Concerned Newbie

Cristallo

I'm a little concerned about my upcoming trip in Nov on the Dawn. I'm starting to notice a trend that both the food and the service on NCL is lacking. We're traveling for our anniversary so the trip is special to us.

I've been trolling the NCL boards but of course they are going to rave about how wonderful it is. Others do the same on their prospective boards.

My questions is the Dawn really that bad? And in turn are the other lines really that much better?

Every line has good qualities and faults. You have a cruise already booked for your anniversary ... you should be excited about it. If you go into the cruise expecting bad food and bad service, you are more likely to find it. My suggestion would be to stop reading reviews and focus on the things you want to make sure to do on your trip to really make it special. Remember, what one person loves, another hates. Your trip will be made special by the time spent with your SO and the memories you make together ... not whether or not your water glass took a while to be filled or if your stead was not quite a perfect medium.

Thanks SilentBob. I too am taking an anniversary cruise in Nov, and as a first timer, I am going through the same thoughts (good food vs bad food, good service vs bad service, new vs old and rusty, etc). I've settled on Celebrity.

Thanks SilentBob. I too am taking an anniversary cruise in Nov, and as a first timer, I am going through the same thoughts (good food vs bad food, good service vs bad service, new vs old and rusty, etc). I've settled on Celebrity.

Is there particular reason you picked Celebrity?

I'm a little concerned about my upcoming trip in Nov on the Dawn. I'm starting to notice a trend that both the food and the service on NCL is lacking. We're traveling for our anniversary so the trip is special to us.

I've been trolling the NCL boards but of course they are going to rave about how wonderful it is. Others do the same on their prospective boards.

My questions is the Dawn really that bad? And in turn are the other lines really that much better?

I have noticed there is always someone willing to bash something about the cruise.. and usually it is the food or the service. While I havent cruised on NCL, yet, it is usually true on all cruise lines, some one is going to find something bad to say. And sometimes there is an off day or an off meal. Our servers assistant had an accident and dropped a whole load of our dishes which delayed our meal... but his service and the food more than made up for the accident and delay. But I could complain and act like it ruined my whole cruise on the contrary he was great, the way he made up for the accident while they made more food was excellent, because he had to wait on us himself while his assistant helped in the kitchen... They both did a fantastic job. Take it with a grain of salt, and maybe some things will only be soso.. and some things fantastic... but there is no such thing as a bad cruise... Next time try another cruise line and then another, and you will find one that suits you.. the one you will stick with 80 - 90% of the time. I have gone on Princess and Carnival so far.. price and ports have influenced my decisions.

Take the negative posts with a grain of salt. There are people who just have to tell everyone about the 1 or 2 things that were subpar. They say nothing about the thousands of good things that happened.

Food on any cruise line is going to be about as good as a decent banquet hall. Some items will be better & some not as good. Service will at least be adequate & most likely excellent. I've only had 1 bad waiter in seven cruises. That was on Princess & the other 6 nights we had about good as you can get waiters.

Go in with an open mind & judge for yourself.

When cruising with the one you love, remember just a few things.

1. The most beautiful thing you will see is your love in the moonlight.

2. Food always tastes better when being fed by the one you love.

3. The showers in the cabins are small for a reason;)

4. Breakfast in bed is the most important meal of the day (2nd is dessert in bed the night before)

5. Holding hands is expected.

If you do these things, what happens around you will be of little consequence.

Thanks everyone.

I think we've decided not to take any cruise at all. All we wanted was a nice relaxing trip where we'll have good service and okay food. From my understanding on the NCL board that that is asking for to much.

Some of the people on this site has crushed my desire for taking a crusie.

Thanks again everyone. I wish everyone good crusing.

Thanks everyone.

I think we've decided not to take any cruise at all. All we wanted was a nice relaxing trip where we'll have good service and okay food. From my understanding on the NCL board that that is asking for to much.

"Good service and okay food" is exactly what you will find on a cruise. You are reading too much into the bad review about the Dawn. You picked that review despite the many other positive reviews and made a decision based on that... well okay you were given a hard time over there too.

