Swiss Army Knife

Hoon

Yes, I have done this with just a regular pocket knife.

Mike

Until a few years ago (9/11) I didn't feel dressed unless mine was in my pocket. Now I'm scared it would be taken away at any door you go through.

You didn't state the size of your knife. I always have a small one, just blade, scissor, toothpick and tweezer. Only about 1 1/2 " long total.

Pack it on a plane, but ship security has never said anything.

I have placed my Swiss Army knife in my checked luggage for the last 2 cruises.

No problem !

Sure is handy for all the little things that need doing once on board.

(Like opening wine bottles)

You didn't state the size of your knife. I always have a small one, just blade, scissor, toothpick and tweezer. Only about 1 1/2 " long total.

Pack it on a plane, but ship security has never said anything.

A 3” blade. Knife blade, maybe 2, cork screw, scissors, file, about 12 blades/tools in all.

Until a few years ago (9/11) I didn't feel dressed unless mine was in my pocket. Now I'm scared it would be taken away at any door you go through.

Yes I know what you mean. I carry a pocket knife as something I use in my job, and feel weird without it.

Sad but funny story(for me anyway): On our Christmas cruise, I went straight home from work, grabbed my bags and went straight to the airport. After checking my bags, and walking to the security line I realized my leatherman was still on my belt. Our checked baggage was already gone, so I reluctantly handed it to the TSA guy, as our flight was boarding and I didn't have time to figure anything else out. I bought a new one when I got back, but the style has changed, and I really hate it. Oh well...

Mike

We were challenged on the Island Princess because of a pair of surgical scissors taken from our first aid kit. After the general meeting and discussion, we were allowed to proceed with them. Had they been in our checked luggage they would of course have come aboard without question. Reasoning?

Don't you think it is also rather silly challenging pocketknives being brought aboard when, as you sit at your table in the Crown Grill, they present you with a steak knife sufficient in size to support a mutiny? Reasoning?

I always carry my Swiss Soldier knife with me on the ship. Flying I put in checked baggage. ONce on the ship I start carrying it. Even when we go off ship I carry it. When re-boarding the ship I put it in my backpack or fanny pack to go through the scanner. Never had a problem with carrying it on and off ship.

A couple of years ago we docked in New York.

I did some shopping as I wanted some really good kitchen knives, and in Oz. they are very expensive.

I bought what I needed, and went back on board. My bag went through the scanner. Not a word was said, I expected to be challenged and have them confiscated, but no.

In reality, I could have done a lot of damage to someone, bearing in mind the thinking at the time. Crikey, Air New Zealand took a jewellers screw driver I used to tighten up the screws on my spectacles, off me, but the ship security mob, they didn't seem to worry.

This is a bit off topic I know, sorry, but back on now, I carry a Swiss army knife and pair of pliers set, where ever I go, I'll have these with me next trip, as usual. They will go through in checked in luggage.

Dick

Archived