Corkage Fee - Large Format Bottles

PirateShark

We are (were?) planning on bringing a couple of Magnum sized bottles of wine for our group dinners on our Alaskan cruise. Would this be frowned upon by HAL or welcomed? I do expect to pay corkage of course as per the information found on the website :o

I don't see any problem; the corkage fee should cover a single cork, I would presume, independent of the size of the bottle, and I'm sure that the wine steward will get a kick out of pouring it, especially if you give him a little extra tip!:)

If you bring the bottles through Canada customs, your duty-free allowance is 1.5 liters per person, which just covers a magnum.

Just don't try to sneak through any Nebuchadnezzars:D

We had a great experience a few years ago with a magnum bottle. We were staying in a suite and once onboard, asked the consierge to send it to the dining room. When we arrived there that night, the wine was waiting on our table with 2 huge Holland America etched wine glasses. The wine stewart visited with us and told us that a bottle that big required extra large glasses. He went on to say that if we purchased a bottle of wine from him during the week, we could keep the glasses. Of course we did and I still think about how nice he was when I use them at home.

I brought a double magnum on a Celebrity cruise ($25 corkage) The sommelier did

not know how to open it. Took us five days to empty it.

On Holland I always bring magnum bottles, never a problem.

Greg

You didn't mention which port you will be leaving from -- Seattle or Vancouver.

This makes a difference in how many bottles you can bring onto the ship.

US -- unlimited.

Canada -- restrictions.

I think the "restrictions" you are referring to are for US residents coming thru Customs into Canada -- there is a limit they can bring across the border to Canada. However, if a US citizen purchases the wine in Canada, I don't think there are restrictions on how much they can take on board the ship out of Vancouver.

We're departing out of Seattle so there shouldn't be any limitations. As of today, we have 12 people paid in our group and another 5-7 who are still on the fence. We will go through a magnum (or two, or three) with absolutley no problem :D

Thanks to all for the feedback. We absolutely cannot wait to go!

Archived