There are many of us that cruise over and over, often on the same ship or cruiseline. Do you really think we'd keep doing it if it was so bad. You're getting a bad rap over on the NCL board because your bashing it before experiencing. You're expecting extraordinary things compared to your 5 star hotel experience and expecting something bad before it even happens. It was recommended that cruising might not be for you because things do go wrong from time to time and it doesn't seem like there's room in your vacation for something to go wrong. For cruising to be enjoyable, I think a person has to be able to go with the flow.

I'm not sure how long it's been since you've last traveled, but things have changed dramatically due to the economy. I think you might find that in any location or type of vacation you pick. It's just not the same anymore with everyone having to make cutbacks.

I feel really bad for your decision. It's a great vacation and value for my family... where can you spend about $100 per day per person for a room, all the food you possibly can ever want, entertainment, ports of call, a beautiful ship and good to great service. No NCL will not automatically send you a cake for your anniversary, but once they know about it, they will provide a cake and the waiters will bring it to you and sing. One thing people tend to forget is that there are many, many passengers that are cruising to celebrate an occasion. How can they possibly recognize each and everyone perfectly each time?

By the way, this is what was provided to us when we told them it was our 20th anniversary. Granted we were in a penthouse, but still it shows the length that they will do for someone. There were these swans plus rose petals all over the bed.

1491130981_SwansandRosePetals.jpg.e4bd96449349a48215a516380dc55f2f.jpg

I find it admirable when someone can realize that despite the fact that many enjoy it, that cruising isn't for everyone. No sense doing something that could turn out to be a waste of time and money for them

"Good service and okay food" is exactly what you will find on a cruise. You are reading too much into the bad review about the Dawn. You picked that review despite the many other positive reviews and made a decision based on that... well okay you were given a hard time over there too.

There are many of us that cruise over and over, often on the same ship or cruiseline. Do you really think we'd keep doing it if it was so bad. You're getting a bad rap over on the NCL board because your bashing it before experiencing. You're expecting extraordinary things compared to your 5 star hotel experience and expecting something bad before it even happens. It was recommended that cruising might not be for you because things do go wrong from time to time and it doesn't seem like there's room in your vacation for something to go wrong. For cruising to be enjoyable, I think a person has to be able to go with the flow.

I'm not sure how long it's been since you've last traveled, but things have changed dramatically due to the economy. I think you might find that in any location or type of vacation you pick. It's just not the same anymore with everyone having to make cutbacks.

I feel really bad for your decision. It's a great vacation and value for my family... where can you spend about $100 per day per person for a room, all the food you possibly can ever want, entertainment, ports of call, a beautiful ship and good to great service. No NCL will not automatically send you a cake for your anniversary, but once they know about it, they will provide a cake and the waiters will bring it to you and sing. One thing people tend to forget is that there are many, many passengers that are cruising to celebrate an occasion. How can they possibly recognize each and everyone perfectly each time?

By the way, this is what was provided to us when we told them it was our 20th anniversary. Granted we were in a penthouse, but still it shows the length that they will do for someone. There were these swans plus rose petals all over the bed.

The thing is that it isn't just one review or even 5. I just read the thread about RCI vs NCL and pretty much everyone said that RCI had better service and food. And some of the people saying RCI is better are staunch NCL supporters.

I'm not expecting and you'd have to be crazy to think everything will be perfect every moment of every day. But if you know going into it that there are repeated reports of indifferent service and questionable food quality and those are the base line for the reason your going on the cruise then the egg will be on your face when it happens. The people who have never had a problem with NCL aren't paying for my cruise, I am. I'm going to question things as is my right. Bashing and bullying people for doing that is just tasteless and low class.

As for wanting to be treated special for an event, I'm also not going to apologize for it. There could be hundreds of people celebrating a milestone on a cruise, that doesn't make anyone one of them less special. And to comment on the NCL doing something after knowing about our anniversary they know now. We were asked if we were celebrating our anniversary. I'm willing to bet if I never say anything it would never be acknowledged.

And I would hope they did something for your anniversary both because of the level in which you were sailing but also because of the duration of your marriage.

Also my last trip was in January to NYC.

