Solstice question: "Surround Sound Entertainment System"

Tom-n-Cheryl

For our 5/30/10 Solstice sailing I just upgraded to a Celebrity Suite. On the Celebrity site it indicates the following (among the list of features):

Surround sound entertainment system with 52" LCD TV

Does anyone know if that system would allow the connection of an mp3 player, is there a DVD player, and is there a way to hook up a video game system (that our 18 yo son plans to bring)?

Any insight would be helpful!!

Thanks,

Tom

It is very unlikely you will be able to hook anything up to the system. Celebrity, like other cruise lines have a proprietary system for their television and sound systems that do not allow any other devices to be connected. The remote provided and accessible controls on the units have limited selection available to you, and pre-programmed buttons specifically for Celebrity use. Many people have tried, I know none that have succeeded. Sorry

It is very unlikely you will be able to hook anything up to the system. Celebrity, like other cruise lines have a proprietary system for their television and sound systems that do not allow any other devices to be connected. The remote provided and accessible controls on the units have limited selection available to you, and pre-programmed buttons specifically for Celebrity use. Many people have tried, I know none that have succeeded. Sorry

Understood - and I knew that's where I stood with the Concierge Cabin we had, as they are fed directly from the wall. I thought, with a "Surround Sound Entertainment System" that comes in that suite that it might offer the chance of hooking something up if there is even ONE external component. Are you familiar with (have you seen) these entertainment systems on the Solstice?

Thanks,

Tom

I saw detailed pictures of the TV system in a Solstice AQ cabin and clearly saw A / V connectors easily accessible on the side but they could be disabled via the remote. Most of the more upscale hotels I stay in allow you to connect to the system via these connectors but cruise lines do not always follow the norm.

I saw detailed pictures of the TV system in a Solstice AQ cabin and clearly saw A / V connectors easily accessible on the side but they could be disabled via the remote. Most of the more upscale hotels I stay in allow you to connect to the system via these connectors but cruise lines do not always follow the norm.

Thanks - yes, I was aware of the HOTEL MODE setting on the Toshiba sets on the Solstice. That mode blocks the other inputs from being accessible. I had already purchased a Toshiba remote, and have the necessary info detailing how to access the set-up (factory menu) to turn OFF hotel mode on their TV's (:D) for purposes of hooking up a video game. The unknown now, since we have switched to a suite --- is the 52" set in there also a Toshiba, and if it's not, does this "entertainment system" have at least one separate component (DVD player) which should be hooked up via traditional methods, thus perhaps an easy unplug/replug would solve the question.

To those who would ask "why in the world, on a ship with so much to do, would those boys want to spend hours playing video games". My answer is... that is what they really enjoy. They are not going to be dancing in a teen disco, or meeting short term friends and hanging out... etc...

I have put in a request through the Captain's Club regarding the specifics of the system, and hopefully will hear back from them soon (though the last time it took them 3 weeks to reply)!

Thanks,

Tom

Tom! It's like deja vu! Once again I can't help you, but I always find your quests for technical info so interesting!

Good luck!:)

Thanks for the GOOD LUCK wish -- it appears that I'll need it! :eek:

:D

Tom

Going this weekend, will let you know. From my understanding you can unplug the VGA cable to the mac mini and hook it to your laptop to stream movies from your pc. I am sure I could also hook my audio out from my laptop to play mp3's. This will bypass the lockout that the hotel mode has -- I will let you know.

Going this weekend, will let you know. From my understanding you can unplug the VGA cable to the mac mini and hook it to your laptop to stream movies from your pc. I am sure I could also hook my audio out from my laptop to play mp3's. This will bypass the lockout that the hotel mode has -- I will let you know.

Great - if possible, do report back!

What cabin (category) are you in?

THANKS!

Tom

RS on sky deck

Thanks - have a GREAT cruise!!

(Take a few photos of the actual set up, components, and connections if possible... that would be PERFECT!) :cool:

Tom

Also - if you could make note of the brand of TV, that might prove useful if any HOTEL MODE adjustments become necessary.

