made. They are filling their ships and whether you are onboard or not probably doesn't matter from their perspective.

Do you know yet which cruise line you will choose instead? I hope you find something that works for you. Good luck.

It has been my experience that most cruise lines will provide a small cake or other special dessert and possibly sing to you if you tell the dining room staff that it is your anniversary. You can also order [at a price] a special anniversary package.

Yeah I noticed that I could pay extra for things I've received for free on land based anniversaries. On my honeymoon we were upgraded to the Governors Suite, didn't have to ask, didn't have to pay for it. We also received flowers and chocolate covered strawberries, didn't have to ask, didn't have to pay for it. On our 1st anniversary we were upgraded to Club Level 2 bedroom suite, didn't have to ask, didn't have to pay for it. On that trip we received a nice bottle of wine, which we declined because we didn't drink only to have a nice chocolate lava cake sent up.

Both trips were with 5 star hotels in 2 different markets. Both were a HECK of a lot less.

I'm starting to think maybe the whole idea of cruising isn't for us. We don't ask for much but maybe just maybe to be treated to something extra for celebrating a milestone. Because of the treatment that we received from the above hotels we stay with only them for all of our travels to those cities. They spent very little but have earned it back in our returned trips.

Sorry rant over. :D

The times I've had to cancel hotel reservations I wasn't asked why I was cancelling. People cancel reservations all of the time for reasons unrelated to the company with whom the reservation is made. They are filling their ships and whether you are onboard or not probably doesn't matter from their perspective.

So you're agreeing that they don't care. So how am I supposed to believe they will all of sudden care when we board?

Do you know yet which cruise line you will choose instead? I hope you find something that works for you. Good luck.

We're working with our TA and have 2 options that fit. They are Celebrity, HOL. From my understanding you pay more but are treated better. We originally wanted to sail with them but were concerned on spending the difference in price if we come to find out both get sick at sea.

Yeah I noticed that I could pay extra for things I've received for free on land based anniversaries. On my honeymoon we were upgraded to the Governors Suite, didn't have to ask, didn't have to pay for it. We also received flowers and chocolate covered strawberries, didn't have to ask, didn't have to pay for it. On our 1st anniversary we were upgraded to Club Level 2 bedroom suite, didn't have to ask, didn't have to pay for it. On that trip we received a nice bottle of wine, which we declined because we didn't drink only to have a nice chocolate lava cake sent up.

Both trips were with 5 star hotels in 2 different markets. Both were a HECK of a lot less.

I'm starting to think maybe the whole idea of cruising isn't for us. We don't ask for much but maybe just maybe to be treated to something extra for celebrating a milestone. Because of the treatment that we received from the above hotels we stay with only them for all of our travels to those cities. They spent very little but have earned it back in our returned trips.

Sorry rant over. :D

Comparing 5 star hotels with mass market cruising is totally unfair. And had you gone on the cruise you would have received a cake even in the MDR had you mentioned your event. We have everytime.

You also have to take into consideration that most people plan their cruises around "events" such as birthdays, honeymoons, anniversaries so while you may feel "special" so are half the people onboard! You might be surprised how many raise their hands when asked if they are celebrating a special event. I haven't heard of many businesses holding their conventions on a cruise, but they sure do book 5 star hotels, which lessens the possibility of 50% of the guests (most weeks) are celebrating an event like on ANY cruise.

Enjoy whatever vacation you choose.

Archived