With all due respect to your wishes and desires, why would you cancel any plans for a cruise just because of the negative comments on ONE cruise line? If NCL isn't your cup of tea, there are many, many other choices out there that will provide you with something pretty close to what you want. I've been very fortunate to have taken 64 cruises, on most of the lines out there, and one thing I know for a fact is that there is something out there, cruising-wise, for just about everyone. Yes, cruising is not for every single soul, but NCL isn't the only game in town. You have a a huge number of choices, in all kinds of ships, with different demographics and various on board offerings.

Don't let negative responses about ONE cruise line put you off from cruising altogether. There are lines that have very good food, exceptional service, and will pamper you beyond belief. No need to just look at NCL. Take a look at the Solstice Class ships of Celebrity, Princess is very good, and even glance at Holland America. Those lines are known to have higher levels in terms of food and service.

One question, how is someone supposed to know you're celebrating an occasion unless you inform them? Not trying to be trite, but cruise lines don't employ mindreaders who know passenger A is celebrating his 65th birthday and couple B is celebrating their 50th Anniversary.

But no matter, it's something you have to decide for yourself.

Best Wishes

One question, how is someone supposed to know you're celebrating an occasion unless you inform them? Not trying to be trite, but cruise lines don't employ mindreaders who know passenger A is celebrating his 65th birthday and couple B is celebrating their 50th Anniversary.

We were asked if we were celebrating our anniversary. I'm willing to bet if I never say anything it would never be acknowledged.

I would assume they would know since they asked us at the time we booked.

Side note. We are looking at different lines now. So far nothing matches our wants. I grew up in the Caribbean so I've been to most of the eastern countries. We wanted to cruise out of Miami since the DH has never been. We picked NCL because it was going to Cozumel and we wanted to see the Mayan Temples. Lastly we picked NCL because of price. Some of the lines you referenced are the one's we wanted but having never been on a boat would be a pricey gamble if we find out we both get sea sick.

Hi Cristallo,

The Dawn is one of the NCL cruisers favorite ship among the fleet. Sometimes they have polls on the boards and she ranks up there. Having sailed Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, and NCL, I understood why they think she is a special ship as I sailed her last year. I am getting ready to sail her again in a few weeks and the recent thread about her does not make me nervous at all. In my opinion, the officers/staff/crew on NCL are the friendliest ever and they do freestyle best among the four lines I mentioned. Any cruise ship on any cruise line can have an "off" week. I think it is great you are asking the questions and doing the research.

coka

I would assume they would know since they asked us at the time we booked.

Side note. We are looking at different lines now. So far nothing matches our wants. I grew up in the Caribbean so I've been to most of the eastern countries. We wanted to cruise out of Miami since the DH has never been. We picked NCL because it was going to Cozumel and we wanted to see the Mayan Temples. Lastly we picked NCL because of price. Some of the lines you referenced are the one's we wanted but having never been on a boat would be a pricey gamble if we find out we both get sea sick.

Just read the rest of your posts. Double check the Mayan Temples tour. Many have raved about it but I have also read some thought it a long ride in a bus and a short stop at the ruins with another long ride in a bus back to the ship. Have you looked into flying to Cozumel and spending a week there? Sometimes the prices are even better than a cruise ship.

Best wishes to you! Keep asking questions...you will make a better decision overall for your anniversay vacation!

coka

Cristallo I am glad that you brought your questions over to these boards. I want to tell you that I have personally sailed on the Dawn 3 times and have never had a bad meal OR a bad cruise. I sailed on the Pearl last year for my 40th Birthday and I am booked on the Pearl again for next March. I was fortunate enough to win a cruise on Princess and sailed this past January.

Out of the 2 different lines, I have to honestly say that NCL is my favorite. I had and still have heard that Princess is a better cruise line. In my opinion they are all the same - MASS MARKET. On Princess I did have some meals that could have been better and there was way too much of a salt content in the food the entire week, but that is my opinion and yes I am salt-sensitive. Something like that make not bother others. Don't go by what others have said about the cruise food - it is so subjective.

A 5 day cruise out of Miami in November is a great way to start to see if you even like cruising. The weather is still warm, the seas for the most part are calm (unless there is a storm of sorts), and it is only 5 days. I had seen one posted suggest you try a 2 day cruise to nowhere - DON'T DO IT!!! People go on those cruises to party and then try to cram a 7 day cruise into those 2 days. With regard to storms, on my first cruise and it was on the Dawn coming back to NY from the Bahamas we were in 30 Ft. seas with Gale force winds for over 24 hours and the ship handled the storm very well.