I received an email from someone at the Captain's Club in response to my questions regarding the possibility of hooking up an mp3 player or video source to the "Entertainment System". They said that nothing could be hooked up, and there was not a DVD player or any external components. I replied back with "... what then allows you to call it an entertainment SYSTEM?"! Hopefully they are not fully aware of what's in there. We just got off the Century this morning, and at least both TV's in our suite had DVD players (1 also with a surround sound setup).

Tom

We just got off the solstice on sunday. We were in cc not a suite, but our butler told us that NO rooms allow video source to entertainment system. DH was very frustrated b/c we had seen pics posted on this forum showing the input bar and since our son was with us he was planning on watching DVD's on the laptop.

For your sake, hopefully our butler was wrong and SOME suites are not blocked

Will be interesting to hear your report of this after your cruise ~ enjoy

We just got off the solstice on sunday. We were in cc not a suite, but our butler told us that NO rooms allow video source to entertainment system. DH was very frustrated b/c we had seen pics posted on this forum showing the input bar and since our son was with us he was planning on watching DVD's on the laptop.

For your sake, hopefully our butler was wrong and SOME suites are not blocked

Will be interesting to hear your report of this after your cruise ~ enjoy

Thanks. Yes, I will be sure to report back (hopefully with at least a little bit of good news)!

Tom

Not a response to your technical question, but rather to your 18 y.o. not wanting to go to a teen disco.

My 17 y.o. did NOT want to go to the "kid's club," but I registered him. The first night, they sent an invitation that was for 17 and 18 year olds. We hardly saw him again! There were about 20-25 kids who hung out together and had a great time, but rarely participated in the structured events.

Hopefully, yours will keep an open mind and go to the first night's event. Nothing to lose by an hour or two.

Not a response to your technical question, but rather to your 18 y.o. not wanting to go to a teen disco.

My 17 y.o. did NOT want to go to the "kid's club," but I registered him. The first night, they sent an invitation that was for 17 and 18 year olds. We hardly saw him again! There were about 20-25 kids who hung out together and had a great time, but rarely participated in the structured events.

Hopefully, yours will keep an open mind and go to the first night's event. Nothing to lose by an hour or two.

That's good to know they have a 17/18 year old group. On Carnival, at 18, you are pretty much on your own. Since he will be 18 and his friends 17, that opens up possibilities.

Tom

Also - if you could make note of the brand of TV, that might prove useful if any HOTEL MODE adjustments become necessary.

I received an email from someone at the Captain's Club in response to my questions regarding the possibility of hooking up an mp3 player or video source to the "Entertainment System". They said that nothing could be hooked up, and there was not a DVD player or any external components. I replied back with "... what then allows you to call it an entertainment SYSTEM?"! Hopefully they are not fully aware of what's in there. We just got off the Century this morning, and at least both TV's in our suite had DVD players (1 also with a surround sound setup).

Tom

Hi Tom, welcome back. Nice meeting you and your family this past weekend.

I am really surprised that the new ship does not have a DVD and especially not in the Suites. We have a cruise planned for August on the HAL Maasdam (one of their older ships which is going into a major drydock next year) and per their website all of their staterooms have DVD players so why doesn't Celebrity? I am surprised.

Hi Tom, welcome back. Nice meeting you and your family this past weekend.

I am really surprised that the new ship does not have a DVD and especially not in the Suites. We have a cruise planned for August on the HAL Maasdam (one of their older ships which is going into a major drydock next year) and per their website all of their staterooms have DVD players so why doesn't Celebrity? I am surprised.

I guess they don't feel DVD players are needed since they have a large selection of free movies on-demand (some pay movies too).

Free movies on demand - really? I was not aware of that!!

Tom

There are quite a few of them...fairly good ones too. Some newer ones, some classics. I like to watch a movie before I go to sleep, as I am not a disco queen ;), and there were enough to entertain me on my last 12 day cruise.

I trust you had a GREAT cruise! Any luck in the audio/video department?

THANKS!

Tom

Archived