Southampton - Canaries, how rough is the sea?

Col1874

Good Afternoon,

We're leaving Southampton on Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas in October.

Is anyone able to tell me if the sea is rough between Southampton & the canaries?

IoS is a large ship so I assume it'll be a pretty smooth journey?

Thanks,

Colin

Tricky to say really - have done this one 3 times and each time it has been fine and we didn't have any bother. No doubt someone will report that they had it rough. The Bay & the Atlantic can vary so much - flat one day and rough the next. October can also vary enormously. If you are good sailors then you should be fine. If not, then I recommend Phenergan from the chemist which tends to sort me out pretty well!!! You will still have a great holiday & experience.

Good Afternoon,

We're leaving Southampton on Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas in October.

Is anyone able to tell me if the sea is rough between Southampton & the canaries?

Thanks,

Colin

Assume nothing,not even on a large ship.You would have a better ride on a proper Ocean going Liner.Alas not many of them around these days.

Sorry to report that I have experienced rough seas around the Canaries themselves in September. We were on a big cruise ship but it was still pretty rocky - all the drawers in the cabin were going in and out with every roll of the ship! Some Stugeron soon sorted out any queasiness though.

It's the luck of the draw! Can't control mother nature!

Even if it's rough I always enjoy the experience :eek:

If you think you'll be queasy - make sure you start on travel pills just before you set out... Candied ginger always gets a good write up as well !

We love to cruise and have spent nearly two years of our lives on cruise ships. It still amazes us about how many folks will ask us to predict sea and weather conditions. Its like trying to predict the weather anywhere and the only thing that is guaranteed is that nobody has a clue! My standard answer to anyone who worries about sea conditions is that you should consider staying on land.

Hank

Good Afternoon,

Thanks,

Colin

We sailed on the Independence of the Seas from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale last November. There were gale warnings out for the Bay of Biscay and I worried about it constantly. The ship handled the waves quite well. It really did not bother us too much but we had on our Scopalamine patches (anti-nausea). Just take or wear something as a preventative measure.

Thank you all for your replies - To be honest im really not worried about it, I've experienced rough sea's on a small ferry (Newcastle to Denmark) and that was an experience & a half! :D

Archived