As far as NCL not asking you why you are cancelling, it is none of their business, it could be for very personal reasons and then you could be offended that they would ask. If you had called and said "I just read the most horrible things on CC about NCL and I wouldn't sail with you ever"......maybe they could try to help you. But people book and cancel cruises everyday. They won't lose out on the $1,200+ they were going to get from you because they could probably sell your cabin at a higher rate and end up making more money.

If you have already made up your mind about taking the cruise and you won't be cruising, I am sorry to hear that. If you are still willing to try it, just do it with an open mind. If it is your anniversary call the front desk and let them know, they will send a card to your cabin to present to the Maitre'D at the restaurant the night you want to celebrate and they will bring you a cake and sing to you. Let your Room Steward know too. Sometimes they will do something special for you, if their time allows. Even thought the reservations Dept. knows you are celebrating, they tend not to forward that information on to the ship personnel.

Good luck with whatever your decision is.

The thing is that it isn't just one review or even 5. I just read the thread about RCI vs NCL and pretty much everyone said that RCI had better service and food. And some of the people saying RCI is better are staunch NCL supporters.

But, you never mention anything about the positive reviews and that's what's frustrating for those who are trying to help you.

I'm not expecting and you'd have to be crazy to think everything will be perfect every moment of every day. But if you know going into it that there are repeated reports of indifferent service and questionable food quality and those are the base line for the reason your going on the cruise then the egg will be on your face when it happens. The people who have never had a problem with NCL aren't paying for my cruise, I am. I'm going to question things as is my right. Bashing and bullying people for doing that is just tasteless and low class.

We have never had indifferent service or questionable food quality. Your looking purely at the negative. You're right, I'm not paying for your cruise, but I would never keep coming back to a cruise line with bad food or service... so why doesn't that count for you... but you do count the negative comments.

Again you're right, you can question anything you want. You probably are a great person with a great attitude. Sometimes in posting here, tone is lost and that is one area, along with how frustrating it has become that you don't want to listen to those of us that have good things to say about NCL. Even in my post here, you still don't ask me specific questions... you keep coming back to the negative.

As for wanting to be treated special for an event, I'm also not going to apologize for it. There could be hundreds of people celebrating a milestone on a cruise, that doesn't make anyone one of them less special. And to comment on the NCL doing something after knowing about our anniversary they know now. We were asked if we were celebrating our anniversary. I'm willing to bet if I never say anything it would never be acknowledged.

NCL is in the business to provide you a cruise vacation. They are not in business to celebrate your anniversary. However, on every special occasion that we celebrated while cruising, with a little planning on our part... simply mentioning to a Maitre D or server, the staff went into gear to do something special. Usually, it was a cake delivered to our table. One time we were too full, so they sent it to our room. One time our waiter made me a bouquet of flowers from paper napkins which were incredibly pretty. The picture that I showed in our suite was over the top. But, even in balcony rooms or mini-suites, we've had a special cake or some recognition.

You're right again, even though NCL asked you during the reservation process if you were celebrating something, once on the ship it probably would not be acknowledge. I say so what, nudge them a bit. If you can't accept this little responsibility or will feel slighted that you had to do so, then my opinion is that cruising is not for you.

One other thing I want to mention is because I read that there is a specific port you want to get to. Sometimes a ship is not able to make the port of call that you are scheduled for. There are many circumstances that might create this. We've had it twice... both to engine trouble. However, weather could play a part or a medical emergency on the ship. There are variables while cruising that you also should consider while making your decision. By the way, this is not unique to NCL but it is all spelled out in your cruise contract.

And I would hope they did something for your anniversary both because of the level in which you were sailing but also because of the duration of your marriage.

Also my last trip was in January to NYC.

See above red comments.

Thanks everyone.

Too bad you let those posts talk you out of your cruise. NCL would give you a relaxing trip with good service and more-than-okay food. We've always enjoyed our NCL cruises just as much as our others. That is why we'll be aboard NCL for 33 days in Sept/Oct, enjoying a relaxing trip with good service and more-than-okay food.

I sure hope you change your mind.

Archived